Back road corner carver project-Ninja 250R or 'zuki GS500F?

modular

I have in mind building a sweet corner carver over the winter for next season. corner to corner speed is not important except for good all-around street power. I am deciding between a 2008-up Ninja 250R or a Suzuki GS500F. Both can be had for under $4K with super low miles. For those experienced with these two models which one will take to doing what I want it to do better?

I do realize this as I ride with someone that has a 650. It is way more flick-able than the 1K was. I just want to keep this next bike super simple.....air cooled, carbs, etc. but something with a good chassis.

I've never considered carbs simpler than fi

I like tweaking carbs. Cheaper and easier for me.

I would probably go with the Kawi due to the huge aftermarket for them, unless you are a bigger guy...then I would probably do the GS500F.

I am 5'8" and 185lbs. or so in gear.

I would think GS500's would have good real world street speed. Not looking to set the streets on fire any more. I like carving corners more than going fast in the straights.

I would think GS500's would have good real world street speed. Not looking to set the streets on fire any more. I like carving corners more than going fast in the straights.

That's why I bought my 650R, it's slower than my old Z750S but it is a BLAST to ride...and comfy.

Wow, the Ninja's are that slow? Makes me lean towards the GS500 even more.

On the Ninja 250 you have to plan out your passes if you're going around cars. It's not as slow as the majority of the cars on the roads, but yeah, it is pretty slow.

• Upvote 1

the GS500 isn't THAT bad...

i like the look of the naked model, and as noted, it FEELS like a great bike, just without very much power.

I never rode one back-to-back with a 250, but my brother and I did an informal 3-way comparison between the EX500, GS500, and XJ600. The Yamaha is heavy, but smoother (an inline 4 will do that though). The GS feels smallest and lightest, and I liked the brake feel the best. The EX has the best mid-range power, but the XJ actually feels quicker at the top of the power band. But the GS is definitely the slowest.

But for a simple, fun, reliable bike, the GS is probably the winner. As was mentioned, air cooling and carbs make it just about the lowest-maintenance ride possible.

I would strongly consider one, but I want the option of having decent 2-up power, and i just want an SV more...

• Upvote 1