cycling questions

redkow97

I'll agree with one of swingset's points there. It really sucks when bicyclists (usually the ones in the flaming jerseys) ride two abreast knowing full well that a vehicle is approaching from the rear and don't go single file to let the said vehicle pass. I ride bicycle a lot & always ride in a lane position that will let car drivers pass without crossing the centerline. It's the courteous thing to do. I love it when I'm on my motorcycle when passing the arrogant "two abreast" guys. I just maintain speed, keep about 1 1/2 feet left of centerline & hold the horn button in from the time I'm about 10 feet away until I'm about 10 feet past for a nice dopler effect.

I ride bicycle a lot & always ride in a lane position that will let car drivers pass without crossing the centerline.

:confused:How fucking wide are the roads you ride on? Even if I rode directly on top of the white line, there is no way a car could pass me giving the required three feet of clearance and not be across the centerline. This is the reason I ride a couple of feet out in the lane. I want any car that's going to overtake me to know well in advance that they are going to have to make sure there is nothing coming the other way when they pass me because they aren't going to squeeze by just sharing my lane. I guess if I was on roads that have twelve foot wide lanes I would change my riding style, but as it is, last thing I want to do is encourage someone to think they can pass me while there is oncoming traffic. :eek:

I'll agree with one of swingset's points there. It really sucks when bicyclists (usually the ones in the flaming jerseys) ride two abreast knowing full well that a vehicle is approaching from the rear and don't go single file to let the said vehicle pass. I ride bicycle a lot & always ride in a lane position that will let car drivers pass without crossing the centerline. It's the courteous thing to do. I love it when I'm on my motorcycle when passing the arrogant "two abreast" guys. I just maintain speed, keep about 1 1/2 feet left of centerline & hold the horn button in from the time I'm about 10 feet away until I'm about 10 feet past for a nice dopler effect.

Fag

First' date=' the being a dick part was sarcasm. Didn't you see the stupid fucking smiley guy? Dumbass.

Second, no bike paths take me to work and back. I've already covered this.

Third, fuck you and fuck your commute. I ride bike paths, too. I just can't get to work via one of them.

I don't hold up any cars on my commute. There isn't enough traffic to hold up anywhere that I ride my bike. I don't live in fucked up Columbus, where every person behind the wheel is a self-centered, midget-dicked asshat that thinks they have the right to the whole goddamn universe because they drive a fucking car, or have a fucking job, or have a fucking date, or have to take a shit.

Fuck you. Fuck them. Fuck your commutes. Fuck all of them.[/quote']

Damn........talk about being hostile, fuck fuck fuck and fuck. Allow me to buy you a beer sometime "or several" here in fucked up Columbus, which I don't happen to live in. I get that you are a sarcastic dick more than you aren't, and I have no issues with that at all. Can't see where I attacked you, just gave my not so popular opinion on cyclists "CERTAINLY NOT JUST YOU" being on the roads. I hope you are getting your fat ass in shape, and be safe out there on the roads you ride on....dumbass.:p

With regard to people walking dogs with leashes across the path: guilty.

But any time i see riders approaching or if they signal from behind me, I shorten up the leash to a couple feet to let people pass.

Like so many things in life, trails require good communication. Talk, ring, or whatever. Just let people know where you are, and there shouldn't be an issue.

I routinely thank people for telling me they're on my left or hitting their bell. No big D.

This is the part of cycling that I hate. It seems that cyclists are VERY thin skinned, have an almost elitist attitude and are somewhat like nazis about trail use and such.

Look, you are bikers. The trails are NOT just for you to use. Some of us like to wear ear buds and listen to music when we ride. It's no different than motorcyclist riding on the streets with cars and people not paying attention. Ride defensively. Be prepared for folks walking dogs, trail walkers/hikers, cars on the road, etc.

Why is it that tough for people to ride at the far right of a lane. Who the fuck measures exactly 3 feet to pass? WHat if your dumb ass is riding a road with tons of rolling hills and the car crests with oncoming traffic? Been there and done that - guess what? I'm not whipping my car to make sure I got 3 feet. I'm also not going to slam the brakes to avoid anything also. Get on a road that is less traveled, but understand that a car isn't going 15 mph like you are thinking you're qualifying for the Tour de France...

Same with the trails, guys. It's why I freakin hate the COMBO site overall. Too many of these guys act like they played Dungeon and Dragons when they were in High School in the basement of their parents' house. Understand that there are others that enjoy the trails.

Silly. All this blown up over a guy that wants to get into the sport and sees a bunch of Sallies bitching back and forth. I'd buy something else as to avoid whinny riders...

I skimmed most of of these posts...too bad it had to go where it went with "bikers on the road".

I hate bikers when I'm driving. I hate cars when I'm biking. I just started road riding and my biking friends have told me I'm entitled to the road just as much as a car is. I never new this. Anyway, I'm more inclined to ride the white line...a car would hurt and if I get hit, I wont be getting any plate info and the car can just keep going. So I'll play it save.

Back to the original post...

A mtn bike is the most versatile. You can do trails and road. So if you're looking to get in to it, get a mountain bike.

