Don't hit & run you will be caught

Uncle Punk

look at quarter mile times for a stock 600 and a modded sti and you will find them to be very comparable. comparing a single driver vs a single rider has too many variables. hence bench racing.

also, 330hp sti is VERY mildly modded....previous gen stis were hitting those numbers with bolt ons....i guess we have a different idea of mildly modded...i am thinking in the 500hp range and/or low 11s quarter mile times....it doesnt take a whole lot to do on an sti, but its not cheap either....an sti can do 11s on a stock bottom end, so bolt ons and turbo upgrades are IMO "mild mods"...i dont consider something heavily modded if its still on a stock bottom end (motor wise at least....not saying a fully built suspension and tube chassis whatever is not modded if its stock bottom end...just talking about motors)

Ah I was thinking mild mods=bolt ons. I think he runs high 12's(afraid to launch it)

Very true serpent, but the scenario presented to us left nowhere for the bike to go. Rural roads and little traffic doesn't leave you with a lot of choices for duck and cover. The guy that ran from the truck even took a huge risk. The guy that ran from the STI was just stupid IMHO. I don't care what you think of your skills on a bike, there's just too many variables on public roads to be trying to outrun a sports car.

Never underestimate the crazyness of a redneck. As for sports car vs bike. I think that a sports car's main advantage on backroads is that it is not so much at the mercy of road debris (ie gravel). In a debris free corner a bike can pull about 1.2 to 1.3 lateral g's in the hands of a skilled rider. (A 45 degree lean angle with no hanging off is 1.0 lateral gs). Most sporty roadgoing cars can pull about 1.0 gs (corvette z06 skidpad tested at 1.1 gs by road & track magazine). Note that I am not talking about F1 cars or even Ariel Atoms here. Most litre bikes have approximately the same power to weight ratio as a 1000 horsepower sports car. There are not a lot of 1000 horsepower sports cars out there. (Not even too many 600 horsepower cars) Theoretically a typical sportbike should be able to outcorner & outrun a typical sports car on a twisty road. In reality, the average sports car driver will probably outrun the average sportbike rider on a twisty road because cars require less skill to pull those corner gs and are not as prone to road debris crashes. The only car I've ever had try to run me down was a Chevrolet Trailblazer (No, I didn't hit & run). I had 2 riders behind him that didn't want to pass after they saw his antics so I basically just kept him out of gunshot range for about 20 miles until he finally turned off.

All those vids make good points. But there is one common issue, timing. I have been to Deals Gaps in my RX7, and just last week in my Legacy. I have done RT555 with several people from here, though I had the RX7 out for that. My point being that timing is everything in running roads like these for a "spirited" drive/ride. I will only run Deals for vids, first thing in the early morning. There's is way too much traffic mid day on any of the fun roads these days. At some point, you have to realize there is going to be a problem.

A few weeks ago, Hocklick and I did a 555/669 run. Hardly spirited, but just to get out and see the area. It was a Thursday, mid day = no traffic and left alone.

Over all if you want a fun drive or ride, time it out and get up early to hit those roads so you can run your 100%. Otherwise, understand when you are only able to do 50% and feel like you are wasting your time. You could get your car, or you hit. You could get run off the road by a farmer, who's tired of you people racing on the roads in his area. Get there early and get out early, or go to the track where you car be wide open the whole time.

And for those who questioning a car Vs. bike on these roads, I'll run the GoPro and be chase in the Legacy or the RX7 for anyone wanting to compare. But all i see is a rider pushing it too far to make a point and there being an accident. jschaf makes good points above.

Bike will deff get away from any car. This vid is from me at the gap when i barely was learning to ride. I saw these 2 cars crushing the gap so i let them leave then i started my chase. If i had wanted to risk myself i could have passed them and been gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBe_pQKdClU&list=UUl5WVVg8HtKbQxgAGPdQ3tA&index=1&feature=plcp

Btw NEVER ride like this on the road!!!!

