Sag session

Hoblick

Thinking about holding a suspension setting session.

One day event, base line suspension setup.

Ill adjust your sag to either a race or street set up.

I can do baseline comp/damp settings as well.

Im trying to come up with a fair price.

Who would be interested?

I'm interested. For street on the zx6, and track on the zx10. Need to get a bent rim and fork seals fixed on the zx10 first though. What would you charge for fork seals on a zx10? Know anyone who can straighten a front rim?

Nobama 2012

Now, I think a suspension session is cool, but would like to see it be an event where someone like Reuben or Carr was around to offer insight on why the suspension does what it does and what to do to accommodate changes or things the bike does that require said changes... Discuss tire wear, what to look for, etc...

I will say this.. On some bikes, you might be overweight for the springs, so ill get you dialed in as close as possible and offer some suggestions from there.

I was just about to bring up this point.

Ryan, I don't know if you're a dealer for RaceTech, or whomever, but SonicSprings are very affordable for those who would want/need to respring forks. Sonics are generally $10-$20 cheaper than Racetechs, and their spring-rate calculator is really helpful.

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/calculate_spring_rate.php

I have had this in all 3 of my bikes and was really really happy with their customer service. I basically emailed them for general mechanical advice, and they walked me through the preload stuff on my EX (which requires cutting spacers, because there is no preload adjustment on the forks).

Anyway, it's something people could consider, and swapping fork oil and upgrading springs is easy with the right equipment, and it makes a HUGE difference in braking. much less nose-dive if your bike was previously under-sprung.

So noob question here, what is setting the sag doing for a rider on the street? Side note, I'd be interested if nothing else but the learning experience.

On my Busa it helped the nose dive under breaking and the mushy vague feeling in corners on the street. Between that and getting rebound/compression dialed in it will feel like a different bike and inspire confidence. I would suggested it for street and track alike. When I tracked it I read the tire and it had too much rebound, but for the street I didn't notice.

I'm too fat and will be respringing this winter or I'd go. :(

I was just about to bring up this point.

Ryan, I don't know if you're a dealer for RaceTech, or whomever, but SonicSprings are very affordable for those who would want/need to respring forks. Sonics are generally $10-$20 cheaper than Racetechs, and their spring-rate calculator is really helpful.

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/calculate_spring_rate.php

I have had this in all 3 of my bikes and was really really happy with their customer service. I basically emailed them for general mechanical advice, and they walked me through the preload stuff on my EX (which requires cutting spacers, because there is no preload adjustment on the forks).

Anyway, it's something people could consider, and swapping fork oil and upgrading springs is easy with the right equipment, and it makes a HUGE difference in braking. much less nose-dive if your bike was previously under-sprung.

Do they do rear springs too? Those are about $50 under what I've priced out. All I have is my phone now and I can't browse worth a damn.

Do they do rear springs too? Those are about $50 under what I've priced out. All I have is my phone now and I can't browse worth a damn.

I don't believe they do shock springs, but as you noted, the fork springs are considerably less expensive than alternatives, and I really don't see how one spring is any better or worse than another... The weight is what matters.

Setting sag is stupid simple once you know how to do it... Having 3 people is really essential though.

I had no clue how to do it until a friend of mine enlisted my help at the track.

Basically your baseline is just a tad softer for street use versus track. But you'll want to err on the side of "a little too stiff" if you're not geared up when you sit on the bike, or if you travel with luggage often.

Anyway, as someone else said, it really does help the bike feel more planted. It eliminates most of the "pogo" effect and wallowing you feel through the turns.

I mean, crap suspension is still crap suspension if your bike is old and the shock is tired, but having the preload set properly for your weight makes the best of a potentially bad situation.

On newer bikes, it makes an even bigger difference though.