Any sparkys here that want a side job?

MidgetTodd

All this talk about generators Do they make one that run off of natural gas and some thing to run water pump, refrigerator, hot water tank, and some lights. What does some thing like that cost.

Yes, they are $7K-$10K to buy and have installed and for those you definitely have to have an auto transfer switch.

My 6250/5500 will run everything in my house except the furnace as my house is 100% electric. The trick is watching the power on surge's. For example, I'll see everything dim if the sump and well pump kick on at the same time and if I had turned on the oven or stove then as well, im sure I would overload it. But I do have a fireplace in case I need heat.

Edited by flounder

2400 peak isn't much, should run the fridge and some lights, maybe your furnace if its gas.

I was wrong. 2400 continuous, 3200 peak, but I know that's not large. I'm not looking to power my whole house; only essentials continuously, and then some ancilary lighting and a fan or two.

So I wouldn't be running a fridge AND a microwave simultaneously.

The whole manual "off" switch disconnecting the house from the grid seems brilliant in its simplicity... I'll have to look into that. We need to upgrade (replace) our breaker box(es) anyway. I have an old box that handles our exterior circuits that is probably not up to modern standards.

Edited by redkow97

Well you seem to be forgetting that your not stepping up the current as well. Hell a spark plug is 25-30K V but that wont kill you because there is no current. And Tesla coils can be in the 100's if not millions of V and wont kill you.

Nope...didn't forget about the amperage.One of the main causes of injury due to getting shocked is falls.Grab that spark plug or Tesla coil on a ladder or even a bucket truck and tell me about current.

Like I said...it's unlikely,but possible to hurt someone.I'm sure they ground out the de-energized lines before they work on them.We always do in industrial plants.There is always a chance of an idiot doing something stupid...more so when you're dealing with the general public.

Edited by drc32-0

I've been researching Diesel generators, since we have a tank of fuel that would run it sitting right next to the house. Man those things are expensive!

Have you looked into military surplus generators? Govliquidators or other similar websites have them. They are super cheap, and I have seen 40k+ generators on there. Might be worth looking into. And we all know how rugged and durable military equipment is! ;)

Probably not fuel efficient, though, nor quiet...