Bike will deff get away from any car. This vid is from me at the gap when i barely was learning to ride. I saw these 2 cars crushing the gap so i let them leave then i started my chase. If i had wanted to risk myself i could have passed them and been gone.

Btw NEVER ride like this on the road!!!!

You said it, NEVER ride like this on the road. I got about half way through and couldn't keep seeing you cross the line another dozen times. I never did see any cars you were chasing, but could tell you are a good rider. Well enough to not have to cross the line. I'm guessing anyone who could straighten out the curves would be able to go faster. I might watch the rest later and edit this if need be.

Watched a little more. That WRX made my eyes bleed. He should have pulled over 3 turns into you getting on him and not being able to pull from you. And he was all over the line too.

The cars on Deals piss me off way more than anything bikes do there. Cars/trucks need to get the hell out of the way, as bike have more risk, but more maneuverability. What I ran into last week was slow cruising bikes who didn't know to pull over. I wasn't even giving it effort and these guys were slooooow. This was a mid afternoon pass, just trying to get back to Fontana after spending the day in Tennessee.

Regardless, there's no defending what should be done on the track. I'm guilty.

the real advantages a bike has is it's ability to go where a car can't, take off quickly, and filter through traffic real easy and stop repeatedly without loss in braking power. in those cases the car driver will have to really really try to keep up.

most cars brakes will over heat with several mins of hard use. if you can get a car into that situation, it wont take long before it's hardly able to stop for turns or traffic.

I haven't rode with everyone here but would guess that my suv can keep up with 80% of the riders here on back roads. Parks should be able to verify that, I was surprised as well about how easy it was to keep up with bikes on the back roads and always believed that it couldn't happen. Experience has shown me to be wrong in what I thought on the matter. If you haven't been around a vehicle trying to keep up on the back roads you have no idea how capable they are. Brakes are it's downfall as stated above. I have kept up with the local stunting crowd on the back four lane highways until we get into traffic, mostly because they have the bikes geared so they can't go over 130MPH. Riding a bike is more fun but it's easier to go faster in a car.

I have been a passenger in a Z06 at Nelson running 1:12s and other than safety equipment and brake pad upgrades the car was stock. (Older 405HP model.) From my understanding that is a quick pace on that track for a bike. Some are faster than that but it's a very small percentage. I would put my money on a car in most cases knowing that they can be beat but the odds are in most cases it won't be the case.

I would be inclined to put my odds on a fast car over a bike simply because the biker is at greater risk of physical harm an most sensible riders are not going to push it as far as a cager will.

There are always exceptions - but anyone who has tracked their car will know that you spend a lot of time in corners playing with the limits of adhesion and knowing how far you can pushing before losing it. A biker who is not on a suicide mission is not going to want to test the limits of grip up to (and potentially including) losing control...

If you are running for your life then it may be different - but to avoid a traffic ticket?

^^ Agreed.

Gixxie750, by far has the ability. But the risk for a bike is way more than a car would have with any debris on the road around the next corner. No matter how good your line is, you're rolling the dice all the time. Hell, that's why I really don't like to ride on the street. What the hell is a couch cushion doing in the road? It just takes something like that, and it happened to me a couple years ago. Everyone rides for their own reason though I guess. There is justification to anyone in the risks they take. And someone always on the outside looking in, telling them how wrong it is. Like I was with earlier comments. But without risk, living isn't really living. I think we can all relate a bit to that. It's mitigating the risk that becomes our challenge.

If it is a game of life or death, I'd run and doubt I would be caught, but remember the car only has to 'tag' the bike and your life could be over in an instant. It would be a rare case for me to run. Some drivers/cars/suv's are just damn fast. I might not run from UP's bad ass Chevy SS (nah, I'd probably still run) ;)

Bikers like to believe they are so much faster than the cars. The reality is, on backroads, your only advantage is acceleration. Braking is about the same for bike/car. Cornering - car has advantage. One category is a push, the other two are split. Yet the rider has so much more risk.

Advantage - sporty car.

Chris