Toyota mechanic needed - 22RE head gasket

max power

I did a head gasket on my old 22R, gotta love those tiny OHC's. Took maybe an hour. But the RE's injection would surely add time to the job

I did mine as well. Biggest pain in the ass was putting it all back together only to find out there was a crack in the head. Had that not happened, it would've been a smooth experience.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears it may be the timing chain has worn through the cover breaching the water and oil pump that is attached to the cover. Not sure that the gasket is bad at all. Anybody know how to tell for sure?

I have anti-freeze in the oil but no white smoke (or smoke of any kind) while running. Oil also isnt getting milky, but gets way overfull while it loses anti-freeze. No leaks.

It appears it may be the timing chain has worn through the cover breaching the water and oil pump that is attached to the cover. Not sure that the gasket is bad at all. Anybody know how to tell for sure?

I have anti-freeze in the oil but no white smoke (or smoke of any kind) while running. Oil also isnt getting milky, but gets way overfull while it loses anti-freeze. No leaks.

It sure sounds like if it were the head gasket you'd get some white smoke, have a misfire, or something. I see where that could happen.