Beginner at track days, advice needed

JStump

You could also go get your race license right off the bat. Yea we took a newer street rider strait to a race in Atlanta. He went thru race school first time EVER on track. It was crazy lol.

On a side note he did improve leaps and bounds faster than most people.

AS for the OP just get some good tires and save up some cash for the summer. Go to a couple different tracks and ride! Have fun and welcome to the best addiction ever!

I have PR2's on it right now with about 1000 miles on them, but, the back has a plug in it. It has never lost a pound of pressure since I put the plug in 700 miles ago but would they make me get a new tire/should I get a new tire for the track? I dont imagine being a beginner I will be putting much more stress on the tire than I do on the street but, I may just be leaning a bit more, so is it a big deal?

for first time track days, i would not get an EZ-up. you're just dipping your toes and don't want to dump a ton of money into it so i would advise waiting a couple trackdays before you really start pouring money into with EZups, gennys, warmers, etc.

There will be plenty of people from this board going to any of the trackdays you have planned to pit with and save on those costs.

I was talking to a friend yesterday about doing some novice track days next season, a good thought was told , any track days that actually rent you a motorcycle for your novice track day ? any info on prices or which track ?

Thanks

Calabogie is the only track I'm aware of with bikes for rent. It makes things even MORE expensive for no real reason...

You're better off renting an XR100 with the OMRL as a way to get your feet wet for low dollars.

Learn all the basics at 45 mph instead of 130mph. It makes so much sense, it's almost silly.

I dont imagine being a beginner I will be putting much more stress on the tire than I do on the street but, I may just be leaning a bit more, so is it a big deal?

You might be surprised how much harder you are on your tires even in novice. PR2 are fine on the track for novice but I would listen to the other comments about the plug. A tire is much cheaper than the plastics you just painted.

I was talking to a friend yesterday about doing some novice track days next season, a good thought was told , any track days that actually rent you a motorcycle for your novice track day ? any info on prices or which track ?

Thanks

I don't know of any track day orgs are going to rent you a bike. However, track days are not races and you don't need a super bike to enjoy the track.

Especially in Novice, the speeds are more equivalent to a spirited road ride and as such, just about any modern road bike is appropriate for a track day. Goldwing would work and I followed a guy on a Victory Hammer one weekend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=367VyUFdBdI (i was at this event, not taking the video)

Bike rental means you would have to run with a more formal school: Penguin Racing, California Superbike School, Yamaha Racing, Schwantz,...

I just did my first track day on my new bike and first one in about 2 or 3 years today. I forgot how much fun it was. Be prepared to get addicted. Also know when to stop pushing it. My first track day I laid down my 07 cbr 1krr because I thought I could give it a little more doing "just one more lap". The problem is I'm the type of guy to push the line but on a bike you don't know where that line is until you go over it.

I just did my first track day on my new bike and first one in about 2 or 3 years today. I forgot how much fun it was. Be prepared to get addicted. Also know when to stop pushing it. My first track day I laid down my 07 cbr 1krr because I thought I could give it a little more doing "just one more lap". The problem is I'm the type of guy to push the line but on a bike you don't know where that line is until you go over it.

Haha, this 100x. I had almost the same experience on my first track day except it was a '03 cbr600rr. Not a single scratch or bruise on me either. This year I couldn't go often due to funds but I still followed every trackday meetup thread waiting for that time I could go.

You are right, it isn't cheap but I think its worth it. Motoseries at Nelson's is one of the cheaper track days and its still $150 plus ~$30 in pump gas, gas to get there and back, food and drink, possibly broken parts etc. In terms of gear, gauntlet gloves, over the ankle boots, 1 piece suit or a 2 piece that zips, a newish in tact helmet and tape for your lights. I know you don't want to hear this, but the plug won't work on the track. Most people don't like them on the street with a bike and I doubt it would pass inspection if it was seen.

Fist make sure you have the proper gear.

quality helmet, 1 or 2 piece leathers, gauntlet gloves, boots, & back protector.

The 2 closest tracts to me are Putnam Park IN and Mid-Ohio.

I highly recommend Putnam park for your first track day.

mainly because it is easy to learn, and one of the safest tracks in the area.

Mid-Ohio is one of the best facilities & most fun tracks on this side of the country, but don't ride there when it is wet.

No matter what: on your first visit, go on a weekend that has a Novice Training class, and attend it. I don't care how fast or talented you are, you need to learn track rules, regulations, flags, and safety tips. Otherwise, you WILL endanger yourself and others.

You can always be bumped to the next class after your first few classes and sessions.

Do not go alone. There are plenty of things to keep track of. Gas, tire pressure, gear, hydration, food, the track schedule, etc. It helps you stay focused if you have someone helping you keep track of the necessities. Or at least come with someone familiar with the do's and do nots at the track. It is also good to have someone there that knows you if you have a bad day.

