Selling a bike long-distance via shipping...

Coyote

What to look out for?

Got an offer for my Tuono though apriliaforum...Asked if I'd be willing to ship if he made the arrangements (New York). Having never dealt w/ selling/shipping a vehicle long distance, what are some red-flags to watch out for, or insistence to make on my part?

apriliaforum is very similar community to O-R, just marque-specific and international. This guy has a 1-year, 77 post history there...

Make sure funds clear first...

Once the bike is on the truck, and the title is open, it's his bike.

my dad sold his 78 cb750 this way.

Guy sent the money, we had the funds verified and cleared through the bank.

The truck showed up, we loaded the bike on the truck, and the driver strapped it down and took it from there.

Edited by magley64

I shipped through FowardAir before. I ended up setting it up through ForwardAir and had the arrangements in my name. It was just easier. But you can also make them set up all the arrangements so you just have to drop the bike at the terminal, load it into the crate, lock it up and drive home.

I received a bank check overnighted once it cleared, I overnighted him the keys, combinations for the locks and title. I dropped the bike off at ForwardAir, packed it in the crate (I made him purchase the straps as well) locked it up and it was on it's way.

It made it to him in Alabama from Ohio in about a weeks time. Everything went smoothly. Shipping a bike isn't as tough as most make it out. It takes time, but if you get it setup properly up front, it's easy.

I'd be very careful. Make him pay with a reputable payment source, with repercussion capabilities (Paypal or the like). Get all his information. Full legal name, address, phone number... I might even ask for a picture of his driver's license with a current piece of mail.

Lots of people get screwed this way.

Yep, what they said. Get a check and wait for it to clear. Preferably, a cashiers check from a major bank (i.e. Bank of America, Walmart) that operates in many states and you can cash it at those banks. Western Union might be another way but the fees can be a bitch.

Then yes, let him arrange the shipping and you supply your contact info for the driver.

By all means, talk live on the phone about the details.

I bought two bikes this way and arranged the shipping both times. However, I was dealing with businesses and not private parties.

I sold a R/60 to a guy in Argentina; I waited until I had the funds in my PayPal and it was ready for me to move to my bank. Then he made all the arrangements and sent the shipper to pick it up. I would not under any circumstances pay for the shipping for anyone, they should do that. Also take lots of pics of the bike the day the shipper comes and time stamp them along with pics after the shipper has loaded the bike and it is strapped down. Just in case it is damaged after it leaves you. Get a reciepr from the shipper before he leaves.

Everyone else has posted lots of great info so far. Here's some of the scams to look out for:

The buyer wanting to send someone to pick up the bike and their "purchaser" will have the money for you on the day of pick up. (The funds are not going to clear your bank.)

They buyer accidentally sends you 6,000 instead of your 5,000. Ooops! No big deal, can you just give him the 1,000 extra back when the bike is picked up? (You just lost your bike and 1,000 cause their 6,000 check is no good.)

I actually prefer to arrange shipping or be involved in some way, then I know the person coming to get the bike isn't someone working for the buyer (or the buyer himself) that is trying to rip me off.

I've had 3 bikes shipped to me and shipped 1 out that I sold, and haven't had any problems so far.

Any check must be drawn on a US bank. Go to that bank and cash it. Forged checks, especially drawn on foreign bank, can take weeks to come back as fraudulent - during which time your bank has already "cleared" the check. Suddenly now they want all their money back. If you go directly to a branch of that bank you can have them verify the check. Especially a cashier's check - they can look in their records and show that the check is real based upon their record of the check being cut.

I would not accept a personal check for a vehicle. No way to know if it will clear, even if it's genuine. Of course with a cashier's check the money has already been taken from their account so if it's a real check it WILL clear.

What to look out for?

Got an offer for my Tuono though apriliaforum...Asked if I'd be willing to ship if he made the arrangements (New York). Having never dealt w/ selling/shipping a vehicle long distance, what are some red-flags to watch out for, or insistence to make on my part?

apriliaforum is very similar community to O-R, just marque-specific and international. This guy has a 1-year, 77 post history there...

Close to 1500.00 it depends on shipper

Thanks, appreciate the offers...

If he buys it (per the thread over there: right now there are a couple base models in the running, insurance payout wait, etc.) I will discuss the offers to deliver & cost with him since cost will be on him.