Local example of govt. waste.

ShawnR

The govt has implemented those requirements to deter mismanagement of assets. They are also not in the business of being held accountable for assets no longer in their possession.

Asset mismanagement prevention does not help tax asset management.

I don't understand why the EPA would want to destroy an engine from '99? If there is some compelling legal argument for why the engine is no longer allowed to be used then presumably a replacement engine is also going to be similarly situated?

I'd love to know the precise reason why the EPA required this engine destroyed. Think of the local small businesses that would love to get their hands on a truck like this.

I don't understand why the EPA would want to destroy an engine from '99? If there is some compelling legal argument for why the engine is no longer allowed to be used then presumably a replacement engine is also going to be similarly situated?

I'd love to know the precise reason why the EPA required this engine destroyed. Think of the local small businesses that would love to get their hands on a truck like this.

I didn't see anything in the ad, but I have to assume this is a diesel truck. There have been a lot of sweeping changes to the way that a diesel exhaust system cleans and catalyzes the fumes in the past 5-10 years - I know when I was working salvage from '06 to '08 our yards in California were already retrofitting or replacing all of the tow motors and front end loaders to meet these more stringent standards. It applied only to commercial grade vehicles like tractor trailers, heavy equipment, etc. Not saying this is why this happened here, but certainly a possibility. The EPA has pretty much lost its mind is the underlying cause, no matter what reason they cite.

It's all about money and not common sense. The EPA requirements in 1999 are not as stringent as they are today. There was likely a grant available for the purchase of a new truck, but in order to get the grant the old "polluter" had to be taken out of service indefinitely.

I was reading about Jeep bringing over the Grand Cherokee from Europe in a diesel form....hopefully for the 2013 year. In Europe it makes 241 hp and 407 lbs-ft for 33mpg on the highway. If the lameass EPA approves it is will probably be closer to 22-25 because of all of the restrictions and cleaning shit.

The new VW golf TDI in Europe GETS 65 MPG!!!! Here...probably will not be nearly the same.

My question is why in the hell does it make more sense to clean the emissions but use a shit ton more of the fuel. I have not done the math, but could one not approximate that using more fuel would negate the cleaner emissions?

I would kill for a JGC that would do 33 mpg on the highway and produce those numbers.

I didn't see anything in the ad, but I have to assume this is a diesel truck. There have been a lot of sweeping changes to the way that a diesel exhaust system cleans and catalyzes the fumes in the past 5-10 years - I know when I was working salvage from '06 to '08 our yards in California were already retrofitting or replacing all of the tow motors and front end loaders to meet these more stringent standards. It applied only to commercial grade vehicles like tractor trailers, heavy equipment, etc. Not saying this is why this happened here, but certainly a possibility. The EPA has pretty much lost its mind is the underlying cause, no matter what reason they cite.

It's called Clean Idle, its the new fad that the government has seen fit dating back to 2006 and on, starting in CA shipping yards etc. They ruined a perfectly good, International/Ford 7.3powerstroke becasue it isn't a clean idle and they probably can't sell it at a Gov't auction any longer due to the restrictions on them.

It's the DEP or whatever fluid that the new diesels have to have added and crap, basically making the trucks exhaust totally clean. Oh and robbing the engine of a ton of power and efficiency.

Funny thing is, you can buy a crate 7.3, direct drop in for like 1200 all day long, this would be a dope farm truck with not much in it, and a plow.

I was reading about Jeep bringing over the Grand Cherokee from Europe in a diesel form....hopefully for the 2013 year. In Europe it makes 241 hp and 407 lbs-ft for 33mpg on the highway. If the lameass EPA approves it is will probably be closer to 22-25 because of all of the restrictions and cleaning shit.

The new VW golf TDI in Europe GETS 65 MPG!!!! Here...probably will not be nearly the same.

My question is why in the hell does it make more sense to clean the emissions but use a shit ton more of the fuel. I have not done the math, but could one not approximate that using more fuel would negate the cleaner emissions?

I would kill for a JGC that would do 33 mpg on the highway and produce those numbers.

The big 3 have been talking about doing this for years, in Europe Ford had a Diesel FOCUS, getting like 50mpg, looked just like the US Focus back in like 2000ish, but a TD engine. The gov't basically blocked it so we didn't get too far ahead in the mpg improvement and make it too hard for others to obtain along with losing $$ on oil profits.

My uncle helped develop the engine when they shipped him over for 6 years. Diesel explorers, expeditions, almost all their passenger cars.

Chrysler has had diesel jeeps over there for years, heck in China, there are propane taxi's, propane everything really. Motorcycles, scooters, are also available with diesel engines.

The US is too obsessed with HP and all that jazz, not to mention all the top dogs have their hands in oil companies, the other countries aren't.

Even other govt agencies. Our local township has truck that even I classify as pieces of crap. There are probably villages all over Ohio that would LOVE to have something like this in running condition.

The replacement truck for this will probably have to be destroyed in a few years with 20k miles on it, and then they will complain about needing to raise taxes again for new equipment.

It's called Clean Idle, its the new fad that the government has seen fit dating back to 2006 and on, starting in CA shipping yards etc. They ruined a perfectly good, International/Ford 7.3powerstroke becasue it isn't a clean idle and they probably can't sell it at a Gov't auction any longer due to the restrictions on them.

It's the DEP or whatever fluid that the new diesels have to have added and crap, basically making the trucks exhaust totally clean. Oh and robbing the engine of a ton of power and efficiency.

Funny thing is, you can buy a crate 7.3, direct drop in for like 1200 all day long, this would be a dope farm truck with not much in it, and a plow.

DEF is the fluid the new diesels are using it is refined cow piss. This is making diesels more expensive to run because it runs about 4.00 a gallon.

When I worked at the VA Hosp I watched them dig bf holes, then dump brand new appliances in them, never been used appliances that had been donated by local business', all because they had no need for them at the moment. They buried them because it was against govt regs to sell or give them away.

DEF is the fluid the new diesels are using it is refined cow piss. This is making diesels more expensive to run because it runs about 4.00 a gallon.

Agreed, my friend wont buy a 2011 or newer Diesel because of it. It destroys the options to add power without spending MASSIVE $$, and he ownes his own shop and is a master mechanic lol.

Totally rediculous and a waste of money.