Track day riders - a "How To" for STT riders...

Moto-Brian

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious, what's the purpose? I don't see how it would make the plug or filter stay on. Is it just to keep the parts attached to the bike still after they break off?

I'm catching up to teh thread and assume someone has answered this, but safety wire holds the bolt and filters from backing out and causing oil to leak or the bolt to fall out. Vibration is an enemy for racers and track day riders. Imagine riding your favorite road at full tilt all day long. Vibration will cause things to become loose. Safety is key and even though it may be considered slightly overkill, it is a great precaution.

I've been on the receiving end of a loose oil drain bolt and it wasn't pretty...

i still dont get why they would only want the i and a classes do it and not the beginners? is that correct

My guess and this is just a guess but generally your not running full tilt boogy woogy in novice.. The higher the rpms, the more vibration your going to be getting.. Also, I think Lizard said this on another board and that is that having to safety wire these for a first time track day'er may deter some people... Either way, I dont have a problem with it especially if it keeps people safer on the track.

Here's the deal... I and A riders are riders that return and have experience at a track. They understand the aspect of safety and also understand what happens if someone oils the track and they get only an hour of track time for their money. Or, what it means to have a bike destroyed because of oil dropped.

Novice riders are newbies. Many, first time track day goers. They have simply never been to the track and are somewhat aprehensive and not 100% secure. Some just want to see what goes on and how it goes about.

If we have novice riders do everything the I and A riders do, it will certainly prohibit a TON of riders from even trying it. Many here are negative towards track days for wrong reasons and that's their own feelings. Many are interested and want to try it. If I told you to do all this stuff just to try and see, doubt you'd be too interested and probably stick to street riding.

It's a business call and it makes sense. I think after 9 years of doing it, Monte knows a few things...

STT Beginner group is one of the best Novice groups out (NESBA has similar setup) where the morning sessions are structured into follow the leader to help new riders introduce themselves to the track and best practices on the track and bike operations. THen the afternoon sessions are more open, but patrolled.

My Dad did STT day the first time and was told there was going to be no passing and may hit 90 mph on the front straight. When the group came on the front straight they opened the gas and did faster over what he thought they were going to do. Then two other groups (beginner divides into 5 groups generally) went by on both sides on teh front straight. After that he almost pulled in the pits and never went back out again...

But by the end of the day he was more comrotable.

why not buy these? http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm/cid/1307004/pid/19295

or this

http://www.edbargyracingschool.com/kit.htm

the ti kit is pricey but if you have spare money, but the ed bargy setup is a good start.

Because that shit is fucking expensive if you can work a drill.

I just ordered a pre drilled drain bolt since the stock one is solid and would be a pain in the ass drilling without a drill press.

Pre drilled Drain Bolt 12.50 motomummy.com

Saftey wire pliers 6.99 harbor freight

Band Clamp. 1.25 Any hardware store.. you pick.

The rest of the bolts I can drill myself with a little time.

Haven't been to a trackday before or done this to a bike, but I remember seeing a post about this on 600rr.net a while back. Not sure how valuable these are, but here are some links from there.

http://www.rc51.org/wire1.htm

http://www.whizwheels.com/Tips/safetywiring.html

http://www.emra.ca/Tech%20Tips/Tech%20Tips.htm

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0002_hand/index.html

STT is requiring all Intermediate and Advanced riders to drill and wire their oil drain bolts, oil fill caps and oil filters.

As such, many of you out there may not be familiar with doing these things. As such, I have posted a "How To" thread on STT's site. It's fairly quick and not really well detailed, but since a lot of you on here ride at Mid-Ohio and other tracks with STT, I figured before the first event, this might be a good thing to look over and make sure you are fitting within the guidelines.

NOTE: You can silicone the drain bolt and oil fill cap. It is a quick fix and certainly not recommended if you do more than one event, but the filter needs safety wired. NO SILICONE will make it through if I am teching you!

Ask questions and I will try and give responses. April is fast approaching and I know a few of you are hitting up Putnam and Mid-Oh in April so, here ya go:

http://www.sttforum.com/sttforum/viewtopic.php?t=2950

The Flyer they sent out does not say the Oil filter needs to be wired... So which is it? It just states Oil Filler cap and Drain plug.

