Print your own gun...

ReconRat

Got a computer? Now you can design and print your own gun parts with a solids printer.

It's only the plastic parts created, but printing metals isn't far away in the future.

NEWS FROM THE FUTURE - Print Your Own Guns

The world’s first 3D-printed gun

"Can I print out my own Jessica Biel?"

"Printable pizza. Soon we will be too fat to care."

3d-printed-gun.jpg?w=600&h=348

http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/3d-printed-gun.jpg?w=600&h=348

edit: note that the creation of a lower would require a manufacturers license.

Edited by ReconRat

Maybe I'm not up to current tech, but we have one of these at work that's a few years old and the material is uber-brittle. Not suitable for anything other than engineering mockups.

So while that's a nice 'proof of concept', I don't trust the plastic that comes out of those machines. There's no way I'd consider anything 3D printed a "reliable" firearm until they improve the material science to at least something equivalent to GF Nylon 6/6 or better (and that's bare minimum).

edit: note that the creation of a lower would require a manufacturers license.

Only if you intend on selling it. Otherwise, making your own lower is perfectly legal.

There's an entire industry supporting that already (80% completed lowers that you finish with some simple machining).

Now, making a lower with select-fire options or parts is a big fucking no-no. Even having the plans and materials constitutes "constructive intent" so be very careful with plans or parts.

NASA has a research in progress to build printers for metals. The objective being to make parts from a computer file. To be used on space stations, spaceships in transit, and on other planets. Costs too much to ship stuff, just transmit a file.

It's basically micro welding to build up the shape needed. The holdup is getting the texture really fine, really small. A little more time.

Only if you intend on selling it. Otherwise, making your own lower is perfectly legal...

Going by memory here, but I was under the impression that individuals without a manufacturer's license were limited to a max of two creations, and needed to mark with a name and serial number. Also need to fill out an ATF form to be legal on the creation.

There's a lot of people that like to build falling block rifles. It's really easy.

And no, most of them don't know about any forms to fill out...

edit: Isn't the internet wonderful... I stand corrected... by myself...

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-7.pdf

7.1.3.1 Registration exemption for fabricating articles for “research and development.”

State Department regulations in 22 CFR 122.1(b)(4) exempt from the registration requirement

persons who fabricate articles for experimental or scientific purpose, including research and

development. The regulations do not define “experimental or scientific purpose” or “research

and development.” Consequently, manufacturers who believe they may be entitled to the

exemption should contact DDTC to determine if they are entitled to the exemption.

...To determine who is a “manufacturer” of firearms, we must look

to see whether the person manufactures firearms as discussed in Section 7.2.2.

7.2.2 “Manufacturing”. “Manufacturing” is not defined by the law, regulations, or any formal ATF

ruling. Nevertheless, the term has been interpreted by ATF to cover activities other than producing a

firearm from scratch...

edit: btw, all this is totally subject to interpretation at the moment. And results will vary.

Edited by ReconRat

I don't know how this could be legal. Plastic guns were created in the image of real guns which were designed with the sole intention of murder and crime. Plastic or not you guys just like guns cuz your to pussy to fist fight.

On topic I've printed car parts this way and it's awesome for prototyping.

Metal printing has been around for almost as long as plastic printing, currently you have to add a sintering process to the steps. I would imagine that having a furnace in space isn't practical at this time so the process will need to change. The weight sent to space would be the same it's the volume that offers the benefit.

Maybe I'm not up to current tech, but we have one of these at work that's a few years old and the material is uber-brittle. Not suitable for anything other than engineering mockups.

So while that's a nice 'proof of concept', I don't trust the plastic that comes out of those machines. There's no way I'd consider anything 3D printed a "reliable" firearm until they improve the material science to at least something equivalent to GF Nylon 6/6 or better (and that's bare minimum).

Basically that is rapid prototyping, using lacquer/resin/powder. A rapid manufacturing setup (Molten polymer deposition) can wire feed ABS or polycarbonate. The polycarbonate will have decent material properties compared to metals.

edit: We've got one at school in Mechanical, that isn't so brittle. Not sure of materials used, but appears to be an ABS. Parts are strong enough to assemble into a prototype that doesn't readily break.

Edited by ReconRat

Snurfing internet, there's a hobby industry of open source code, that builds their own printers. I had no idea people were doing this.

http://replicat.org/

RepRap printer - It prints parts of itself and makes more copies...

http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

"You will be assimilated"

652px-ORDbot_quantum.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/ORDbot_quantum.jpg/652px-ORDbot_quantum.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

Metal printing has been around for almost as long as plastic printing, currently you have to add a sintering process to the steps. I would imagine that having a furnace in space isn't practical at this time so the process will need to change. The weight sent to space would be the same it's the volume that offers the benefit.

if the process is reversible and the broken down materials can be reused, you save on mass. Single purpose items could be made when required, broken down, and the materials used to make the next requirement.

...furnace in space isn't practical at this time so the process will need to change. The weight sent to space would be the same it's the volume that offers the benefit.

Made me look it up. A solar furnace in near Earth orbit, using just mirrors, can reach a temperature of 5760 Kelvin. (9908.6 ºF)

I don't know how this could be legal. Plastic guns were created in the image of real guns which were designed with the sole intention of murder and crime. Plastic or not you guys just like guns cuz your to pussy to fist fight.

Way to make friends, buddy. :rolleyes:

Ever considered that some of us own guns and are trained fighters too? :nono:

How long before there are companies that will "print" physical objects for you on demand (maybe there are already)? You could print up bike parts etc...that would be a nice service!

I was watching a segment on TV the other day showing Jay Leno's Garage and how he uses a printer to do that very thing...duplicate old resto parts and such.

It's for sure a business model in the making.

How long before 3d printers are as ubiquitous as inkjet or laser printers? Regular printers have revolutionized things like coupons, tickets, boarding passes, mailing labels, tax forms etc... All just data.

I can see 10-15 years from now simple one-material car parts like brackets, mounts, coolant recovery tanks etc will be "printed" at the car dealership on demand. No need for shipping parts or stocking stuff.

30 years from now, people will all have 3d printers at their homes that can build complex multi-component parts from metal and plastic. You want the latest action figure for your kid's christmas present? Don't buy it and have it shipped - pay the a $5 licensing fee for a on-time download/use of the "printing" file and print that sucker right at home. Need a new radiator for your car? Print it.

Complex electronics are tougher to envisage, but think back 30 years and what we had then to what we had now and look at the difference. Back in 1980 you were luck if you had ABS brakes in your car, and now you can have a car that will start itself, park itself, phone home with maintenance data and warn you when parts need to be replaced, will tell the police where they are if they are stolen and allow the police to shut off the engine to prevent high-speed chases, they will cruise along on the freeway and adapt to the speed of traffic automatically, they will warn you if you start to drift out of your lane, they will prevent themselves from going out of control (ESP), and will prevent common accidents (volvo)...

Where will we be 30 years from now?

Edited by Scruit

Way to make friends, buddy. :rolleyes:

Ever considered that some of us own guns and are trained fighters too? :nono:

Probably one of the most easily identified uses of sarcasm ever, buddy.

If that was actually my view I wouldn't come into firearms but I guess it's hard to differentiate between a sarcastic remark and some peoples crazy views.

Let these guys print their guns and you can print giant cocks and F yourself with them

• Upvote 1

Probably one of the most easily identified uses of sarcasm ever, buddy.

If that was actually my view I wouldn't come into firearms but I guess it's hard to differentiate between a sarcastic remark and some peoples crazy views.

that's ok, I got it...

51871.jpg