Where did you mount your GoPro on your helmet?

OhioBob

I am trying to determine the best place to mount my GoPro on my helmets. I have heard some say the top others the side, still others on the front. Others have said to get a chest mount instead. I purchased a handlebar mount, but never opened it because of second thoughts that the vibrations of my V-Twin and the Thumper (CRF450X SM) will be too much for the camera.

So, I am trying to gather as much info before proceeding.

Currently, I have two helmets. Bell Star Full Face and Bell Moto-8

So, where did you mount your GoPro on your helmet? Or where did you discover the best place to mount it?

Thanks in advance.

I mounted it on top to get it out of the stream of wind drag I get from my windshield. I used the suction cup too because I didn't want to permanently mount it. The fairing shots I took were way more shaky compared to the helmet but the fairings are easy to shake. You may have better luck with mounting it on something solid like the handle bars or what I was thinking of doing and mounting it to the rear set with the bicycle handle bar mount.

On top looking down makes for a cool angle, but also generates a lot of drag at highway speeds. I heard good things about doing the chin bar, but the bells have a pointy chin bar, so it's hard to do the adhesive right. I made good video with it on the side of the tail fairing looking past my hip and knee.

You are gonna get wind drag anywhere, its just how much you get. I found that it being on top generated less than on the side because my windscreen makes a very dirty air stream directly into my helmet so putting it on top took it out of that stream but then put it in less drag. So depending on how your windscreen is designed, the chin mount might be the best bet.

I used the suction cup too because I didn't want to permanently mount it.

I thought about that but ended up using the adhesive. I'm never selling a well-used helmet (gross) so it's not like I'm worried about ruining the value.

I mounted mine on the right side of the helmet but it was later pointed out to me that I should have done the left side (easy enough) because it will always be nearer to the center of the road.

The down side is that there is drag but really not a lot until you get up over 65 or so. You look weird too but who cares.

The helmet mount is great because it follows where you are looking. The bad part is, a glance at something is all you need for your eyes/brain. For the camera (and subsequent video) it's way too fast. Case in point, I passed a hottie on the highway and as I passed I turned to look at her knowing I would catch it on the vid (it was my first day with the GoPro) :D. I felt like I was looking over for a long time but when I watched the vid, you barely see her.

Thanks to all for the replies. After your suggestions/advice and watching several YouTube videos and figuring out that with a household hairdryer that the adhesive mount plate will come right off with no ill effects to the helmet...I decided to try mounting it on top of my helmet. It has seem to work out pretty good. Of course the wind noise is very annoying, but I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Also, I read on GoPro's site about the CineForm software is going to be adding a undistort or fishbowl distortion correction feature in their next update of the software so that should fix any of that funking looking video. But honestly it doesn't look that bad, at least not to me for being my first full ride recording. Although, yes the look is odd and I got several stares and questions in the group ride I was in yesterday. My favorite question was from one of the riders, "Is that thing on?" Yep. Or Nope I just like wearing it and looking like a goof. LOL

As for the drag, not much noticeable, especially on my Bell Star. That helmet flows so much air inside the helmet I should be wearing ear plugs. I me for a hot day like yesterday, I was cool. And speaking about the Bell Star helmets, yes you are correct, the chin bar is pointing making it nearly impossible to mount the GoPro there.

Thanks again to all. I will try to do some sort videos to post up for all to view and decide whether it worked out good or not.

OhioBob

How is the vibration of the recordings having it mounted directly to your bike? I tooks some others' advice and have mounted it on my helmet and just purchased the chesty. I saw an advertisement for a $40 or $50 motorcycle/handlebar mount which I believe has the appropriate vibration absorption material to be mounted directly on the bike.

I picked up the mirror blockoff plates with the gopro attachment from the WERA classifides seller. It works really well, I don't like them on the helmet as every time you move your head the camera moves.

I liked it because of that reason, I like the first person perspective. But mounting on the bike is nice too because you can see how the bike is moving and how far you are leaning into corners.

I will have to agree about the comment of helmet mount and moving around or looking around. I know first hand now how much I check my mirrors as well as left and right of me. I guess I am either very cautious rider or paranoid. LOL