Any sparkys here that want a side job?

MidgetTodd

6000 watt. You just hook yours to a 220 breaker? Flip the main off and the gen one on when you need to run it?

Yup.. Works like a charm, and if you happen to have a hot tub connection out side you can wire into that for the backfeed.

Mines a 6250/5500 if Im not mistaken

Ill prolly end up doing that if I don't get any takers. Figured I'd see if a professional was interested because lets face it..... who wants a drunk naked midget doing electrical work

You should video it and do it while standing in the hottub. You'll become the coolest guy on the internet.

Those transfer switches are expensive as hell. I did my genny circuit for about $130 including the cable from genny to house. Home depot sells a 4 prong twistlock box for feeding electricity to a home. You wire it on its own breaker so the plug isn't hot (the box contains male connection so you don't have to make a suicide plug). Then you just kill the main breaker, turn on Tue backfeed breaker and whatever else you want to run. It's incredibly simple, took me about an hour.

Okay. Just to let you know, the transfer switch prevents back feeding the grid.

Very important!Remember...that transformer on the pole is a step down transformer,if you forget to open the main and backfeed that transformer,you will be stepping up to close to 6700 volts.You could possibly seriously hurt a lineman working on the line.Unlikely,but possible.

Very important!Remember...that transformer on the pole is a step down transformer,if you forget to open the main and backfeed that transformer,you will be stepping up to close to 6700 volts.You could possibly seriously hurt a lineman working on the line.Unlikely,but possible.

Well you seem to be forgetting that your not stepping up the current as well. Hell a spark plug is 25-30K V but that wont kill you because there is no current. And Tesla coils can be in the 100's if not millions of V and wont kill you.

I admit I do not know much about electricity, but a quick look at this online raised the same concern mentioned above.

1) you're inadvertently sending electricity back into the lines and can potentially injure someone working to restore power. That's SERIOUS liability risk. That alone is enough of a reason to have a licensed electrician do the work...

2) Doesn't this require some kind of automatic (or manual) switch to completely cut your home off from the power lines to prevent #1 above, and also ensure that you don't double the input into your home when/if the power is turned back on while your generator is still running?

If there's a cheap and easy way to do this safely, I'm all for it - I just asked a similar question a while back and got some heavy warnings about effing it up. I obviously didn't grasp all the electrician terminology, but the whole liability thing resonates...

how much juice would it take to power basics anyway? my generator is only 2400 peak (i think), but that should be plenty for a fridge and some basic lighting, or a ceiling fan over night.

could I just manually turn non-essential breakers off? I don't need my washer and dryer, TV, etc. - just kitchen and bedroom for essentials.

I admit I do not know much about electricity, but a quick look at this online raised the same concern mentioned above.

1) you're inadvertently sending electricity back into the lines and can potentially injure someone working to restore power. That's SERIOUS liability risk. That alone is enough of a reason to have a licensed electrician do the work...

2) Doesn't this require some kind of automatic (or manual) switch to completely cut your home off from the power lines to prevent #1 above, and also ensure that you don't double the input into your home when/if the power is turned back on while your generator is still running?

If there's a cheap and easy way to do this safely, I'm all for it - I just asked a similar question a while back and got some heavy warnings about effing it up. I obviously didn't grasp all the electrician terminology, but the whole liability thing resonates...

You only send power back to the lines if you forget to flip the main. How do you think this was done before automatic transfer switches.

I typically keep painters tape over the genie breaker with "Turn off Main" written on it in sharpie, that way I dont forget,

2400 peak isn't much, should run the fridge and some lights, maybe your furnace if its gas. Mine is 4k peak and it will run the fridge, microwave, furnace and sump pump.

They make automatic Nat gas gennies that automatically come on and disconnect main breaker when you lose power but are very expensive.

Even if you do manage to feed back into the grid the load will immediately flip the protection breaker on the genny.