Tiger 2012 800 Road Tire

Dre

I just washed my bike after a weekend of riding and I found a screw dead center in the rear tire. The tire has about 3000 miles on it and lots of tread left, and while I'm comfortable with a patch on a people mover, I am not comfortable riding a motorcycle on a plug or patch. So, time for a new rear tire.

After some research I am leaning towards Michelin Pilot Road 3 ($163, free ship) or Dunlop RoadSmart II ($178. free ship) tires. I've always used Michelin's on my cars and have been very happy with them so I am leaning (pun intended) in that direction. Any comments either way?

Edited by Dre

Running a RoadSmart on the rear and generally happy with it. Cant comment on mileage as I dont have enuff on it to say one way or another. - I think for rear, I'm comfortable going RoadSmart, PR2 or PR3. I think next time I need a rear, I'm gonna do the price shop thing and go from there. -- Fronts I think I'm sticking with Pilot Powers. I need to trust the front will go where I point it.

just plug it. i know the stigma, but if a plug "fails" it'll be a slow leak and you'll notice.

i have a rear tire curse. every one of my new sets of tires has gotten a screw or nail in the rear. i'm waiting on the one for this set. i've ridden on 3 plugs, 2 down to the wear bars. the other, i sold the bike before it got there.

nonetheless, it worked fine for me.

my $0.02

to answer your question, i love the pr2s.

I just washed my bike after a weekend of riding and I found a screw dead center in the rear tire. The tire has about 3000 miles on it and lots of tread left, and while I'm comfortable with a patch on a people mover, I am not comfortable riding a motorcycle on a plug or patch. So, time for a new rear tire.

After some research I am leaning towards Michelin Pilot Road 3 ($163, free ship) or Dunlop RoadSmart II ($178. free ship) tires. I've always used Michelin's on my cars and have been very happy with them so I am leaning (pun intended) in that direction. Any comments either way?

-- You could go PR2 for $148....

https://www.denniskirk.com/michelin/rear-pilot-road-2-180-55zr-17-blackwall-tire.p543359.prd/543359.sku

i can get you a very good price on PR2 or PR3

personally the PR2 is every bit as good as the PR3, and i have no want or need to switch to the 3 myself. i have been running the PR2 on my bikes for the last 4 years and love them.

let me know your sizes and i can get you a price

What do you guys pay to have tires installed? The dealer I purchased the bike from (Park Cycle in Canton) wants $62.50 each tire. $85 each if I do not buy the tires from them. That's about double what I expected.

Anyone have any suggestions on shops in the Alliance (Canton, Akron, etc) area they trust?

What do you guys pay to have tires installed? The dealer I purchased the bike from (Park Cycle in Canton) wants $62.50 each tire. $85 each if I do not buy the tires from them. That's about double what I expected.

Is that on or off the bike? Off that is high I pay 35 off for mount and balance at Ohio motorcycle no matter where I buy it. If that is on the bike that is pretty good deal.

Anyone have any suggestions on shops in the Alliance (Canton, Akron, etc) area they trust?

$62.50 off bike? $85 on bike? Jeez - tell them to take a flying leap!

My local Dayton place charges $35 off bike if I bring in the tire and $25 if I buy the tire from them.

$62.50 off bike? $85 on bike? Jeez - tell them to take a flying leap!

My local Dayton place charges $35 off bike if I bring in the tire and $25 if I buy the tire from them.

Both prices are on the bike. And pries are each tire. The lower price is if I buy the new tire from them. The higher prices is if I bring in tires I buy from someone else. So $125 to have 2 tires that I purchase from them mounted, balanced, and installed. $170 for mounted, balanced, and installed if I bring in the tires.

Northern Ohio in Akron will do the same work for half that. Sounds like it's time to switch shops.

Check the prices at DucRx in Ravenna. User name here on O.R. is Isaac's Papa - he's changed many tires for me, does great work (he'll take good care of your rims) and doesn't charge as much as the bigger shops.

http://www.ducrx.com/service-tires.htm

CARRY IN MOUNT / BALANCE Sportbikes: $25 per wheel

RIDE IN MOUNT / BALANCE Sportbikes: $35 per wheel

Edited by bambam
Added DucRx prices

Check the prices at DucRx in Ravenna. User name here on O.R. is Isaac's Papa - he's changed many tires for me, does great work (he'll take good care of your rims) and doesn't charge as much as the bigger shops.

http://www.ducrx.com/service-tires.htm

CARRY IN MOUNT / BALANCE Sportbikes: $25 per wheel

RIDE IN MOUNT / BALANCE Sportbikes: $35 per wheel

Excellent! I'll check him out for sure. Thank you!

I have a a plug in the rear of my bike now. Put it in last summer at MotoGP in Indy. Put the tire on the week before Indy, rode to the track on Friday and left with a nail. Plugged it with my plug gun that is always under the seat and have rode it since. Doesn't leak.

With the semi offroad adventure bike tires you have on that bike, i dont know if id feel comfortable with 2 very different tires on it. Id do some google-fu on the availabe tires for that specific model or put PR3's on front and back.

So this turned out to be a good catch. I did some digging and asking around. The stock tires (Pirelli Scorpion Trail) are considered a 90/10 (road/trail) tire. A few people had tried mixing RP3's (or other tires) with the Scorpion Trail front and said they did not feel and quickly switched out the front tire also. In my case, the front tire is fine and I am not going to dump the cash to replace it. Hell, I kept up well enough with the sport bike guys last time out. And I am sure I was slowing the bike down, not the other way around. So, I'll just replace the Scorpion on the rear with the same tire and revisit the RP3's when I need to replace the tires all around.

Thanks to all for the good advice.

Dre