Need advice on getting bike #2.

JackFlash

Oh yes......2 or more is always a wise and fun option. You do not have to break the bank either, so many lightly used bikes out there it is crazy!

No lie!  Craigslist is blowing up with great bikes.  IP also has quite a few used bikes and dealers are getting more aggressive with pricing now that the season is waning, and 2014 models are coming out soon.

I'm in a similar hunt as the OP, but my 29" inseam is proving to be a big factor.  Last night I sat on a BMW F650GS, BMW F700GS, Yamaha FZ6, Honda CB500X, Gladius, Suzuki V-Strom 650, VFR and a few others I can't remember.  I badly wanted to love the BMWs but they just felt too ungainly and it would cost a mint to lower 'em.  I found the V-Strom 650 to be visually kind of imposing but oddly easier to muscle around and affordable to lower about an inch to get my feet down (I know some of you think that's not necessary but it really does make a huge confidence difference for me).  The FZ6 fit like a glove but I doubt I could make it comfortable enough for my passenger on longer trips. I'd love to get ABS on my next bike too, which the FZ6 doesn't have.

^^^thoughts on the VFR? :D

Looked impressive, very capable, and I know it has a loyal following.  But it felt bigger/heavier than I want, and too much forward lean in the seat.  Looks and feels (to me) like a big sport bike.

and that's what I love about it, though I must say the Helibars make a world of difference. Add in having the seat custom shaped and it took care of both of those issues

That's fair and I'm positive I personally will have to customize any bike for my particulars.

now all this talk is making me re-think actually wanting to get rid of it :lol:

Yea, and me about getting rid of my venerable VStar with pullback risers, nearly buffet-less windscreen, highway bars, mustang seat and full soft luggage set! Maybe I should just build another garage :-)

Yep.  It's tough to let 'em go.  I'm probably going to get a CB1100 this spring but also most likely hanging onto the VFR.  It'll be my "guest bike" and probably the shipper bike for riding out west.

• 8 months later...

KBB shows a suggested retail of $5645 on a bike in excellent condition.

NADA shows a low retail of $5894.

This bike has less than 1200 miles on it, per year of age.

2009 FZ1...full fairing, tall tinted windscreen...6800 miles...Sargent seat...Pazzo levers...$5000 OBO.

Comments?

Edited by JackFlash

FZ1 is a hell of a step up in power from the gs500. I didn't

follow this thread all the way through, but does what boxes

does the FZ1 check for you that a Weestrom doesn't? Other

than face - melting acceleration.

This thread does have a little age on it, but this was

a good subject to pick it back up with.

As for a V-Strom.....I can't get me bloody feet on the

ground in a manner that will let me stop safely or back

up the bike while sitting on it.

The FZ1?  Well, it's just a grown up FZ6, isn't it?  It sits

like my GS.  It's an upgrade that I can build on.  I may

never need a bike with more capabilities.  Those are my

thoughts.  Tell me if I'm off in left field.  I'm still learning

about bikes.

As for a V-Strom.....I can't get me bloody feet on the ground in a manner that will let me stop safely or back up the bike while sitting on it.

What's your inseam length?  Mine's 29" and I initially felt very much the same way.  I ended up taking out the rubber seat bumpers and bought riding boots with thick soles, and even bought lowering links with the intention of dropping the bike 3/4" and installing an even lower seat.  But, as I became comfortable with the bike over a couple hundred miles (especially after 1000 and a long weekend and an advanced rider course), I discovered I didn't need the links at all and am delighted with it at stock height (minus the seat bumpers).  I only press because the DL650 is quite easily the best bike I've owned out of the 5 I've stabled.  It tackles road conditions in ways only a Tenere or BMW 1200GS can beat, has a buttery-smooth and impressively strong engine, works great 2-up, was superb over a 1000-mile weekend, can easily carry a week's worth of camping gear, is agile and zippy in the city and can keep up with riders on bikes you never would have guessed.

That's not to say the FZ6, FZ1, Versys and dozens of others aren't incredible bikes too - they are.  But you might be really surprised how controllable the Strom is (even if you lower it an inch).

Edited by smccrory

What's your inseam length?  Mine's 29"...

