I'm not a racist, just a rider.

Casper

In truth, I think it's a matter of perspective--

It's typically viewed as acceptable when minority groups band together or exhibit ethnic pride because, as minorities, many of them have experienced one sort of hardship or another as a direct result of being part of that minority. Slavery, Jim Crow, Japanese Internship, etc, are all things that have "earned" minority groups the right to "stand up" for themselves a bit.

Let's be honest here-- With the exception of Irish-Americans and other down-trodden European immigrants in the earlier part of the 20th century, white Americans in general have never been an oppressed group in this country, at least not as a result of their race. And people rarely make a stink about various Irish Pride (and other nationality-oriented) groups and events, because I think most of us (even black guys like me) recognize their right to such things.

Speaking as a black man, what makes people edgy about "White Pride" is often the tone in which it is voiced. I think some people tend to see the growing equality of minorities in this country as a kind of zero-sum game: If those people are getting something, then I must be losing something. This leads to a rather resentful, reactionary, and sometimes belligerent tone that I've personally found from some people who claim to be simply embracing "white pride". Furthermore, I think advancing it as White rather than, say, Irish or Greek or German, is also part of what turns people off. Putting the focus on the skin-color rather than on the country of origin tends to rub people the wrong way.

I think that we, as black Americans, are in kind of an odd situation on this front. Record-keeping during slavery was pretty poor-- it's exceedingly rare for a black American to be able to find what region or country his family was brought from. In a way, "black American" is kind of a nationality of its own in that respect- I don't know what country my grandfather's great-grandfather was from. But I know I'm an American, born and bred. And this fact is uniquely true for any black person whose family has been here since then.

Obviously, I'm not trying to start a flame-war on a board to which I'm totally new, but this was the first topic that popped up when I signed in, so I thought I'd at least try to add to the debate.

Incidentally, because I happen to be half-white and shave my head regularly, I get mistaken for a white skinhead all the time. With naturally hilarious results. :cool:

EDIT: Just saw the post above mine and realized that someone had bumped this shit from two years ago. Ugh. Sorry for adding fuel to a burning turd. Oh well.

Good post.....although a hint of advice around here....don't waste your time with reasoning.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that we, as black Americans, are in kind of an odd situation on this front. Record-keeping during slavery was pretty poor-- it's exceedingly rare for a black American to be able to find what region or country his family was brought from. In a way, "black American" is kind of a nationality of its own in that respect- I don't know what country my grandfather's great-grandfather was from. But I know I'm an American, born and bred. And this fact is uniquely true for any black person whose family has been here since then.

Good post, sir.

On another note... black or not, I'm just as Amurricuhn as any melanin-challenged citizen, if not moreso. I can show you documents of where my folks in Ohio go back 10 generations...BORN HERE---in Ohio. not overseas, or dumped off a boat either onto Ellis Island or onto an auction block in South Carolina .. but RAHT HERE. As such, if you ask me (or my kids) what we are, we are just plain black. And American, and Ohioan. "African-American" just doesn't seem to fit us... I don't know nobody from Africa, never been, don't want to go, haven't had a relative from there in at least 250 years.

And to answer a previous poster..."colored" ehhh... no, please. It implies that white is not a color. LOL

Oh and for the record...I have no idea what the hell I am.

You're dreeeeeemy, that's what!!:D

I wear a size 14

Say whu??? :eek: *no further comment*

Supposedly my last name has some reference to Scotland. :dunno:

So is we cuzzins? My dad's grandpa was directly from Scotland. He was also a blue-eyed mack-a-docious...

So what have we learned class?

Post from 2 years ago still have meaning today.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Most people believe in some kind of movement (bowel is my personal favorite).

Casper was Satan, but is now a friendly cracker (insert joke here).

Newbs can disappoint, and surprise (good job Aerik).

We all bleed red (though I'm skeptical of a few I think are from another world).

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and we all need to just ride and enjoy life.

And finally, it's really all about assinity, meaning there's an asshole in every group.

I support everyones freedom of speech. I'd rather you be honest to my face than a hypocrite behind my back. Much love and respect to all.

Edited by Looney

Good post, sir.

On another note... black or not, I'm just as Amurricuhn as any melanin-challenged citizen, if not moreso. I can show you documents of where my folks in Ohio go back 10 generations...BORN HERE---in Ohio. not overseas, or dumped off a boat either onto Ellis Island or onto an auction block in South Carolina .. but RAHT HERE. As such, if you ask me (or my kids) what we are, we are just plain black. And American, and Ohioan. "African-American" just doesn't seem to fit us... I don't know nobody from Africa, never been, don't want to go, haven't had a relative from there in at least 250 years.

And to answer a previous poster..."colored" ehhh... no, please. It implies that white is not a color. LOL

No, that is a good post. We are all Americans. That PC African, European, Latin, Japanese American shit is gay. I could give a shit what color you are if you are American. If you HAVE to include the little continental label with American, then go to hell. The only people that should be able to have a pre label are Native Americans, but lets just call them Indians. Its cooler.

You made a good post, but I just had to point out the mistakes..lol.

I underlined what it was. In the last paragraph you did what you said people didn't like and that is referring to skin color instead of ethnicity. :p;)

I'm all for letting this particular beaten horse stay dead, but I did want to clarify in regards to what you underlined-- what I was trying to say (admittedly not in the clearest phrasing) was that, for black Americans, there isn't really any other way to refer to us (at least when we're talking about ethnic or "group" identity). I'm not African-American- I was born in Ohio. I can't say I'm (insert country)-American, because there aren't good records. When I say black American, most people know exactly what I mean-- my ancestors (at least on my father's side) were slaves, my grandparents (and my father, when he was younger) lived under Jim Crow. When I speak of family history, of my heritage and the experiences that make it what it is, black American is generally the clearest way to describe it. Virtually all black people whose families have been here since slavery fit that same description.

The same description doesn't work the same with the term white American- it could be referring to a direct descendant of the Roanoke colonists or a second-generation German immigrant like my wife, with only 40-ish years of family history in this country. For that reason, and since national origins are typically easier to find and identify for white Americans, that term is simply too broad to be used in the same way as black American. Thus, when it is used, it's generally being used by someone who's speaking from some form of an "us against them" position, rather than as any accurate acknowledgement of a proud heritage, family tradition, or ethnic hardship, which could be applied to any number of European countries and their American descendants individually.

If that makes any sense.:beathorse:

Edited by Aerik
Fixed a typo.