Girlfriends Nephew wants Busa for his first bike.

DTM Brian

You deal with it the same way you deal with anything else involving a 17 year old.

Laugh and wait for him to change his mind. No way he affords an $8k motorcycle and the accompanying insurance. He can talk a big game, but at the end of the day, if he's still living with your girlfriend, she can veto the decision. Her garage, her rules.

I don't know why you guys think its so unbelievable a 17 yr old could afford the bike? He likely has next to no other bills, maybe a cell phone? I paid 10k cash for a car when I was 17. Didn't any of you work? I worked part time jobs during school and full time in the construction trades over summers. I made a decent buck.

I don't know why you guys think its so unbelievable a 17 yr old could afford the bike? He likely has next to no other bills, maybe a cell phone? I paid 10k cash for a car when I was 17. Didn't any of you work? I worked part time jobs during school and full time in the construction trades over summers. I made a decent buck.

Maybe because some of us remember when we were kids and we blew all our cash on trying to get laid. Could also be due to some of our parents didnt teach anything about being frugal with our money. Not all kids have the knowledge on how to save cash and just spend like hell because they dont have any bills.

Yup, can't see it for a youngster. My 919 will theoretically equal or better the Busa at 0-60mph. If I ever actually learn to do a good launch. (And absolutely no match for a Busa beyond that...) I can't see it lasting more than a short length of time for a young rider.

I mean, I spent half a Summer, just trying to learn how to keep the front wheel on the ground. It wasn't easy at all. He's not going to take the time to learn that.

Liter and up is too much. Weight, horsepower and torque. He needs to calm down and do it right.

edit: on the other hand, if he intends to only buy chrome and lights, and ride to the Taco Bell, He might survive.

interwebz ref:

List of fastest production motorcycles by acceleration

(Honda 919 maybe 2.33 - 2.90 0-60mph)

Edited by ReconRat

Nope. Always playing one of 3 sports. Summer time was traveling teams and national tournaments. Had no time for work. Any free time was spent with friends enjoying my childhood. Plenty of time for work when you are an adult.

Every bike that I have put my sons on, I have had the respect talk with them. respect that bike, cause it WILL hurt you. I got a CB750 when I was 17. I respected it, but also learned my lesson the hard way. I personally don't think a scare tactic would work, it would just give him false hopes of what he can do. Our middle son went through the same thing, at the same age, and we told him we would have no part of it, but we would help him get a Dual sport or SM bike if he insisted. He is almost 20 now, and hasn't riden on the street yet....(except when he took my FZ1 to school one day) He still hasn't lived that down.

Hehe, reminds me of the early 17th century when I was in high school. My buddy Todd and his family were big into mx racing. After Honda's V4s hit the market, dad bought a VF500 for the kids to ride, and a VF1000R for himself. We all thought the VF500 was pretty badass, but one day Todd showed up at school with the 1kR. Said he almost killed himself a few times on the way in, then almost finished himself off on the way out of the parking lot trying to launch into hyperspace. Guessing it was exciting when he got home; he ended up driving the rest of the year.

I've wanted a 1kR ever since...

I'm 17. I know everything. I can ride a four-wheeler so it's only logic that a two-wheeler would be half as hard to ride. What could I possibly need to learn? I would never try anything that could get me hurt. I would never try to show off in front of my friends. I would never try anything that I wasn't ready for. I know not to wreck my motorcycle. I will take good care of it. I won't get hurt. I know how to ride one. No, I've never ridden one but I know how to ride one. A big motorcycle is just as easy to ride as a small one.

Oh yeah, kid? How about these people who ALL knew better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4UdrUspFzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5G6FPcGXps&feature=g-vrec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLN7ksG0oBw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YFhedJNdp4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JUSWgOcLtg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58BreQNhsMc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIV3MpeaQpk

• Upvote 1

Nope. Always playing one of 3 sports. Summer time was traveling teams and national tournaments. Had no time for work. Any free time was spent with friends enjoying my childhood. Plenty of time for work when you are an adult.

I played baseball and was an all-state wrestler. I hung out with and had plenty of friends, and chased girls. I also learned the value of some hard work, and if I wanted a car, gas money etc. I had to earn it myself, my parents didn't have a ton of money to throw around. I worked by choice, and had fun doing it.

The point being, the OP said his gf's nephew wants a busa, and has the means to get one. Everyone here is writing him off like he could never afford one. It's quite possible he could afford one. There's several on eBay with a buy it now around 5k.

I played baseball and was an all-state wrestler. I hung out with and had plenty of friends, and chased girls. I also learned the value of some hard work, and if I wanted a car, gas money etc. I had to earn it myself, my parents didn't have a ton of money to throw around. I worked by choice, and had fun doing it.

The point being, the OP said his gf's nephew wants a busa, and has the means to get one. Everyone here is writing him off like he could never afford one. It's quite possible he could afford one. There's several on eBay with a buy it now around 5k.

I understand. I was just answering your question "Didn't any of you work?". Honestly I mowed lawns here and there but that is it. My parents gave me money if needed now and then until I was 18 and then I started making my own. I was lucky enough that my parents were able to give me cash now and then. I did do a shit load of chores though. :dunno: I understand everybodies life is different, but majority of teens don't have money to pay for a 1352cc Busa and insurance. Im impressed if one does man. :cool:

Edited by NinjaNick

When I was 21 insurance on a busa was $300/month. I decided fuck that and kept my 600rr.

Now its because of the hype of the busa to many squids get them and crash bad. I had my busa for 6 years now. Been riding since I was 19 years old first bike was a 83 honda 550 night hawk. And back then I got ins. for that bike was a 1000.00 with a permit in NY.

not reading all 3 pages of this shit.....but honestly....this thread makes me want a busa lol

haha, I miss my Busa.. Back to the topic, is it even possible to get insurance on a Busa at 17?

First bike? No way! I remember my first Hayabusa being on the freeway, thought, I'll pass this car.. I was only doing about 70, shifted down into 3rd pulled out to pass, punched it and that front wheel came off the ground and I was going 130 in notime. Thinking about it now, I miss my Busa, but at the time it scared the piss out of me.

haha, I miss my Busa.. Back to the topic, is it even possible to get insurance on a Busa at 17?

Where you work I'm surprised you don't know the answer to this question. :lol: I'm willing to bet a significant part of your salary (and my contract, for that matter) came from 17 year olds trying to insure blatant death-traps like a Hayabusa. :)

Where you work I'm surprised you don't know the answer to this question. :lol: I'm willing to bet a significant part of your salary (and my contract, for that matter) came from 17 year olds trying to insure blatant death-traps like a Hayabusa. :)

Nationwide will not insure Hayabusa's.. I had my policy through State Farm

I think it's hilarious, the adults that want to "teach" a 17 y/o something through YouTube videos. I'm sure he's seen them all and could even add a few.

If I truly cared about the kid, I would let him ride a bike I purchased. If I can't trust him to do that, then he's on his own.