WTB 600ish cc sportsbike (considering ST aswell)

Exarch

I actually HATED my VFR when I first got it because the ergo's were so different from the 600rr and 636 I was used to. However, once I put some miles on it it hands down became my favorite out of all the bikes I've had. Tried to go back to a 600RR again and couldn't stand it. Fixed it and sold that bitch without ever putting plates on it

moral of the story is....anything "different" is gonna feel awkward until you get a feel for it

I actually HATED my VFR when I first got it because the ergo's were so different from the 600rr and 636 I was used to. However, once I put some miles on it it hands down became my favorite out of all the bikes I've had. Tried to go back to a 600RR again and couldn't stand it. Fixed it and sold that bitch without ever putting plates on it

moral of the story is....anything "different" is gonna feel awkward until you get a feel for it

Well, that is true I suppose, but starting on something with a similar feel seems more appealing. Some things I can learn to deal with, but other things(like constantly laying on the tank) I don't think I'd want/could get used to.

Awkward... Thanks, my phone doesn't autocorrect the word "awkward" or even give an alternative option to the word. I figured I was spelling it wrong, but nothing I tried typing showed up on my little spelling menu :(

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_V-Strom_650

Wiki calls it a dual sport :dunno: I never claimed to know anything about the v storm other than the fact that it's a dual sport. I have no clue how I am way off about the bike though, I will look at the Suzuki website to confirm if it is or isn't a dual sport, if Suzuki claims it's a dual sport then someone owes me an apology ;) if Suzuki claims its a ST(im assuming thats what your classifying it as) then wiki is wrong and oh well, a usually reliable source of information is now on my shitlist.

Someone here rides a vstorm 1k, not sure who, but I looked it up cuz I usually end up up wiking bikes that I've never seen so I kind of assumed the 650 would come up as dual sport aswell. I guess wiki is wrong though, I'll look more into these when I get a chance.

I know exactly what a Vstrom is because I owned 1 for 4 years. ;) They are an adventure touring bike, Suzuki are imbeciles for even calling it a dual sport. They can be made to do almost anything, and they are capable of serious distance touring in comfort and uber reliability.

And a Gixxer for main transportation, and you dont wanna be laying on the tank? :wtf: Wrong wrong wrong choice for so many reasons, and you are not even close to being able to safely riding and controlling a flat out "race bike". You will regret that purchase, and you will not like the insurance rates either. A bike for daily transportation should make allot of sense, and many good choices out there for versatile scoots. And for the record......I have witnessed Vstrom riders embarrassing many sportier bikes in the twisty bits.

Edited by Pokey

I know exactly what a Vstrom is because I owned 1 for 4 years. ;) They are an adventure touring bike, Suzuki are imbeciles for even calling it a dual sport. They can be made to do almost anything, and they are capable of serious distance touring in comfort and uber reliability.

And a Gixxer for main transportation, and you dont wanna be laying on the tank? :wtf: Wrong wrong wrong choice for so many reasons, and you are not even close to being able to safely riding and controlling a flat out "race bike". You will regret that purchase, and you will not like the insurance rates either. A bike for daily transportation should make allot of sense, and many good choices out there for versatile scoots. And for the record......I have witnessed Vstrom riders embarrassing many sportier bikes in the twisty bits.

I mentioned the 750 and kind of favor it just cuz of the droped/stretched one I sat on.l, I didn't ride.it though. Also ya, insurance will be a factor in my choice of bike. $300 a month is redicilous. I pay $160 full coverage right now through progressive. I wouldnt mind paying like 5-600 or so a year for minimum, but if I find out somethings gunna be retarded expensive when I go.to get a quote ima pass on it.

I mentioned the 750 and kind of favor it just cuz of the droped/stretched one I sat on.l, I didn't ride.it though. Also ya, insurance will be a factor in my choice of bike. $300 a month is redicilous. I pay $160 full coverage right now through progressive. I wouldnt mind paying like 5-600 or so a year for minimum, but if I find out somethings gunna be retarded expensive when I go.to get a quote ima pass on it.

Progressive charged me for min. coverage by year, not by month. If you pay 5-600/year for minimum motorcycle coverage, you either have lots of skeletons in your closet (and the way you ride, I don't doubt this in the least), or you're every bit of the rube I think you are.

For even a OK driving record with 2 speeds and a sub-5K claim I was paying 150/yr for minimum coverage on a 2003 600RR. I expect gixxer rates to be MUCH higher.

Progressive charged me for min. coverage by year, not by month. If you pay 5-600/year for minimum motorcycle coverage, you either have lots of skeletons in your closet (and the way you ride, I don't doubt this in the least), or you're every bit of the rube I think you are.

For even a OK driving record with 2 speeds and a sub-5K claim I was paying 150/yr for minimum coverage on a 2003 600RR. I expect gixxer rates to be MUCH higher.

$160 is per year for full coverage on the ninja. There is another recent thread(my gfs nepew wants a busa) and someone, more than 1 person I think even, said $300 a month and someone said something about $3.2k a year on insurance. Once I take my MFS and report that I now have my endorsements I'm thinking a 4-600 would be.decent per year? The only reason I mentioned monthy is cuz someone else did in that other thread.

Once I store my bike I should get a partial refund from progressive cuz im gonna drop the coverage to bare minimum and they said that wouldn't be a problem, just call and let them know.

