Tell me I'm making the right choice (GTO or GXP)

idodishez

My GTP Grand Prix developed an engine noise, so I sold it as is. Time for another car. Narrowed down to.....

2004 GTO, 350 HP, 6 speed, $8000. Dealer car

hazubeju.jpg

da9e9uqy.jpg

umadasum.jpg

2006 Grand Prix GXP, 305 HP, auto, $5500. Private seller car.

ubeneduv.jpg

yte4u2yn.jpg

Grand Prix: 200k miles, but no body damage or accident history.

GTO: 100k miles. But has carfax

Report of rear end accident. I can also personally tell where it's had paint work in the front. Air bag light is on. Steering wheel off center. All point to "not good". Small dents on hood, but prob not related. Glove box fell out when I opened it. Leather is coming apart at seams from sun damage. Door panel broken. Exhaust is cut off right after the cats. Had a "system" in it, but is lacking the sub. So just an amp in trunk taking up space. Has a built in radar detector, but it doesn't work. Had a custom guage cluster but it's not even hooked up. Has an awesome pioneer navigation/audio head unit.

I drove the GTO. Always wanted one. I kinda like the sleeper aspect to it. It took me back to my 68 firebird days and 94 Z28 days. It's raw horsepower, American muscle car that just screams play w me. Pure sex. My penis says buy it. My experience in the used car biz says its rough, driven by a younger guy who prob didn't take care of it, and that its been through the dealers trying to hide the abuse.

I'm already somewhat committed on the GXP. Made an offer on eBay, not knowing it was a "commit to buy" and it was accepted. Already dragged him on longer than I should have, trying to make my decision.

So I'm pretty sure I'm going to GXP route for financial, moral, and dependability/not a money pit reasons. (I need a daily driver that works every time. Don't have time for a project car)

So would you follow your gut, or your penis?

Nobama 2012

Personally i would say the GTO due to the fact it has half the miles and is a 6 speed. 200k is a lot of miles IMO, but why make an offer if you dont plan to buy?

EDIT: If you bought the GTO i would ask the dealer to fix some of the issues you found or come down on the price.

Didn't realize the eBay offer was a commit to buy. Thought I was just adding options to my list if he accepted.

Yeah, I know I can get newer cars for this amount. But I want one w power and sex appeal. Those cost more:). Trust me, I take my time when it comes to this. Takes me FOREVER to make the final decision.

Miles don't normally scare me. Prob because of my mechanical Backround. My GTP had 222k on it when I sold it wednesday. Got $2200, w iT needing engine work.

On this particular GXP he was asking 7k. I figured if I can get it for cheap it's worth it. Offered 5k. He countered w 6500. I countered w 5500, and it was immediately accepted. 5yjysebe.jpg

NoBama 2012

Not sure why people thing miles are a big deal if properly maintained.

Thats the catch. Could be a big IF coming from anyone you dont know. Guess we'll find out since he won the car. I like them both, but they definitely were a scosh pricey for the mileage and accident history.

04 GTO, 55k miles for 8500. I don't know anything about it though just a quick CL search and that's first one to pop up.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/ctd/3251875034.html

Deals can be had if you look around, depending how far you wanna drive, but I'd definitely say neither on those two cars. And if you can try to find a 05-06 GTO with the ls2.

Edited by nautical1

WS6 Firebird for that or less I'd think?

I'm approaching 200k miles on my Z32 300ZX and would/do drive it everywhere. Not sure why people thing miles are a big deal if properly maintained.

You find me a GM car (not truck) that has 200k on it and lasts more than another 20k and I'll be shocked. That's why miles are a big deal

You find me a GM car (not truck) that has 200k on it and lasts more than another 20k and I'll be shocked. That's why miles are a big deal

"My GTP had 222k on it when I sold it wednesday. Got $2200, w iT needing engine work"

Nobama 2012

04 GTO, 55k miles for 8500. I don't know anything about it though just a quick CL search and that's first one to pop up.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/ctd/3251875034.html

Deals can be had if you look around, depending how far you wanna drive, but I'd definitely say neither on those two cars. And if you can try to find a 05-06 GTO with the ls2.

