....I need a wizard.....

MIKE53ALI

Anybody REALLY good at getting broken bolts out? I have one stuck in my subframe. There's a little bit of the bolt sticking out. If you're near Akron, please do contact me. There may be some small compensation for your time...

Thanks

Simple solution.....go find your self an easy out extractor kit. Lots of hardware places sell them for both rounded and broken heads. They're simple to use and don't require torches.

Problem solved.

I have NEVER had an ez-out work. They ALWAYS snap off, leaving the bolt un-drillable.

Every. Single. Time.

I'm sure they would work great on on rounded bolts, but if the threads are siezed enough to snap off a bolt of X dimension, what makes you think a reverse drill bit of less than X dimension is going to hold? Sure, it's hardened... But Hardened is just another word for Brittle.

I have NEVER had an ez-out work. They ALWAYS snap off, leaving the bolt un-drillable.

Every. Single. Time.

I'm sure they would work great on on rounded bolts, but if the threads are siezed enough to snap off a bolt of X dimension, what makes you think a reverse drill bit of less than X dimension is going to hold? Sure, it's hardened... But Hardened is just another word for Brittle.

Sorry about your luck, but just because you might not know how to use them properly doesn't mean they are a waste not worth a try.

A little penetrating oil before extracting if need be and I have never had a single problem. If it's really that stuck I try to drill the remaining bolt/screw completely through it's center with a small bit, then use the extractor and this has work well for me also.

Bottom line....they wouldn't make them if they didn't work.

• Upvote 1

Hahaha, sorry, but that's not right at all. They will keep making anything and everything if it sells, regardless of if it works or not. Ever heard of Kevin Trudeau from late night tv? He used to sell his books directly, then the federal government stepped in to stop him because they didn't work. He is still selling his stuff, but indirectly now (legally). Money is the driving factor in a capitalist economy, not usefulness. FYI I have never used an extractor kit, so I am not weighing in on their effectiveness.

Anyway, I'm sure there is a way to get the bolt out; I have never seen one that didn't have the potential for extraction (from that new of a vehicle). How much threaded portion is sticking out? You could use a wrench, or I have used a dremel to cut either a phillips or flat-head in the screw and get it out that way. If it is flush you can always drill it out (if it is really stubborn use a tap afterwards to clean the threads). If it is a blind tap, then it could be removed with a sinker EDM (not really cost effective if you don't have one). There are lots of options!

PB blaster, heat, weld a nut on what's left and use a socket to remove.

This will work too if you have a welder, otherwise it would probably cost you $25-$30

Hahaha, sorry, but that's not right at all. They will keep making anything and everything if it sells, regardless of if it works or not. Ever heard of Kevin Trudeau from late night tv? He used to sell his books directly, then the federal government stepped in to stop him because they didn't work. He is still selling his stuff, but indirectly now (legally). Money is the driving factor in a capitalist economy, not usefulness. FYI I have never used an extractor kit, so I am not weighing in on their effectiveness.

I don't think this thread was started to so you could spout off about the driving force of any product ever made or a clearly notable shyster. It is in fact about effectiveness. Effectiveness to remove something broken.

So, let me rephrase:

Bottom line....what doesn't work for some clear works for others.

(there, no ambiguity or ties to capitalistic economies ;) )

How about you post a picture of the broken fastener so we might help you a little less precariously.

Fastener removers work fine. You have to buy quality tools' date=' though. I don't want to be called a tool snob, but my Snap-On kit has never failed me.[/quote']

Have you used an extractor to remove a bolt that snapped off during removal due to the threads being seized? I've only had luck with bolts that snapped while tightening it, ie threads not seized.

I have the IRWIN version of this set, and absolutely one of my favorite tools...

All that's left of the bolt is some of the threaded shaft

If there is enough of the threaded shaft sticking out that you can pound one of those bolt grippers on, it still might work I've used them on socket head cap screws that have been stripped...

whatever you use, good penetrating oil is probably your best bet, PB blaster or similar for getting good results...

Sorry about your luck, but just because you might not know how to use them properly doesn't mean they are a waste not worth a try.

A little penetrating oil before extracting if need be and I have never had a single problem. If it's really that stuck I try to drill the remaining bolt/screw completely through it's center with a small bit, then use the extractor and this has work well for me also.

How are those penis pills working out for you?

:p

EZ Outs suck for seized bolts. Seen them used properly many times in our shop and had them snap. They only work on stripped bolts in my experience.

A left handed drill bit, heat and patience work much better on seized stuff...with less room for "oh fuck".

You guys are awesome! I have not fixed this yet... Due to having snapped my axle shaft on my car on Thursday... Got that fixed so this damn bolt is next on the list... In the meantime I may post a pic if I can... I like the welded nut idea and/or the dremmeling to fit a flathead screwdriver in there.....

PB blaster, heat, weld a nut on what's left and use a socket to remove.

This works well. But you need to know how to weld inside like that.

I use an impact driver. Hammer type. If part is exposed, I'll cut a straight slot across with hacksaw or dremel. And use the impact driver with a slot bit. Work it left and right till it loosens. Over the years I've learned to not break them quite as often. Stop before it breaks, and hit it a bunch of times with a hammer and a mild steel or brass drift to get at it if necessary. The impacts will loosen it up a lot. You can even use a smaller deep well socket and hit that. 3 and 4 pound short sledge hammers rule. Can't live without one.

Steel hardware in aluminum threads can corrode and seize (if wet). Assemble with Loctite or anti-seize.

thanks guys! jamal (malayinvasion) drilled the bolt out for me. I am to skiddish to take a drill to my bike, and honestly I'd rather take a slip of the drill to my arm then to the subframe of my aprilia.... thanks guys.....