Stator threshold question

namtugeoj

Looking into getting some LEDs for the shadow. Talking with my pop's he made the statement that he thinks my stator may not be able handle it. Is there a sure fire way to know or test if my stator will handle the extra load with out actually putting on the extra load? Or is it something where you have to try it and see what happens?

Edited by namtugeoj
Changed Neon to LED

the estimates I've seen show neon lighs draw 3-4 watts per foot, I don't know how many lights you're planning on using, but i can't imagine you putting enough on there to seriously affect your charging system...

if you want to stay on the super safe side, ponyjr and conn-e-rot are right, leds draw less than 10% of that on average...

I was thinking LEDs yet typed neon, made the correction in OP. Either way thanks for the info and the link to the powerlet site. I will check it out.

Conn-e-rot do you leave yours on going on the highway? Do you think it aids in being more visible while on the road? With the sun rise getting later and later i'm on the road while it is still dark longer.

Before doing more research on brands what do you think is the best for the price to go with regardless of color? Not looking to hook my whole bike up with them, just looking to show off the awesomeness of her.

Edited by namtugeoj

Not the best but you can see them some in the one video they are a set Bad324 was selling from http://www.customdynamics.com/ the one thing I highly suggest is getting better 3m tape I got mine at home depot it was the extreme tape or look for 3m VHB and I used 3m adhesion promoter comes in kit and I bought some more at auto body supply store. I guess they would probably make you more visible I run them pretty much anytime it's dark.

Edited by conn-e-rot
damn video wasn't showing

Not the best but you can see them some in the one video they are a set Bad324 was selling from http://www.customdynamics.com/ the one thing I highly suggest is getting better 3m tape I got mine at home depot it was the extreme tape or look for 3m VHB and I used 3m adhesion promoter comes in kit and I bought some more at auto body supply store. I guess they would probably make you more visible I run them pretty much anytime it's dark.

Cool, Thanks for the heads on the 3M tape. Ill check it out and im guessing installation is a easy process? Or is there something I should know to make things easier, Besides getting better tape.

If you buy from custom dynamics it's easy it comes with little wiring blocks all positive wires go into one block all negative into another then connect block to switch & battery or you can get remote which is still piece of cake to hook up. You can also order the adhesion promoter from them like $1.89 a pack but get several because once opened it evaporates fast.

series_222_146x115.jpg

If you buy from custom dynamics it's easy it comes with little wiring blocks all positive wires go into one block all negative into another then connect block to switch & battery or you can get remote which is still piece of cake to hook up. You can also order the adhesion promoter from them like $1.89 a pack but get several because once opened it evaporates fast.

Good deal. Looking at their site them seem to be reasonably priced. Now to decide on what color. And which "package" or individual item.

here is the video link it didn't show up before http://www.youtube.com/user/ConneautVision

Cool vid, Those seem bright, Compared to the garage light in the background. I am thinking the strips are going to be what I get. I was looking at the micro magic LEDs. Wanting to just do the engine so probably 2 micro 9 led strips or more. I am having a hard time judging what should be a good amount to get to provide enough light. Don't need it to blind people yet don't want it to be too dim that its not worth it. Do I need to get the Micro voltage stabilizer?

Here is a link to what I'm looking at.

http://www.customdynamics.com/micro_magic_leds.htm

Edited by namtugeoj