PIRC 9-22 trackday video

RHill

Had a lot of fun yesterday, learning a lot every lap and every break between the sessions. Thanks to everyone who helped to point out how screwed up my suspension is....by the end of the day with the adjustments we made it felt like a whole new bike. Still need to drop some lb's or get some heavier springs for the front; both of those will be upcoming projects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdUAipP_jvQ

Now for my fuckup of the day; put myself in a bad position and basically pushed myself off the track. Had a ton of other options, but I felt like I was on top of and to the outside of the yellow bike. The one thing I'm not yet comfortable with is riding in close proximity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmKS1WvkYOs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning was rough, but it was time well spent figuring out lines and just getting more track time. The afternoon was about perfect; not too hot, not too cold, track was as dry(other than a couple off-line puddles). Even by the time I made my adventure off track, the grass was drying up.

He didn't show you all the video of the guys passing him.

:lol:

I kid. You're doing pretty well out there. If anything else you need to work on your upper body position it looks like. Get you head out over the top of your wrists and lead with your shoulder in the turns.

^ yep, agreed 100%. I was leaning with the upper body much more at nelson, outside arm resting on the tank and head out on the inside. With a back protector in my suit it tightens up, making it much more forced and physical to tuck and lean to the inside with the upper body. Suit breaking in and shedding a few lb's should fix that.

I am baffled as to how you blew T4 so gracefully!

You were so upright in the grass, I can't believe you couldn't keep it on track. Did you freak out and give up a little? Seems like you would have been fine if you'd put your chin down and resigned yourself to staying on track. Have a little faith!

haha I know, it was a split second decision to either stay down and risk losing traction on the grass/rumble strip(never touched that surface before so I had no idea of the traction), or put it upright and roll off the track....I chose to stand it up and take the bumpy ride.

In my mind my front tire was basically beside the rear of the next bike...it obviously was not from looking at the video. I could have easily turned in a little more and stayed on track; hell if I leaned in more earlier I could have passed on the inside on the exit. Riding with packs is something I'm really going to have to work on.

Edited by RHill

Thanks Jeff, looking forward to the next track day or the dream ride.

I checked the video for more areas where I was trailing you, what you saw from the first two sessions is about all I have. Everything else is either stuck in traffic, fogged up, or flybys :p

Thanks Jeff, looking forward to the next track day or the dream ride.

I checked the video for more areas where I was trailing you, what you saw from the first two sessions is about all I have. Everything else is either stuck in traffic, fogged up, or flybys :p

Now I'm thinking those flyby's are partly due to my lack of trust under hard braking!

I'll get it fixed and hopefully be faster !

I didnt think of it at the time, but we should have thrown one of those front stands undre your bike that go under the forks(not triple tree stand). It would have taken the front wheel/bearings out of play so we could tell if it was the bearings or the forks making the noise.

Now for my fuckup of the day; put myself in a bad position and basically pushed myself off the track. Had a ton of other options, but I felt like I was on top of and to the outside of the yellow bike. The one thing I'm not yet comfortable with is riding in close proximity.

Oh shit, I hope I didn't do something to mess you up. I'm the guy on the yellow SV. My apologies if I did. I'm glad you were able to keep the bike rolling.

I've had a couple offs in the same place; missing my turn-in point and didn't lean enough and wound up running wide.

Edited by wantahertzdonut

The Habi was lookin' pretty good out there. You had a good line through 10 and that surprised me a couple times. Mike was making good progress also and just needs to take his time getting back on the horse. Hopefully the tips continue to help you guys get around quicker there.

The Habi was lookin' pretty good out there. You had a good line through 10 and that surprised me a couple times. Mike was making good progress also and just needs to take his time getting back on the horse. Hopefully the tips continue to help you guys get around quicker there.

After Cox adjusted my suspension I realized it wasnt mental. Wish I had some sessions afterwards. Your tips helped a lot learning the track. 10 kicked my ass all day though.

The entry into 10 was fun once I started a later turn in. Hope to get to know everyone a bit better next season!

After Cox adjusted my suspension I realized it wasnt mental. Wish I had some sessions afterwards. Your tips helped a lot learning the track. 10 kicked my ass all day though.

I look forward to you passing me next season!

Oh shit, I hope I didn't do something to mess you up. I'm the guy on the yellow SV. My apologies if I did. I'm glad you were able to keep the bike rolling.

I've had a couple offs in the same place; missing my turn-in point and didn't lean enough and wound up running wide.

No reason to apologize, I was closing the gap and I doubt you even knew I was back there. It really came down to a lack of focus and experience on my part. If I would have looked to the inside I would have hit my apex instead of running it wide and putting myself into a corner between your rear tire and the edge.

I came close to running on a few of those markers and they looked slick. I was the first bike in the next group that came by and saw you riding the dirt. Nice save!

It actually seemed to have some decent traction, but I didn't feel like testing it. Brushed the edge of a couple of the inside painted curbs and they felt slick, but thats when you need the most traction.

Maybe we should pitch in and get Ryan a set of rains. He'll need something knobby if he continues touring the off track portions of the venues. :D

I just like getting back to more natural areas; earlier in the day I filmed some excellent footage of the clouds. I wouldn't say no to some rains though; promise I'll youtube any off-track excursions I take. :D

I am baffled as to how you blew T4 so gracefully!

You were so upright in the grass, I can't believe you couldn't keep it on track. Did you freak out and give up a little? Seems like you would have been fine if you'd put your chin down and resigned yourself to staying on track. Have a little faith!

Dude no shit right? Like granted he wasn't leaned over much, but still, and it sounds like it had been raining so wet grass etc. I'm surprised you didn't eat shit like face plant style, but that was really a pretty looking off tracker.

And yes I said pretty as in 100% ghey as shit. Not you, me. But for real man, nice save, and yes, your upper body position needs a lot of improvement, which is where I started the season too. Glad you had a good time, and looking forward to meeting you next season.

watching now....holy crap, sun murdered your camera going down the front straight

Recognized the bike and camera mount position from the last few seconds of my clip. I was hoping didn't just catch me for the carousel and blow past me on the front straight, but the last few seconds is exactly that. Showed how badly I was still taking that section of the track.

You were moving around there really well...hopefully I'll eventually become that comfortable passing people.

Thanks for posting it up!

Edited by RHill