Mine is also 29".  I know the V-Strom is a good bike.

Everybody that has one seems to love it. 

Here's a comment that the following link begins with.

>>  The thing about so-called “Adventure” bikes, is that

they don’t tend to actually be ready for adventure out of

the box. Getting them there typically takes thousands

of dollars in add-on protection and performance parts.

http://rideapart.com/2013/03/how-to-prepare-your-bike-for-adventure-part-1/

I didn't see a link to Part 2, on that page, so here it is:

http://rideapart.com/2013/11/how-to-upgrade-a-suzuki-v-strom-650/

My first interest is road riding.  I may dabble in adventure riding

at a later time, in which case I would like a 2nd motorcycle.

As for my post above, #125, I may need to begin a new thread

to get comments.

That Ride Apart article is talking about Alaska/Labrador/Africa/Long-Way-Down kind of riding and is absolutely wrong when it comes to mostly-street-with-a-shaker-of-dirt riding that 90% of the rest of us use them for. Anyway, you're more into the dedicated street bikes, which is cool. Too bad though, I think your writing off a class of motorcycles based on magazine punditry.

Anyway, you asked...

2009 FZ1...full fairing, tall tinted windscreen...6800 miles...Sargent seat...Pazzo levers...$5000 OBO.

Comments?

That Ride Apart article is talking about Alaska/Labrador/Africa/Long-Way-Down kind of riding and is absolutely wrong when it comes to mostly-street-with-a-shaker-of-dirt riding that 90% of the rest of us use them for. Anyway, you're more into the dedicated street bikes, which is cool. Too bad though, I think your writing off a class of motorcycles based on magazine punditry.

Anyway, you asked...

Comments?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having more than one motorcycle.  :D

I sent the FZ1 question to it's own thread.  It was buried, in this one.

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/105106-is-this-a-good-deal/

Edited by JackFlash

Mine is also 29".  I know the V-Strom is a good bike.

Everybody that has one seems to love it. 

Here's a comment that the following link begins with.

>>  The thing about so-called “Adventure” bikes, is that

they don’t tend to actually be ready for adventure out of

the box. Getting them there typically takes thousands

of dollars in add-on protection and performance parts.

http://rideapart.com/2013/03/how-to-prepare-your-bike-for-adventure-part-1/

I didn't see a link to Part 2, on that page, so here it is:

http://rideapart.com/2013/11/how-to-upgrade-a-suzuki-v-strom-650/

My first interest is road riding.  I may dabble in adventure riding

at a later time, in which case I would like a 2nd motorcycle.

As for my post above, #125, I may need to begin a new thread

to get comments.

The adventure is whatever you make it, and I hit gravel and the occasional hard pack on the Strom quite often........but it is a "road bike first and foremost", Ihave the WR250R for the "off road" stuff. And yeah the FZ1 is way too much bike for you, sorry Jack just being honest. Why you have not gone out and bought an FZ6 yet is beyond me, and sure more than a few here would agree with me on that. ;)

Disagree. You already know how to ride, it's not your first bike, it's not too much bike.. Take it easy and learn the bike and have fun

Well on that thought.....it would probably scare him shit-less at times, so it might be perfect for him to get comfy on a bad ass machine. Of course coming off of what he currently has, an FZ6 would also make him go.........daaaaaammmmmnnnn!!!!

Edited by Pokey

Comments?

Do it.

Disagree. You already know how to ride, it's not your first bike, it's not too much bike.. Take it easy and learn the bike and have fun

This. It is a much fatter, heavier bike than the FZ6 and it will cause your eyes to suck back in your head with a generous twist of the go switch, but if you are a grown up with a healthy fear of death and a bit of self control, it's a great, comfortable big bore. That said, I wouldn't buy it if I were looking for a touring bike. It's very challenging (expensive) to hang side bags on.

Good thread.  FWIW, JackFlash, my situation is somewhat similar to yours... I learned on a Buell Blast and then moved up to a YZF-600.

The Buell blast was a great bike on which to learn.  Easy to handle, enough torque to get me around, etc.  It was fine on the highway, although it didn't have great acceleration once there.  It topped out at about 90-ish since I'm a pretty big guy, although I'm sure I probably got it to 95 on a windy day moving downhill.  It felt like a scooter in all the good ways.  It was easy to hop on and go and not have to worry about much.  

