the LEOs just got alot faster, and more versatile

Hoblick

Where did they roll these out? The color reminds me of France or Italy and the bike makes me lean more towards Italy. I don't know any US police that use anything but Harley and Victory bikes

no idea.. i pulled the pic from the ducati forum

Where did they roll these out? The color reminds me of France or Italy and the bike makes me lean more towards Italy. I don't know any US police that use anything but Harley and Victory bikes

That's usually a statutory policy in most states. A few highway patrol departments can get BMW and Honda models, but almost without failure, municipalities must buy American. Motor trend did a comparison of the various police models a few months back, and the department they talked to had to get special permission to even consider the Chevy Caprice, because it's built by Holden, then shipped and badged as a Chevy.

Unreal.

That's usually a statutory policy in most states. A few highway patrol departments can get BMW and Honda models, but almost without failure, municipalities must buy American. Motor trend did a comparison of the various police models a few months back, and the department they talked to had to get special permission to even consider the Chevy Caprice, because it's built by Holden, then shipped and badged as a Chevy.

Unreal.

http://www.policemotorunits.com/id253.html

Iirc, some PD's are opting for BMW's instead of Harley's or Victories.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120723/NEWS06/207230344/Michigan-State-Police-fleet-is-no-longer-all-American-as-BMWs-move-in-on-Harleys

http://www.myreporter.com/?p=7156

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/05/20/honolulu-police-department-purchases-additional-bmw-authority-motorcycles/

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8063973/

It's more of a DARE styled piece for exposure. That's about the dumbest choice for a police bike if used solely for patrol.

I would be willing to bet it was a recovered unit and they converted it to a promotional piece. They even elude to it...

Unreal.

"In the United States, BMW police motors have been utilized by more than 450 law enforcement agencies, including the three largest fleets operated by the California Highway Patrol, Los Angeles Police Department and Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department."

It's becoming a thing of the past with the HDs being used. It actually has been something being phased out for quite some time now...

It's more of a DARE styled piece for exposure. That's about the dumbest choice for a police bike if used solely for patrol.

I would be willing to bet it was a recovered unit and they converted it to a promotional piece. They even elude to it...

I've seen the guy out pulling people over on it... I work in Obetz

I agree that it's more of a "PR" move than anything else, and if it's a seized vehicle, all the better.

It would shock me if they actually went out and bought it though.

This is the article I mentioned in my previous post: http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2010/112_1003_cop_car_wars_heat_up/viewall.html

The quote I'm remembering isn't in the online version. Must have been in one of the side-bar pieces with a photo. I'll keep looking.

Edited by redkow97

Given the lack of real gear that MC cops wear, I wouldn't think high speed pursuit is even remotely safe.

True, true. My wife's uncle is a Dayton bike cop and he had to buy his own riding gear ( with exception of a dept issued helmet ), which I found ridiculous that they do not supply the proper safety gear.....but we are talking about big, dressed, Harleys so the speeds aren't too much of a concern I guess ;):D

I'd agree more with police sportbike units moreso than cruiser units, simply for the superior handling, power, and braking aspects. If the point is to allow police to pursue/maneuver where the 4 wheeled vehicles can't, why not give them a sportier platform to get the job done - afterall, a fully outfitted sportbike/sporttourer would be more cost efficient than a Harley of all things.......seems some cities/counties get that, but Dayton isn't one of them. Busa's and 14's would make killer OSP vehicles, but I'm assuming inclimate weather would put a damper on everyday use - as well as extensive training to ride them ( as with any motorcycle cops ) so it's probably a contigency within the planning of how often they can be used that decides if it's a viable option or not?

Just makes more sense to spend half as much on a liter bike loaded with badges/strobes/radar, imo; especially when money will be spent on vehicle specific training anyway:dunno:

I was thinking about this thread earlier, and I may email an Ohio Congressman (State House, not Federal) after the election and offer to draft an amendment to the ORC that would allow for (not provide) motorcycle officers to wear proper safety gear.

At the same time, I would approach a manufacturer like Pilot Leathers (possibly a group of vendors) and see if they'd be interested in designing a 2-piece suit that complies with the amended uniform requirements in my proposed legislation.

