Riding The Track...With Handlebars?

wantahertzdonut

I'm thinking about bringing my Tuono to Beaverun on 8/4 with Motoseries. It's not very fun on the streets so I want to see how it feels in a more suitable environment.

One hesitation I have however is I haven't ridden a bike on the track with big wide handlebars. I see guys on motards and other bikes with handlebars and it looks like both their body position and setup for turns is completely different from riders with clip-ons.

Does anyone have any pointers on riding like this?

I think as long as you are comfortable with the riding position, you will be able to make your adjustments. I had a z1000 and I liked the wide bars, but the one thing that was a deterent was the low foot pegs. Draggin those all over the place. Just something to think about...

I think as long as you are comfortable with the riding position, you will be able to make your adjustments. I had a z1000 and I liked the wide bars, but the one thing that was a deterent was the low foot pegs. Draggin those all over the place. Just something to think about...

Same for me on my Speed Triple, dragging parts, bad body position causes most of this for me.

I struggle getting my upper body in the correct position with handlebars on the SP3 at the track, Pretty sure that was/is my own fault though...

i've been to the Beav a few times on my T and have had no issues with scraping parts (knock on wood!) but i'm no max biaggi. can't make Aug 4, but will be there the weekend of Sep 22-23. just do it!

I think I'll go for it in that case. I just need to make sure not to do something stupid like go full f'n throttle everywhere. I haven't been able to open the bike up anywhere yet and figured the track is as good as anywhere to do it.

I'll ask around if there's any instructors running with handlebars and get some pointers. It's been a while since I've had any instruction and figure this is as good an excuse as there is.

Handlebars at the track? Who, me?

Dukey.jpg

Great for leverage and great to make it through the entire event. Although, with the Duke, it suffered from ground clearance issues. Ground a good chunk out of the right side case cover going into turn 2 at Mid-O. Lifted the wheel and was somewhat sketchy, but was great everywhere else.

Marty- I'll try to hunt you down early on since I'll be after some pics.

YSR- I guess you'll have that! :D

Brian- Outstanding pic, tire smoke and all! I won't even attempt to do something like that, I don't want to lay this bike down!

I usually ride a yellow SV. I love it on the track but just figured I'd try the Tuono once.

I'm bringing my friend's bike so I'll be towing with a maroonish Suburban and a very faded green ez-up. My Tuono is red/white/black. I'll be showing up late tonight, feel free to drop by!