thoughts on first real ride on new to me bike

RideSlow

I just picked up a '97 Kawasaki 1500 classic and have been plunking around my neighborhood getting used to the clutch for about 25 miles and 2 days, didn't realize it had been so long.... so this morning after putzing around my neighborhood once to make sure the bike and I were warmed up (mostly me).. decided to run out sr139 a ways and ended up getting about 70 miles in. have to work this afternoon, so just wanted to get some miles in while I could, left the house at about 8:30am got back around 10:30am stopped twice to have some water and fiddle with mirrors so I could get a sight picture I liked on the road.

I am glad I took the time to adjust my bars last night, it felt alot more comfy/natural today, not so much feeling of holding on. I had put it off because I didn't have a metric Allen wrench big enough to adjust it. finally bought a set of Lisle Allen head sockets and was off to the races.

things I think need to do, turn up preload on the rear shocks (caught a frost/root heave at about 35 solidly thumped the back end), lubricate/graphite the speedo cable (heard it ever so slightly sometimes, maybe its normal, haven't dealt with it before). and look into a driver back rest down the road.

I'm pretty sure theres more, but so far still grinning so its a good day.

Sounds like a good morning, is 139 open all the way to 32 now? It was closed for construction last time I tried to head that way.

when I got to minford I turned on north 335 and chased that a ways, so no idea about 32.

if you mean the intersection with us 52 in portsmouth, its still fubar, but you can turn left go a block and come out on another light to 52.

I did see signs in minford about the closing in portsmouth, that sign is really for trucks imo, you can get around it a few ways, not nearly as pleasant but they have a detour marked to turn left, then go over the drainway/trench bridge (bridge is not rated for truck weight I do not believe) and at the stop sign go right, follow out to 52. I do this all the time to get to walmart in my pickup lol.