My wife got her motorcycle temps

jresch10

My wife got her motorcycle temps yesterday and I gave her first parking lot lesson today on the FZ6. No throttle just getting used to feeling the friction point and getting the bike rolling. She did ride around the parking lot a little at 5 mph until she got too slow in a turn and dropped the bike. Glad I haven't fixed any of the things I had planned to fix yet.

Have any of you taught your wives to ride? What experiences have you had?

Planning on getting her a Ninja 250.

Sign her up for an MSF class.

If you don't like her and/or like to argue, continue to try to teach her yourself. Unless she's different from every other female, you two will be bickering in no time.

Or she might just come to it naturally.

Nah, sign up for a class.

well, atleast her first wreck is out of the way :) as long as she is still willing to learn its all good.

tried teaching my wife to drive a stick.... ya wasn't happening(and i've tought atleast 10 other people how to drive a stick sucessfully in just a few minutes, 2 of em never even drove a car before)

If she doesn't pick it up quick I would agree with jblosser and have someone else teach her(she is gunna take the class eventually right? why not now lol) It will save you alot of headache.

My wife got her temps and took the msf before she ever owned a bike. Shortly after that she started on an 800 Intruder, which isnt a good first bike for a petite lady but I'd haul her to the mall and jump off so she could work the controls at slow speeds and practice shifting. The bike didnt have good balance or low enough cg until it was into 2nd gear or better. Even with a low seat height and laid back riding position, she didnt enjoy riding much and wasnt comfy with the weight of the bike. Plus the controls had zero adjustment to help her out.

We traded it on her '09 Ninja 250 after 1 season, and she has LOVED riding ever since. Light, nimble, low, not overpowering, fairly highway friendly, and great on gas.

An empty parking lot is a good training place to keep clear of traffic/obstacles, but the MSF is most valuable to begin with.

Thanks all for the advice she's definitely planning to take the MSF course, they're just booked solid this time of year. Figured I could start her out with a few of the basics.

Here's how it went with my wife.

Signed her up for the MSF course.

She started worrying about taking the course having never ridden a motorcycle.

About 2 months before the course I bought her a Suzuki boulevard S40 & she started to ride it around the development. (It was a little unsettling at very first, watching her use her feet for outriggers & take a few street corners wide but that quickly passed. She had always driven a manual transmission car so this part was not a problem.) She took & passed the MSF course. She ended up putting about 3,000 miles on the Suzuki until deciding she wanted a Ducati Monster 696 (her current bike). She never took to serious sport riding & has no aspirations to do track days but she does seem to enjoy riding quite a bit. Good luck with yours.

I'd let her pick out bike. What my husband thought I should get didn't sit right between my legs. She won't ride if she don't like. ;)
I would rep you for this but I can't. But on a more serious note, my ex wanted me to learn but honestly he made me nervous. It may be better for her to learn from someone else.

I'd let her pick out bike. What my husband thought I should get didn't sit right between my legs. She won't ride if she don't like. ;)

What happend to OR? I can't believe no one made a joke about this comment.... She left it wide open lol, I would even assume on purpose lol.

Yeah depending on the type of girl she is she'll want either something big and black or tiny and pink that vibrates.

• Upvote 1

She likes the Ninja 250. Didn't like the feel of the other bikes she has sat on. (Honda Rebel, Honda CBR 250, My FZ6)

Signed her up for the last course of the year since there were still a few openings left. I may have her walk in to a couple to see if she can get in earlier. She's afraid she'll be the only one there with no riding experience.

She's afraid she'll be the only one there with no riding experience.

Not entirely true, she will probably be surprised at how many show up with little to no experience. I highly doubt she will be alone in learning all about riding. The first night is all classwork anyway, so they'll teach/demonstrate the absolute basics first and day 2 & 3 are on the bikes.

I taught my wife to ride on the Ninja 250. She did ok with it just up and down our road, only dropping it a couple times in gravel where she turned around, but not well enough to let her out on the road. We both took the MSF class and she did pretty well. She dropped their bike once (pretty hard, her foot got stuck in the shifter she said, may have been a panic type thing trying to get her foot down real fast) but passed the class. Since then, she has put maybe 20 miles on the bike, all that same year, which was 3 years ago. One of these days we're going to get me another bike, and her some gear and she can ride some more.

You wanna teach your wife to ride? Why? Don't you enjoy riding? Do you like to ride slow while dragging a crabby anchor who will be dropping her bike all over the place?

Doesn't sound like fun to me. :dunno:

There is a back seat on your bike for a reason. :D

BTW, ladies, I keed. I thought one of you would give me 10 kinds of hell?

Edited by max power