I see you got a free bike...these are best! However, if you're gonna spend some money on a mountain bike...I'll agree with Brian here. Spend at least 1k on a new bike...or buy used (more bang for your buck). I have a 26 inch full suspension mtn bike. Full suspension is decent at Alum. It's not needed at mohican. After riding a lot for the last 2 years, I'd suggest a 29'er hard tail.

I'll agree with Brian again, components are key. Front shock and shifters are most important. Brakes....eh...you can get away with cheaper brakes imo. Hydralic discs are super nice. most 1k bikes will have these. rim brakes will work but they're so damn noisy in most cases.

Bike fit is key! go to a bike store and try a few...the saleman will put you in the right sized frame. The other parts (handlebars, seat) are adjustable for comfort/style. Once you figure out your size, you can shop used much more efficiently.

I just got in to road biking...first ride was with Shitty! It's different...it can be boring. I like mtn biking better...more power vs stamina, more skill required, and you get to hit sweet jumps. Plus, i like being in the woods...not on the road with the cars. Oh, and when you're on the road...and it's straight and flat...I always wish for my motorcycle!

Now where to ride...I've been on all 3 columbus trails. P2 is the best. P1 is typically a mess...exception with our drought. Chestnut is still so new. Been to Dillon in zanesville too. Mohican is by far the best and most challenging. it will put your fitness to the ultimate test. you start out with a 2 mile climb! p2 has 100 yd climes at most! So, if you're looking to get in shape...try mohican...then try multiple laps at mohican.

Hope my 2 cents helped.

oh, as for clothing...go to performance in the cbus area...or try nashbar.com.

• Upvote 1

Proved your point.....you only care about your wishes and desires, so fuck the rest of us.

and thats the way it should be because nobody gives a fuck about you or me so why should I give a fuck about anyone else?

:confused:How fucking wide are the roads you ride on? Even if I rode directly on top of the white line, there is no way a car could pass me giving the required three feet of clearance and not be across the centerline. This is the reason I ride a couple of feet out in the lane. I want any car that's going to overtake me to know well in advance that they are going to have to make sure there is nothing coming the other way when they pass me because they aren't going to squeeze by just sharing my lane. I guess if I was on roads that have twelve foot wide lanes I would change my riding style, but as it is, last thing I want to do is encourage someone to think they can pass me while there is oncoming traffic. :eek:

How fucking narrow are the roads you ride on anyhow?

The standard lane is 12 feet. My bike requires 2 feet. This leaves 10 feet for clearance & car. I don't mandate "the required" 3 foot clearance but if the car driver does & is driving an average size car (ie; Ford fusion is less than 7 feet mirror tip to mirror tip) they can have their 3 feet & not cross the centerline. Sharing the road is a 2 way street. I only dick with people when they are being a dick.

Guys-

Enough with share the road bullshit. Bikes do not have the same right on a road that has a speed limit of 55mph. You don't have the right to cruise around in the middle of the lane on a road like that.

Look at it this way - you drive 55mph and a bike is going 20 mph. The closing speed, the fact that you are a VERY narrow image on the horizon or in front and the fact that there could be oncoming traffic. You wanna be a big dick on campus and ride in the middle because you "have the right"? You are very silly and very selfish. Roads that are 35 mph, maybe even 45 mph are fine I suspect, but still and again - you cannot ride in the middle and expect that you are being safe.

Not to mention the guy traveling 60 mph and talking on the phone. That is the environement we live in and it is here to stay. You wanna risk wrestling with a huge steel cased machine with your weight weiny road bike? Good luck with that...

Just ride the white line, don't look over your shoulder every three seconds (You tend to drift where you look) and ride normal. You'll be fine.

Now, can we get over this BS about right and wrong and who has equal share and everything? Pretty soon, you'll be all gooned up over people that ride a trail wet... Just like the tree huggin trail guys bitch about.

What's the saying you all have heard? "Just ride!"

It's all good. I rarely ever mean offense. I just like stirring the pot once in a while. I won't concede my point on vehicle registration' date=' though. I pay enough as it is. I think we all do. Having a vehicle on the road that isn't taxed should be something we all appreciate vs something that gives us another reason to hate each other.

Peace, Love and Broken Spokes. :lol:[/quote']

So you still up for a few brews I hope?;)

I do both and their are upsides and downsides of both.

I prefer mtn. biking and it can be just a good a work out as road riding. It all depends on the amount of effort you put into it.

Buy a decent bike even if you can't decide which way to go. Plenty of nice used bikes out there. My reco would be a decent hardtail (rigid) mountain bike. You can ride the road, around town or on the trails quite efficiently with a simple tire change. A cyclocross bike can double as a road and trail bike as well. Trail riding in the midwest isn't all that hard core compared to mountainous areas. Or, put slicks on a rigid mtn bike.

Helmet, cycling pants (padded underwear), pump, patch kit, Camel Back and some tubes should cover you.

I took riding years ago was a way to get cardio in with a bad knee. If you do decide to go road, just be prepared to go riding at 5am or drive to the paved trails.

www.mtbr.com is a good resource for trails and bikes. Let us know if you need bike recommendations.