Tell me I'm making the right choice (GTO or GXP)

idodishez

And you have a valid point there, however I was just illustrating the fact that there are other, more reliable cars out there that just don't have the Pontiac/GM badge on them.

There sure are. Though the ls1 in stock form is pretty reliable as well.

I am not debating on if they are a good car or not. Just that it looks like the op wants to spend under 10k, and he isnt going to find an evo or sti for that amount of money. Hard to beat the amount of car you get for the money of an 04 GTO. Runs mid 13s, 20mpg, and one of the most comfortable cars GM has ever made.

But personally neither the sti or evo are for me.

Edited by Jester_

I am not debating on if they are a good car or not. Just that it looks like the op wants to spend under 10k, and he isnt going to find an evo or sti for that amount of money. Hard to beat the amount of car you get for the money of an 04 GTO. Runs mid 13s, 20mpg, and one of the most comfortable cars GM has ever made.

But personally neither the sti or evo are for me.

Doesn't have to be an Sti, matter of fact the WRX is preferable for most.

The comparison posted earlier was evo/wrx, figured the sti would be more comprable to the evo.

Even a 230hp 02 wrx with 100k on it is 9k, awd just holds its value alot better. At that point the only thing you are gaining on the GTO would be AWD and trunk space. And hey to some that might be worth the trade offs. To each his own.

I've seen the Holden Commodore Ute in person, and it's pretty badass.

I find it mildly hilarious that the OP is passing judgement on the WRX and EVO without even knowing what the hell they are apart from a Subaru/Mitsu. You understand that there are other car companies that aren't General Motors, right? And that most of them even import to the United States, having infinitely better quality/longevity than a mid/late 2000's GM?

Passing judgement? By making a joke about outback? Lighten up. My experience w Subaru consists only of my time working on them as a mechanic. Back then they were not thought of sporty and the only ones I saw were falling apart. Just like Hyundai. They may make nice looking cars now (albeit most of then clones if some other nice import) and they may even be reliable now. I don't know. But in my mind Hyundai will always be what they were in the late 80's. A step up from a Yugo. I will always have that initial impression of them, gained from years of working on them. Similar for Subaru. I'm sure they're different now. But I'm a stubborn old guy who has his biased reasons. But again, passing judgement? All I said was I knew nothing about those models and joked about the outback. Nothing personal:)

Nobama 2012

The GTO if you want to call it that is just a cavalier all grown up. For that money you can get a better car don't do either.

The G5 is close to the old cavalier/sunbird J bodies maybe. May even BE a j body, not sure. But the GTO? Come on.

Nobama 2012

Passing judgement? By making a joke about outback? Lighten up. My experience w Subaru consists only of my time working on them as a mechanic. Back then they were not thought of sporty and the only ones I saw were falling apart. Just like Hyundai. They may make nice looking cars now (albeit most of then clones if some other nice import) and they may even be reliable now. I don't know. But in my mind Hyundai will always be what they were in the late 80's. A step up from a Yugo. I will always have that initial impression of them, gained from years of working on them. Similar for Subaru. I'm sure they're different now. But I'm a stubborn old guy who has his biased reasons. But again, passing judgement? All I said was I knew nothing about those models and joked about the outback. Nothing personal:)

I'm not taking it personally. What did you expect to happen here by making this thread? You asked for the advice of the people on here. Instead of getting a second set of eyes on your decision, you got four thousand. Did you automatically expect everyone to laud your choice in vehicle purchases? Since you are a "stubborn old guy" who's using outdated information to pass judgement on cars, allow me to dispense some advice that you were asking for earlier on. Hyundai's are MUCH better than they used to in terms of both quality and reliability, and Subaru's are damn near bulletproof provided that you take care of them. However, for the qualifications you have listed (sporty, cheap, reliable), there's a pre-tuned Tiburon, a 2008 Tiburon that still has 5 more years of warranty left on it,, or this 2002 Subaru Impreza.

Or you can wrench away on a Pontiac that's known for rampant reliability issues, especially for that time period and ESPECIALLY for the amount of miles it's got on it. Like I said, it's your money, and it's your headache. However, when you ask strangers on the internets for advice, expect to get it and have your pre-concieved notions challenged.

Fast

Cheap

Reliable.

Pick two.

Seriously, you're getting way out of your league here. Nothing you buy is going to be as fast as a bike, and if your "budget" is only $8000 or so, you're going to be much better off buying a Honda Civic or Accord/Toyota Camry and running it into the ground for the next six years, saving up to buy something worth your while down the road.

Both of those cars are going to cost you thousands of dollars in the long run and you goddamned well know it lol.

I haven't financed a car in years, so yeah my budget is not as great as it might be for others. I could do up to 15 or so in cash, but in addition to being old I'm also tight:). Ive thought about financing the balance on a G8, but I just can't get myself to spend 20-26 k on a 4 year old car:). And yes, I know I could get much cheaper and maybe even more reliable if I went w a Honda or similar but I tend to buy more w my penis. Hondas are just too boring. Could also do a later model G6 for cheaper, but I want more power and ideally only 2 doors. And sorry, will never do a Hyundai. Willing to bet most mechanics my age wouldn't either, but I could be wrong. (maybe Jporter will chime in).

Could do this and pretty much guarantee a money pit:). May even go look at it tomorrow.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?ownerId=56773162&LNX=IOSEMLVDP&searchRadius=0&listingId=324637885

Or maybe a 350z

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?ownerId=57334822&LNX=IOSEMLVDP&searchRadius=0&listingId=329108228

NoBama 2012

The comparison posted earlier was evo/wrx, figured the sti would be more comprable to the evo.

Even a 230hp 02 wrx with 100k on it is 9k, awd just holds its value alot better. At that point the only thing you are gaining on the GTO would be AWD and trunk space. And hey to some that might be worth the trade offs. To each his own.

And reliability, and a car company that is still in business.

And reliability, and a car company that is still in business.

Pontiac is gone but GM remains obviously so I have to disagree with this. Just about all GM brands were the same car with cosmetic differences since the 80s so its not like its totally gone like AMC and others.

Hanging onto the Pontiac isn't in business line is weak

The G5 is close to the old cavalier/sunbird J bodies maybe. May even BE a j body, not sure. But the GTO? Come on.

Nobama 2012

Look at the styling of the gto it looks like the stretched out a cavalier. Look, I'm not saying the car is a junk I'm just saying that I am an old school american muscle car guy and this gen of gto is an insult to the oringinal gto.

A cavalier all grown up.

Please do tell the similarities between the two. Im sure the post will be filled with statistics and logic, can't wait to read it.

Filled with statistics and logic enjoy. :rolleyes: I work on cars and statisticly gm cars spend the most time in the shop behind dodge.