The YZF-600 I had next was a bit of a different story.  And I'm SUPER glad I did't have it as a first bike.  The amount of "go" in the YZF-600 was a world apart from the Blast.  I got 'er up over 120 WITH EASE, and chickened out about going faster after that.  Here's how I noticed some other differences, and maybe with some extrapolation, you can apply it to what happens in your rides.

Acceleration.  The Blast would accelerate like a motorcycle, since like I said, it had enough power to get me around.  I would describe it as smooth, firm, and powerful.  It didn't hesitate, but it wasn't going to win me any races, know what I mean?  Matter of fact, it was smooth & firm enough not to make me WANT to enter any races, since I knew I wouldn't be winning any :)

If I was trying to accelerate quickly on the YZF-600, everything was different.  Instead of smooth and firm, that thing put me back in my seat and made me HOLD ON. Now, I'm not going to say it "ran like a raped ape" since that would be silly in comparison to the much faster bikes ridden by people here, but when I twisted the throttle, it could/would jump forward with some real purpose. 

Passing on the highway, maybe going 60 mph and needing to get to 70mph?  Not gonna happen on the blast.  Unless you have about 20-30 seconds to wait to crawl up to 70. And then you're fine, it just takes a hot minute to gain that extra 10 mph when you're already "at speed."

On the YZF-600?  Ha. No need to downshift if you don't want to.  Twist & go.  Very meaningful acceleration even if you're just cruising in high gear.  If you DO downshift, and then gun it (oh yeah, blipping the throttle is a thing on anything approaching a real sportbike, we'll get there later) then you're off & GONE.  Downright aggressive acceleration.

Keep in mind that this was a YZF-600, which is a great sport-touring bike.  Mine was a 2004.  I liked to read that it made more torque and less HP than an R6, but it was also heavier & more comfortable.  Anything current & not ten years old...  and a sport/supersport bike... demands respect.

Right, so like I mentioned earlier, blipping the throttle.  If you're on a smaller bike, you may not have had to do that, or as much, but on a bike that happily revs to 13,000 rpm, then sooner or later you'll find yourself cruising in the highway and want to downshift so you can scoot out in front of someone, or scoot out of someone's way, or just plain have some fun.  That can be downright dangerous if you're not ready & prepared or you do it wrong.  

The same can be said for braking quickly.  I was on the highway once and someone cut me off.  Changed lanes right in front of me.  Well, I must have stomped on my rear brake, because all i remember is the back end of my bike fishtailing (wildly) 4-6 times.  It didn't get quite sideways, but it was significant and pronounced.  It was all reflexes, so I was not consciously controlling when I came OFF that brake, either... I got extremely lucky I didn't highside (on the highway, at probably 60mph).    My point is just that the brakes on larger bikes have enough power to cause trouble.

Heaven forbid you get talked into a liter bike by one of these guys and stomp on a brake.  Heaven forbid it be the FRONT brake and you grab instead of gently squeeze.

Now, some of this is just motorcycle riding 101, but some of it is just intended to point out the differences between smaller bikes, sportbikes, and 1,000cc beasts that really are worlds apart from "starter bikes."  They have engines and brakes that are not forgiving to many mistakes and will cause serious repercussions if not handled perfectly or at least competently.  

Obviously, I have a healthy respect for motorcycles, eh?  What you will decide is obviously up to you, and you'll hear 20 different things from asking 15 different members here, but just remember that while being an adult & exercising caution & respect is fine, I also know myself enough to know that there's times when I WILL throw caution to the wind, or forget myself, or talk myself into having a little bit of fun.

p.s  Before I bought each motorcycle I've had, I made myself watch YouTube videos of motorcycle crashes just to have something to think about when I ride to discourage doing StupidShit.  Anyone else do that?  The ones that come to mind when people try and talk you into a liter bike are all the ones where the bike just jumps away from the rider, and it's completely out of their control, because it has way more power/torque than they were expecting.  Oh, and the one where a supersport is at the track and the rider grabs the front brake, and literally just goes up & over the handlebars.  Some things just stick with ya, know what I mean?