I understand the law, and I understand motorcycle gear. I'm not an LEO, but I think I could talk to a couple motorcycle cops and accommodate 99% of their needs while still substantially improving their level of protection on a bike.

In my mind, protection is piece is already solved by the leather manufacturers, but the police uses and visibility concerns would need to be adequately addressed.

It could be a huge (no-cost) PR win for some Ohio Politician. Pro-police, and wouldn't cost taxpayers anything unless municipalities wanted to spring for the gear, or officers bought their own. That provides a unique opportunity for a vendor to jump in and make a heroic PR move at the same time.

"police" compliant leathers available to LEO's for $200 a pop with a minimum order quantity. (or something similar).

I really think it could be win/win, but the first step is amending the uniform guidelines to even ALLOW for the market to exist.

I was thinking about this thread earlier, and I may email an Ohio Congressman (State House, not Federal) after the election and offer to draft an amendment to the ORC that would allow for (not provide) motorcycle officers to wear proper safety gear.

At the same time, I would approach a manufacturer like Pilot Leathers (possibly a group of vendors) and see if they'd be interested in designing a 2-piece suit that complies with the amended uniform requirements in my proposed legislation.

I understand the law, and I understand motorcycle gear. I'm not an LEO, but I think I could talk to a couple motorcycle cops and accommodate 99% of their needs while still substantially improving their level of protection on a bike.

In my mind, protection is piece is already solved by the leather manufacturers, but the police uses and visibility concerns would need to be adequately addressed.

It could be a huge (no-cost) PR win for some Ohio Politician. Pro-police, and wouldn't cost taxpayers anything unless municipalities wanted to spring for the gear, or officers bought their own. That provides a unique opportunity for a vendor to jump in and make a heroic PR move at the same time.

"police" compliant leathers available to LEO's for $200 a pop with a minimum order quantity. (or something similar).

I really think it could be win/win, but the first step is amending the uniform guidelines to even ALLOW for the market to exist.

What politician would ever pass that up? Awesome idea.

What politician would ever pass that up? Awesome idea.

Yeah, I just spent the last hour or so looking into who to contact and making a to-do list for the whole deal.

As an added bonus, my State Representative is a local attorney who has worked in the office I'll be applying to in May.

I was totally into this just as a safety initiative, but it could end up being a seriously impressive resume builder, and might lead to a hell of a reference from a State Representative in the same party as my future boss...

I'll start a thread devoted to the project when it becomes a reality. I want to make sure nothing gets shaken up in tomorrow's election before contacting anyone.

True, true. My wife's uncle is a Dayton bike cop and he had to buy his own riding gear ( with exception of a dept issued helmet ), which I found ridiculous that they do not supply the proper safety gear.....but we are talking about big, dressed, Harleys so the speeds aren't too much of a concern I guess ;):D

I'd agree more with police sportbike units moreso than cruiser units, simply for the superior handling, power, and braking aspects. If the point is to allow police to pursue/maneuver where the 4 wheeled vehicles can't, why not give them a sportier platform to get the job done - afterall, a fully outfitted sportbike/sporttourer would be more cost efficient than a Harley of all things.......seems some cities/counties get that, but Dayton isn't one of them. Busa's and 14's would make killer OSP vehicles, but I'm assuming inclimate weather would put a damper on everyday use - as well as extensive training to ride them ( as with any motorcycle cops ) so it's probably a contigency within the planning of how often they can be used that decides if it's a viable option or not?

Just makes more sense to spend half as much on a liter bike loaded with badges/strobes/radar, imo; especially when money will be spent on vehicle specific training anyway:dunno:

All very true but remember the Trooper and cop who got in trouble for 150+ mph a couple years back. I doubt any agency really wants the liability of a 185 mph capable vehicle.

All very true but remember the Trooper and cop who got in trouble for 150+ mph a couple years back. I doubt any agency really wants the liability of a 185 mph capable vehicle.

Not sure about that, not when the choppa can break 200mph in midair! That seems a larger liability doesn't it? Especially considering the cost differential of the vehicles/licensing/training - although there's a lot more to hit on the ground than in the air, so I'm willing to concede your point here:D