Need suggestions on how to seal a corrugated pipe

Gump

I have 4" solid plastic corrugated pipe draining a pond. It has a leak around 6 to 8 inches below the top of the pipe. There are actually two drains next to each other. The pipes come up from middle depth of the dam, runs under the dam to the other side. The water level has dropped to the level of the crack in the pipe. The pond is small, maybe 60 by 60, so it makes a big difference.

I'm not sure how to go about it. Any wonder goo's out there that work under water and can resist the pressure until it sets up.

This is the type of pipe. http://www.lowes.com/pd_24137-124-04510100H_0__?productId=3306086&Ntt=black+corrugated+pipe&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

With plastic corrugated pipe like they use in field drainage tilling it is usually a replacement issue as there is no permanent fix (at least none the farmers I know use). As a temp patch I would try using a trash bag to plug the leak till the pond can be drained and the pipe replaced.

With plastic corrugated pipe like they use in field drainage tilling it is usually a replacement issue as there is no permanent fix (at least none the farmers I know use). As a temp patch I would try using a trash bag to plug the leak till the pond can be drained and the pipe replaced.

Agree but draining is not really an option the pipe goes underground under the dam. The stuff's so thin and the corrugated part makes it worse. The cutting it and putting on a connector idea might work but the connectors are a sloppy fit unless there was a really good waterproof sealant I could use.

4-7-2012_048.jpg

This is before it sprung a leak. The pipe under the fish. The pipes are about 3' off shore. The smaller pipes coming out of the water are steel and just there to hold the plastic pipe vertical. It sprung a leak where the rope is tied to both, plastic and steel pipe.

Edited by Gump

A fernco. Get a 6"X 4' peice of sdr 35 and 6"to 4" rubber fernco. slide the bigger 6" pipe over the 4" pipe you have and tighten fernco. theen fill the gap between 4" pipe and 6" pipe with a product called water plug. All of this should be at lowes. If not you will have to look for a sewer place like win nelson or dicount drainage or hues supply.

• Upvote 1

I had one idea. If you took some 12 inch pipe and feed it around the leaking pipe as far into the ground as possible you might be able to pump out the water and then pour concrete between the two. The concrete and 12 in pipe would be a permanent addition but it would add stability to the narrow pip and hopefully seal it. Depending on how deep the bend is you could even try a steel pipe around it down into the soil beneath.

• Upvote 1

Basics: that's a polyethylene pipe (or polypropylene), and not much will stick to it for adhesives.

But 3M did come out with this recently:

3M's Scotch-WeldTM Structural Plastic Adhesive DP-8005 & DP-8010

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4374

This stuff is not cheap...

edit: I see some suggestions that a hot glue gun with polyethylene sticks will work.

Also suggested that "Goop" brand adhesive will work.

Edited by ReconRat

I had one idea. If you took some 12 inch pipe and feed it around the leaking pipe as far into the ground as possible you might be able to pump out the water and then pour concrete between the two. The concrete and 12 in pipe would be a permanent addition but it would add stability to the narrow pip and hopefully seal it. Depending on how deep the bend is you could even try a steel pipe around it down into the soil beneath.

Do this, but fill the void with hole plug. You can pour it right into water as long as it doesn't leak out the bottom.

Not sure about this idea yet. I'm worried the. Weight of the pipe and mix might crush or crack the pipe at the bottom. I'm not sure if the pipe bends at dirt level or below. If well below dirt level it should work and actuall be more permanent as I think these pipes breakdown faster above ground.

Not sure about this idea yet. I'm worried the. Weight of the pipe and mix might crush or crack the pipe at the bottom. I'm not sure if the pipe bends at dirt level or below. If well below dirt level it should work and actuall be more permanent as I think these pipes breakdown faster above ground.

time to go diving.