Bring your bike in another vehicle. First, you will be too tired after your first track day to safely ride home. Especially on a hot day. Second, if something breaks or you drop it, you may not have a ride home. Third, you will run through more than 1 tank full during a track day (bring a full gas can too). etc.

Regarding your bike. Once you choose an organization and event to participate in, read their requirements. Do not just prep your bike for the Novice class. If you feel you are an accomplished rider, you can't get bumped to the next class if your bike will not pass the Teck inspection for that class. Example, many require no antifreeze, and the oil filter and plug to be safety wired. Bring something to hold your bike up. Either a wheel chalk, or a stand. Most track organizations will not allow a kick stand. Or if they do, will require that you strap it up. Lastly, tires. A quality Sport tire is all you need. DO NOT run a sport touring or harder tire. You can worry about track tires and tire warmers as you progress. But they are absolutely not necessary. I have run respectable times in Advanced on Q2s. And have been one of the faster Intermediate riders on Pirelli Corsas, and Michelin Pilot Powers. The great thing about modern sport tires are, they warm up fast, do not require warmers, and have almost as much grip as Dot race tires in perfect conditions, and have more traction then Dot race tires in less than perfect conditions. They last longer, and are safer to ride on the street after.

Have fun!!!

I don't know of any track day orgs are going to rent you a bike. However, track days are not races and you don't need a super bike to enjoy the track.

Especially in Novice, the speeds are more equivalent to a spirited road ride and as such, just about any modern road bike is appropriate for a track day. Goldwing would work and I followed a guy on a Victory Hammer one weekend.

(i was at this event, not taking the video)

Bike rental means you would have to run with a more formal school: Penguin Racing, California Superbike School, Yamaha Racing, Schwantz,...

I was there that day and remember it well.

By the end of the day, the guy on that Hammer was passing some people on sport bikes. It was awesome to see! :bow:

He is correct!

Most of my track days were run on a Sport Touring bike (Ducati 907ie), and a Yamaha FZ1. I can't tell you how much fun it was to talk trash after passing a sport bike on one of those. LOL

Reading comprehension>you

I was using that to express the fact that i am not fast and i don't have an ego!

So, fuck off! Thanks!

Bill, Bill... Come on, man. No need to get so upset and start the F-bombs.

I think what happens is that sometimes, someone states something on the board and then the responses look as if you are being targeted.

Here's the thing - you can easily be an exception. An exception is fine. Look at Brandon's example. I've seen the exact same thing. Hell, Ryan Kerr jumped from MX and Supermoto to road race and didn't do anything. He did rather well... It's possible, been done and is something that has me in awe a lot of times.

However, it is an exception more than a rule.

Look at it this way - I am going to show my age on this, but when I started, we didn't have track days. Nothing. Brandon's example is exactly how I started. I bought an F2 and headed west to Putnam in 93 and did the WERA school and the mock race on Saturday and my first race on Sunday. Was gridded on the 40th cone row. Almost to the exit of 10!

But, I was thrown to the wolves and just jumped right in. Bought a 600 vs a 400 or Hawk and stuck with it.

Today, the sport is SOOOOO much more accessible. WAY easier to get involved and WAY easier to buy something that is so much a better machine to track ride than a CBR 600 F2 was... I look back and wonder if guys like Reuben, Rentzel, etc would have had track days, schools like Swantz has, etc. as to how they'd be at their peak? They and myself had nothing. We did all of this on our own.

I never did anything, but would NEVER suggest anyone start doing track days anywhere beyond Novice. It's just the norm and what is the most common in terms of people's abilities.

18s at Putnam are perfect for Advanced. You've come along nicely and should be proud. What I think I was trying to say and possibly the others is that suggesting to do anything like that to the AVERAGE track day rider is something similar to a poor suggestion. I think the idea should be to say "I did this, but would suggest this instead." Or, church it up a bit and say you would have maybe done it differently or whatever.

The internet is a great tool, but also something that can take advantage of not so aware or newbie riders. They read and believe...

I think you were slammed indirectly. My ego comment is that we talk ego when people sign up for groups. Trust me, I have seen more than my share of ego driven people riding in groups they should never attend. It's an ego driven sport also. We all have big egos. Otherwise, we'd be playing golf.;)

I highly recommend Putnam park for your first track day.

mainly because it is easy to learn, and one of the safest tracks in the area.

Mid-Ohio is one of the best facilities & most fun tracks on this side of the country, but don't ride there when it is wet.

the final turn onto Putnam's front straight is one of the most dangerous turns I've ever encountered on any track.

Every track has areas that could be better, but this one is pretty glaring... If you lowside in that turn anywhere past the apex, you're going to hit a concrete wall. If you highside in that turn, you better hope you clear the wall, or you're probably going to hit it in spectacular fashion.

I'm not saying it's a bad track or a bad place for a first day, but that corner is one to be VERY aware of. There is no reason to push it there, and every reason to back off a bit.

Even in a race, where drive down the front straight is essential, I would play it very very conservatively there, and only really risk it the last couple laps.