If you can get insured on a GSXR for less than $1200 a year through a national big name insurance company I will be shocked

Is that for all models? Including the 600-750? I think the gsxr500 has a different name gs 500f so im guessing that wouldn't be included?

there is no GSX-R500. Well' date=' at least not in the states.[/quote']

I know that, there is a 500 version though, I'm just not 100% sure on the name or if its even available in the states.

My question was more/less if Suzuki is higher to insure than other brands or if it was just their gsxr600 and higher sports bikes or just all their sportsbikes available(because I'm sure some people in the states do have the 500s)

I'll look up the name of their 500 real quick.

Ok its the GS500E(naked) and GS500F(full fairing) from what I gather they were sold in the US from 89-2003 after 2003 they stopped selling them in the US. This is just what I gathered from wiki.

That 98 yzf is a real nice find, if I had my bike sold right now I'd jump all over it. it's well below my price range and looks pretty damn clean. I might be look into selling my bike at $2.8k (lowest I'm willing to take, but not in a rush to sell at that price) if this guy I turned down is still interested in it.

I know a little about the yzf and have read some good reviews from owners of the bike for when I had a trade offer on mine, but it would of blown my budget. Anyone here have anything to say about the yzf600r?

I got a text from a guy about trading my ninja 250r for his ninja 650r. Opinions on this anyone? So far all I know is its an 07 with 10k miles and it fell over while stoped once so there are some bangups. He says the 650 is too big for him so he is looking for something smaller.

Edited by Exarch

Is that for all models? Including the 600-750? I think the gsxr500 has a different name gs 500f so im guessing that wouldn't be included?

and race replica model 600 will be at least that. So 600rr, zx6r, gsxr600 and r6. the more CC the more the policy will be

I got a text from a guy about trading my ninja 250r for his ninja 650r. Opinions on this anyone? So far all I know is its an 07 with 10k miles and it fell over while stoped once so there are some bangups. He says the 650 is too big for him so he is looking for something smaller.

finally a bike that actually makes sense...yes i'd look into it even as a straight up trade, you'd be upgrading and get your asking price for the 250

I was just thinking about one of these for you. They are lower and not as radical as the RR version. I'd hop on that if you can come to a deal.

A friend of mine initially had an older version of this bike and it is much more relaxed and a nice overall bike.

Mary

I like my 650, has power to go when needed. Dont really see a reason for something bigger good around town, fun in twisties, seating not to extreme i got the sport bars to. I mean you can only go so fast in the corners and speed limit is 65 on freeways:D

Well, that is true I suppose, but starting on something with a similar feel seems more appealing. Some things I can learn to deal with, but other things(like constantly laying on the tank) I don't think I'd want/could get used to.

For a point of reference I went from this

ef3e5e73.jpg

To this

Winton.jpg

It was uncomfortable at first but now it feels great and I love riding it, just look at my odometer :D

Thanks for the input y'all, I will defiantly look into that 650r some more. I'm cool with a straight up trade and I think he is aswell after talking to him some more. They book for practically the same value, both have some damage, mine has some upgrades though and his is stock. The first thing I would probably do is put on new tires(road attacks? Pilots? Battles?)

If anyone wants to maybe come check the bike out with me if/when we set up a time/place/day to meet up let me know. I know alot of people arnt too flexible or probably wouldn't want to check it out with me, but I figure it can't hurt to ask. I just want to make sure the bike is every bit as mechanically sound as he claims it is, even if it's just a quick inspection or whatever so I don't end up getting screwed. My bike is in tip top shape(besides cosmetics obviously) and the only issue(I have talked to 4 shops and all say this is pretty common) is a slight squeal sometimes, but not always. All 4 shops have test rode it(vista, comp acc, performance.cycles, sportys) and 2 shops checked it over good and worked on the bike. I have nothing at all to hide about my bike and am honest as possible, I just hope this guy is the same way.

Have him meet u at a shop and have them go over it. Also you'll hear a buzzing sound coming from the gauges/upper fairings its normal and common on the 06to08 i think, just get a louder pipe or get used to it! Only happens around 4k rpms. The buzzing sound is like plastic on plastic.

Have him meet u at a shop and have them go over it. Also you'll hear a buzzing sound coming from the gauges/upper fairings its normal and common on the 06to08 i think, just get a louder pipe or get used to it! Only happens around 4k rpms. The buzzing sound is like plastic on plastic.

We talked it over and were gunna meet at a shop, it should only be $65ish per bike for inspection(quote is from performance cycles) and then we can both walk away with no doubts :)

O.K. I just talked to the guy some more and he said there is a small crack in the fairings from when he bought the bike. I'm not too sure how concerned I should be about this? I haven't seen pics of the bike yet, but the guy is going to make a 360 walk around video of the bike.

He is from Lexington KY and im from Dayton so I was thinking about maybe cinci? Anyone know a good shop to have our bikes inspected out there maybe recommendation on another place for us to meet up at?(as long as there is a bike shop at said location) also I'm not gunna lie cinci drivers scare the shit out of me, even when I'm in my car, so any recommendations on a good route for going out there?

Also if anyone thinks making a group ride up to Cincinnati area using just back roads and maybe a little slab would be fun let me know and I'll make a post in the rides and events section. So far the plan is to meet up Saturday and that's really about it. Hopefully my wife hasn't made any plans or doesn't have to work.

If there just happens to be anyone wanting to ride up there will be some slight downtime while our bikes are being inspected at the shop.