Going to the range this week... help me out...

jester3681

Hey all, planning on taking the Bersa to the range this week and wanted to know what to expect. I've done some shooting in the past, but all of it was "tin can in the back yard" type stuff and they generally frown on that in the Near East side of Columbus...

First, I live in Columbus, and planned on going to the Powder Room in Powell. From what I've seen lurking around here and from other folks, that's not a terrible one - am I wrong?

I have some hearing and eye protection from work - are they cool with me using that?

Do I get targets to use as part of the range fee? And how much ammo should I bring? Basically, I just want to get some rounds through the gun, get myself used to shooting again and not spend my allowance all in one place - I have a box of 50 rounds that I got with the gun and I'd have no problem with the investment of using them all.

Just looking for some words of advice. Thanks!

I've had good experiences at powder room. You have to buy your own targets, they sell them there.

Make sure your gun stays in the box when you're not shooting, they'll yell at you if you carry it outside your lane. ;)

When do you plan on going?

I'm kind of open. Not tomorrow, but Thursday or Friday. I take the kiddo to school and pick her up Thursday AM - maybe in the afternoon? I wouldn't be opposed to some company - I know you wanted to try out some guns - they have them for rent and you're welcome to try the Bersa - it's a fairly compact gun, we really got it for my wife more than anything.

The Four Basic Rules of Firearms Safety

1. All guns are always loaded.

Treat every gun as if it was loaded, at all times, no matter what. Think and BELIEVE every time the gun is handled, it could fire.

2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

Be conscious of the direction your muzzle is pointed at all times.

This includes at yourself, any other person, animal, or property unless you are either intending to or do not care about destroying or killing that person/object.

NEVER handle a gun behind other people or bend over with a gun in your hand on a shooting range.

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are aligned with the target.

Pay attention to what you are doing while handling a firearm.

DO NOT let your finger contact the trigger until the gun is on target.

4. Be sure of your target and its surroundings.

Pay attention to what is going on around your target.

YOU are responsible for the terminal resting place of the bullet, intentionally fired or not, no matter what happened.

Oh yeah, don't forget to have fun!;)

• Upvote 1

I'm kind of open. Not tomorrow, but Thursday or Friday. I take the kiddo to school and pick her up Thursday AM - maybe in the afternoon? I wouldn't be opposed to some company - I know you wanted to try out some guns - they have them for rent and you're welcome to try the Bersa - it's a fairly compact gun, we really got it for my wife more than anything.

I actually got one today that I wanted to play with. I work til 4 on Thurs. and work all day Fri. So I might be able to join you. I've heard the Powder Room is pretty pricey. Do you know how much it costs?

I actually got one today that I wanted to play with. I work til 4 on Thurs. and work all day Fri. So I might be able to join you. I've heard the Powder Room is pretty pricey. Do you know how much it costs?

Google is your friend.

http://www.powderrm.com/ranges.htm

Yeah, $10/half hour plus stuff. I'd need the targets, but nothing else. I'd likely only stay a half hour - but either Thursday or Friday would be fine. Think they're open until 8 both days.

Yeah, $10/half hour plus stuff. I'd need the targets, but nothing else. I'd likely only stay a half hour - but either Thursday or Friday would be fine. Think they're open until 8 both days.

Thurs at like 5 would work awesome for me. I need target too and the eye/ear gear unless I have some stuff at work I can just use. There might be some.

Yeah, I work in a high noise/eye protection environment, so all my work stuff should be good. I know the sexy specs will be, just not sure about ear plugs - they have all that stuff there. Thursday at 5 sounds like a plan - I'll PM you later, we'll figure it out.

Yeah, I work in a high noise/eye protection environment, so all my work stuff should be good. I know the sexy specs will be, just not sure about ear plugs - they have all that stuff there. Thursday at 5 sounds like a plan - I'll PM you later, we'll figure it out.

AWESOME!!!! :D:killerkenny:

idk if i could get by with just ear plugs. Its super loud in there, but I have somewhat sensitive ears.

idk if i could get by with just ear plugs. Its super loud in there, but I have somewhat sensitive ears.

The plugs I use are expanding foam - once they're in, they block just about all loud sound. We use them on locomotives and they block the noise pretty well...

The plugs I use are expanding foam - once they're in, they block just about all loud sound. We use them on locomotives and they block the noise pretty well...

I use those under my Peltor "muffs ". If your neighbors are shooting > .45, you'll be glad.

Powder Room is the best range for the money close to Columbus. I don't really like shooting there unless I'm in and out of there quick to get a pistol on some paper. I see lots of people handling guns in there that make me rather uncomfortable.

They'll look at your glasses and ears to make sure you have them, if not it's a $1 rental. You need to buy paper there too to shoot at, it's not included in the range fee. Different prices for different sheets. I would just go buy a stack at Vance.

Also, I believe it's 10 dollars per half hour or hour, can't remember. If you take someone with you then you can split the cost of a booth.

That being said, this is the first place I shot at and purchased my first gun from. They were helpful, nice and informative while I was in there and I have no complaints with the staff. They've always been friendly to me and prompt with service.

Edited by Radio Flyer

New Albany sucks, Blackwing and Ohiovalley outdoors are excellent IMHO if you like ranges or your only choice.

What about New Albany sucks? I've seen on here that they've had some douchers talk down to the ladies... not my experience or my wife's though. I shoot there several times in a month (3 since Friday). As a member, I can go in on a lunch break, give them my card, shoot 150 rounds and be back to my office in 45 minutes. Their prices used to be nuts, but they're closer to the norm now. Range ammo $$ isn't horrible, but I still bring my own. Would I rather shoot in someone's backyard? Of course, but this is what I have. Opinions are framed by experience, but there are definitely more employees there with knowledge and personality, than not. Like with any place, you'll have the occasional jackwagon.

This. Double up and thank us later. Wally has the cheap winchester muffs for like 5 bucks. I use molded plugs plus eletronic howard leight when I shoot indoors.

Sounds like a plan - I'll probably just rent this time, and buy targets there like a sucker. Too busy this week to make three stops...