New bushy tail killer!

shadyone

Very nice.....not too familiar with that model, but Remington is know for legendary quality rifles. If that is anything as good as the Ruger 10/22, then it looks like a winner. I have an old Remington Targetmaster that is at least 75 years old, was my Grandpa's rifle that he gave to me when I turned 10. I have a Marlin Model 25 22 WHR that is one of my favorite and most accurate guns. And yes hunting tree rats is a good time, real good eatin too. :)

Nice I have a standard barrel model. Do yourself a favor and pull the two guide rods out and polish them, then when you put them back in make sure not to over tighten the bolts holding them in place. I also stoned my trigger and free floated the barrel. Mine is a tack driver for a mostly factory gun. Rimfirecentral.com has a good section on the 597. They are a very under rated gun for sure will out shoot a 10/22 out of the box. Oh I also bedded the stock with tips from rimfire.

Here is mine:

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=16134

Edited by speedytriple

I got mine at dicks on black friday a few years ago for $159 with the junk factory scope. I replaced the factory scope with a nikon pro staff, much better. Not as much after market as the 10/22 but a fair amount of stocks, barrels, triggers, magazines for it. They also make a 597 in .22whr.

I was originally looking at a Savage 17HMR bolt action with accutrigger. Then decided that since I only hunt squirrel and maybe an occasional rabbit that I don't need 3000 ft per second. I then started looking at tactical 22 like the Mossberg 715T flat top. And S&W 15-22. But didn't like the price in the S&W and the mossberg felt plasticy and has fake Ar things that aren't Functional. I found this one and to get into a similar 10/22 without the betray strap would be over $300 the. Add scope. Where this one is a package deal that I an upgrade over time.

Mainly bought it for my squirrel trip on Black Friday.

I have a savage .17hmr also with the heavy barrel and accu trigger that's a different animal for sure. And i'm with you on the $500 plastic ar type rifles. If I want to shoot .22 out of a AR i will buy a kit for my 5.56 rifle. I think you will be happy with the 597.

Check here for more 597 info.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

Edited by speedytriple

Actually the S&W was really nice but out of my budget. Plus for about a hundred more I could get a real AR. In due time.

Any other opinions would be nice. I'm thinking of getting a tactical stock for the off season and a reddot/reflex sight.

I have a savage .17hmr also with the heavy barrel and accu trigger that's a different animal for sure. And i'm with you on the $500 plastic ar type rifles. If I want to shoot .22 out of a AR i will buy a kit for my 5.56 rifle. I think you will be happy with the 597.

Check here for more 597 info.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

I've been a member there for over a year. Scowered it before making the final choice and learned a lot about the 597 since.

• 1 year later...