Haven't been to a trackday before or done this to a bike, but I remember seeing a post about this on 600rr.net a while back. Not sure how valuable these are, but here are some links from there.

http://www.rc51.org/wire1.htm

http://www.whizwheels.com/Tips/safetywiring.html

http://www.emra.ca/Tech%20Tips/Tech%20Tips.htm

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0002_hand/index.html

Good info for the first timer..

So what are the rules??? Lizard A & I need Drain, Filler, and Filter need wired. Flyer they sent out A & I need Drain and filler cap Wired, Their site says just Advanced Needs Drain, Filler, Filter.

From STT.com

Bike Preparation

1) All bikes MUST pass technical inspection prior to admittance to the track. If your bike DOES NOT pass tech inspection, you will NOT receive a refund.

2) Tires and brakes must be in good condition. Tires should be at least 75% of new condition. Any tires that are bluing from excessive wear will be disallowed. Slicks are allowed in 85% plus condition. We will have on site tire service at each track day, so if your tires don't pass, you will have the opportunity to put on replacement tires to pass tech.

3) All glass, headlight, turn signals, and plastic lenses must be taped over or removed. Side mirrors must be removed for the advanced group and at least taped over for all other groups.

4) We recommend, but do not require removal of center stands. No bikes with center stands will be allowed in the Advanced/Racer Group due to the ground clearance issue.

5) All machines must have an operational handlebar mounted kill switch/button and self-closing throttle in good working condition.

6) Advanced and Intermediate group riders MUST use water or water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, and Engine Ice. NO AUTOMOTIVE ETHYL GLYCOL BASED COOLANTS ARE ALLOWED.

7) All valve stems must have caps.

8) Wheel balance weights must be well-secured.

9) License plates must have bolts taped or be removed.

10) Added for 2008 season: Advanced riders are required to safety wire drain plugs, oil filter and oil caps.

Novice riders are newbies. Many, first time track day goers. They have simply never been to the track and are somewhat aprehensive and not 100% secure. Some just want to see what goes on and how it goes about.

that would be this guy right here!! sorry i am asking these dumb questions cuz i dont wanna show up and not be prepared......

that would be this guy right here!! sorry i am asking these dumb questions cuz i dont wanna show up and not be prepared......

If your asking questions to get you prepared to get on the track then there is nothing dumb about it. You are taking the right steps.

You'll be fine. Just pay good attention to getting the lights taped and all things like turn signals, wheel weights (a HUGE missed area) and make sure there is absolutely NO anti-freeze in her.

If you have any issues or concerns/questions, PM me and I will try and help. We look forward to seeing you there. What event?

You'll be fine. Just pay good attention to getting the lights taped and all things like turn signals, wheel weights (a HUGE missed area) and make sure there is absolutely NO anti-freeze in her.

If you have any issues or concerns/questions, PM me and I will try and help. We look forward to seeing you there. What event?

Engine Ice, Liquid Performance type anti freezes are allowed though.

Engine Ice, Liquid Performance type anti freezes are allowed though.

I was refering to OEM Green stuff... Those are synthetic Glycol based products that STT DOES allow... WERA does not.

Actually, I'm not even 100% that we require the green stuff to be removed from Novice riders' bikes...

I was refering to OEM Green stuff... Those are synthetic Glycol based products that STT DOES allow... WERA does not.

Actually, I'm not even 100% that we require the green stuff to be removed from Novice riders' bikes...

Yeah the flyer didn't specify anything beside the normal tape up for Novice.

I don't understand why those are still allowed. One of the trackDaz guys did a test in the pits out at Willow Springs with Engine Ice

It took like 30-minutes or so to dry and was slick. then when they poured water back on it, it was slick as regular freeze.

He said the only difference is the Poly stuff isn't toxic.. I am acutally glad WERA doesn't allow it.

Yeah the flyer didn't specify anything beside the normal tape up for Novice.

I don't understand why those are still allowed. One of the trackDaz guys did a test in the pits out at Willow Springs with Engine Ice

It took like 30-minutes or so to dry and was slick. then when they poured water back on it, it was slick as regular freeze.

He said the only difference is the Poly stuff isn't toxic.. I am acutally glad WERA doesn't allow it.

I agree 100%, but that's what they allow and also a few other racing orgs. In fact, AMA allows some Poly based stuff, as well...