Dirt Bike Title Question MI - OH

ScubaCinci

Not sure where else to put this.

Buying a dirt bike from a guy in Toledo Saturday. He has the title but I guess when he bought it, he never had it put in his name (still has the original owners name on it) basically to avoid the tax. Not sure what the process is for MI titles but he says it doesn't appear that it needs to be notarized to transfer it to me. His mechanic is a notary so we can get it done if need be.

I'm guessing the state of OH doesn't car who the previous owner is as long as it's signed and notarized (if needed).

Talked to the guy, seems like it's all on the up and up (he brought this up right away). I'm just not sure if I'm going to run into some trouble later trying to title it. We're only talking a few grand here it terms of $.

I haven't done a lot of used vehicle buy/sells so I'm not well versed on the process, especially with an out of state title. Any insight anyone can provide?

If the title is signed, you can get it transferred to your name; only their name/signature is needed. This works for Indiana and Michigan, no notary needed.

You will need to get an out of state inspection (done by the BMV/Registrar) on the bike. All they do for this is write the VIN and model of the bike onto their little inspection, then give it to you. You take the inspection to the title bureau, and they will take that and the MI title, and issue a new one OH title in your name.

Source: I've transferred one bike from MI and two from IN in the last few months!

Edited by Rctaylor
for clarification

You will need to get an out of state inspection (done by the BMV/Registrar) on the bike. All they do for this is write the VIN and model of the bike onto their little inspection, then give it to you. You take the inspection to the title bureau, and they will take that and the MI title, and issue a new one OH title in your name.

Thank you. I knew about the inspection for street legal vehicles but is the inspection also required for an off-road only vehicle? Would suck to have to haul it over there just for that :rolleyes:

Thank you. I knew about the inspection for street legal vehicles but is the inspection also required for an off-road only vehicle? Would suck to have to haul it over there just for that :rolleyes:

I'm not 100% sure, but I want to say yes. They want to affirm the bike and title match.

• Upvote 1

yeah, its not a safety inspection. they don't care about that. they just want to make sure that it is not stolen.

what are you gonna do with this bike? do you want to ride it on state land? if so then you will def need the inspection and title.

if you just want to ride around the yard on private property. you dont really need the title or inspection...

• Upvote 1