Track day riders - a "How To" for STT riders...

Moto-Brian

STT is requiring all Intermediate and Advanced riders to drill and wire their oil drain bolts, oil fill caps and oil filters.

As such, many of you out there may not be familiar with doing these things. As such, I have posted a "How To" thread on STT's site. It's fairly quick and not really well detailed, but since a lot of you on here ride at Mid-Ohio and other tracks with STT, I figured before the first event, this might be a good thing to look over and make sure you are fitting within the guidelines.

NOTE: You can silicone the drain bolt and oil fill cap. It is a quick fix and certainly not recommended if you do more than one event, but the filter needs safety wired. NO SILICONE will make it through if I am teching you!

Ask questions and I will try and give responses. April is fast approaching and I know a few of you are hitting up Putnam and Mid-Oh in April so, here ya go:

http://www.sttforum.com/sttforum/viewtopic.php?t=2950

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the process of wire tieng 3 bikes. It was really not as bad as people made it out to be. Dewalt bits are 2nd best and the Rigid brand is the best by far! The drain plug is a easy buy at $12 and is worth it. get a K&N filter cause its pre-drilled. Yea i dont understand the reason these things have to be tied either,but Mine and my friends are almost done.

does this have to be done for track days too or just for the racers?

i know its a dumb question but again have never been to a track day.....

Just for Intermediate and Advance class. You would be in the beginner so you don't have to worry about it.

Curious, what's the purpose? I don't see how it would make the plug or filter stay on. Is it just to keep the parts attached to the bike still after they break off?

Because if you do it right, it keeps the plug, filter, bolts from rotating in the direction that would loosen them.

Curious, what's the purpose? I don't see how it would make the plug or filter stay on. Is it just to keep the parts attached to the bike still after they break off?

You've obviously never waited 2 hours to get back on the track after some dipshit oiled down the track because his oil filter had an extra washer under it.

Safety wire would have prevented that problem....

Because if you do it right, it keeps the plug, filter, bolts from rotating in the direction that would loosen them.

Why wouldn't specified torque keep them on? Why would it start rotating counterclockwise? :confused:

I don't understand the purpose, so I'm just curious and want to ask. Aside from some retard putting an extra washer on his filter.

Why wouldn't specified torque keep them on? Why would it start rotating counterclockwise? :confused:

I don't understand the purpose, so I'm just curious and want to ask. Aside from some retard putting an extra washer on his filter.

Its just a safety measure. Bolts have a tendency to vibrate loose so safety wiring them prevents that.

As far as the extra washer comment.. What they were talking about was the rubber O ring that is already on your oil filter when you buy them. sometimes during an oil change, when you remove the filter, the rubber O ring will rip off the filter and stick to the engine. Then if your not paying attention, when you put the new oil filter on, you end up having 2 O rings on there and the magical leaks and oil sprays soon follow.

Then if your not paying attention, when you put the new oil filter on, you end up having 2 O rings on there and the magical leaks and oil sprays soon follow.

I always lube the rubber ring before installing. I've never had that happen to me. That guy it happened to was a douche for not paying attention when he changes his oil.

ninja nick u calling me a douch. It happend to me and i am very very mechanically inclined and have changed oil in cars,bikes and boats at least 100 times. It happend to me and i learned the hard way. At least you got a heads up on here so it doesnt happen to you! U cant be perfect because you have a kawi lol

Knowing how to change oil right doesn't make anyone perfect. You fucked up, deal with it. Don't start hating on me because I pay attention when I'm working on my bike. I've fucked up things before, but an oil change has never been one. You 2 must wear panties because I think they're bunching up.

No, it didn't get to me. I like dissing other brands as much as the next guy. If I'm going to dish it, I better be able to take it. It doesn't bother me at all man. Todd#43 is just an asshole who thinks he's the smartest man on earth. He's just a stupid renter like his title says. :D

It did really suck when it happend to me. I had just detailed the whole bike with the plastics off and waxed the plastics. I even had fired it up before putting it back together and all was good. I got geared up and made it to the end of the driveway and boom! It was so stupid and I hope it doesnt happen to anyone else. At least i was still in the driveway!

Good ole double gasket trick. Seen it many times when I used to work on cars alot. Easier to do than you think. I just always make sure the gasket is still in the filter. Ive been lucky enough to never do it. knock on whood.... ANYWAY, how bout that safety wire! Iron pony sells the pliers you need if anyone is wondering. There are actually decently priced there too, compared to some places. They're back by the tires under the counter for check out.

ANYWAY, how bout that safety wire! Iron pony sells the pliers you need if anyone is wondering. There are actually decently priced there too, compared to some places. They're back by the tires under the counter for check out.

Unless your racing and using them all the time, just grab a set of pliers from harbor freight.. they have 2 models. One is 7.99 and the other is 9.99. the only difference is that one is a 6" set of pliers and the other is a 9" plier. I have read many comments on the WERA board about the different models. You can break 3 of the Harbor Freight ones for the same cost of the others.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45341

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45340

Pony wants 24.99 for theirs

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/8403816.jpg/Brand/EMGO/Class2/Garage%20and%20Shop/Class3/Tools/Class1/STREET%20PRODUCTSw