I like how they tried to slide that "rs title" in there. I assume that's a rebuilt salvage title, and why it's cheap. Other than the one i posted above the Only ones I've found less than 10k needed paint work, had hail damage, rebuilt titles etc.

Nobama 2012

I like how they tried to slide that "rs title" in there. I assume that's a rebuilt salvage title, and why it's cheap. Other than the one i posted above the Only ones I've found less than 10k needed paint work, had hail damage, rebuilt titles etc.

Nobama 2012

Yeah I noticed that after I posted it. Are you just looking for a v8 car? And what price range?

There's this camaro also, if you like the 98-02 f-bodies.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3184563064.html

Edited by nautical1

I cant believe you're considering a car with those many miles on it. both of those are pontiacs. probably the shittiest cars gm ever made and gm makes some shitty cars.

200k is just beyond nuts for a gm vehicle. that car wont last another 40k. hondas have a hard time lasting much past that. I will guarantee you that car will nickle and dime you to death from day one. you don't want to have to work on it...lol...you're picking probably the 2 worst vehicles for that my friend.

and that dealer is smoking crack wanting 8k for a car with all that damage. you'd be very smart to just walk from that one.

I know someone that had one and it sold for about that with no damage.

Edited by serpentracer

"My GTP had 222k on it when I sold it wednesday. Got $2200, w iT needing engine work"

Nobama 2012

And you've made my point...

I didn't read the whole thread. Just details on each car so I must be a genius ;)

Orrrr I just know GM vehicles fairly well

I personally prefer GM. and pontiac had always been my fav. I bought my last 04 grand Prix w 170k miles (for $4400). Put another 50k miles on it in a year ad a half. Never left me stranded once. Other than 2 front wheel bearings and a set of tires i had to do noting to it. Sold it this week w 222k miles on it, needing engine work, for $2200. Not a bad investment I don't think.

Nobama 2012

For most people I guess not, for me that is not a loss I would take. Losing 50% value in 18 months is far too much for me

Then again I have only purchased 1 car or bike that I didn't break even on in the last 10 years. Lost my ass on the first car I bought and vowed not to let that happen again (ok so I did once :lol: )

If you're looking for someone to reinforce your decision to buy a 100K miles Pontiac with literally tons of shit wrong/missing, or a 200K Pontiac, I think you're come to the wrong place. I don't care how "handy" you are, unless you've got access to a full shop, wholesale pricing on parts, and a reliable daily driver when that Pontiac is up on the lift, I'd pass on them both and get something that's actually reliable, preferably something that's not made by GM in the last 20 years.

I'm sure you'll disregard this as you've disregarded the others in this thread, but it's your money and you're a big boy. I look forward to the thread lamenting the fact that your new-to-you car is in the shop, so I'll just post this in advance.

huge-mistake.gif

If you're looking for someone to reinforce your decision to buy a 100K miles Pontiac with literally tons of shit wrong/missing, or a 200K Pontiac, I think you're come to the wrong place. I don't care how "handy" you are, unless you've got access to a full shop, wholesale pricing on parts, and a reliable daily driver when that Pontiac is up on the lift, I'd pass on them both and get something that's actually reliable, preferably something that's not made by GM in the last 20 years.

I'm sure you'll disregard this as you've disregarded the others in this thread, but it's your money and you're a big boy. I look forward to the thread lamenting the fact that your new-to-you car is in the shop, so I'll just post this in advance.

huge-mistake.gif

Truth

In the 11 years I've been driving and owning cars I've had 10 and 8 of those are GMs so trust me I know more than you obviously want to give credit for. You can double that number if we include cars I've driven and worked on that were either of my parents...all GMs as well. I'm not saying I know all but I usually can tell a good buy from a bad one. The GTO is ok, the GXP is an absolute rip off