2013 gap trip

Hutch

I vote for the second week in May' date=' then. :)[/quote']

That would probably work for me too.

I would prefer to go before all the kiddies are out of school and the road is (more) clogged with inattentive Mazda drivers.

That would probably work for me too.

I would prefer to go before all the kiddies are out of school and the road is (more) clogged with inattentive Mazda drivers.

Roads are a little less crowded earlier, and its a little cooler. Its damn hot down there in the summer. Fat boys like me sweat ya know.

I'd love to go...I'll have to see how my wife's health is as we get closer to whatever date is picked. The handful of times we've gone down, we've stayed at the Pisgah in which is a few hours away from the dragon but via some incredibly scenic and twisty roads. The Inn is small but nice and they have a fabulous restaurant.

I'd love to go...I'll have to see how my wife's health is as we get closer to whatever date is picked. The handful of times we've gone down, we've stayed at the Pisgah in which is a few hours away from the dragon but via some incredibly scenic and twisty roads. The Inn is small but nice and they have a fabulous restaurant.

The group stays at Fontana Village for this trip

As the plans progress' date=' I'll post up an intended route to ride down. 2 days, no freeway... plenty of OH/KY/TN/NC/GA goodness to be had in this long weekend.[/quote']

A group of Cincinnati folks from the LocalRiders forum always heads down to the BRP MC Campground the first or second week of September. Last year, the route we rode back north was absolutely spectacular! Somewhere between 400-450 miles; a long day ride but well worth the trip.

A quick outline of the route would be:

Starting in Waynesville, NC, take 209/Hot Springs Rd all the way north to Hot Springs, NC, then jog east a bit and pick up 208 which becomes 70/Asheville Hwy. Follow 70 north, which is called the Trail of the Lonesome Pine. There is some dicking around to be done as you pass thru Rogersville, but take 70 all the way to Pennington Gap. Here, you pick up 421 and head west. Take 421 all the way to Hyden, KY, where you pick up Hal Rogers Pkwy and follow that until you get to London, KY. To make it back in time, we slabbed it back from there on I-75, but it wouldn't be difficult to continue the backroad trek all the way north to wherever.

FYI, early fall--after the summer tourist rush is officially over--is THE TIME to hit this area. Great weather and much lower traffic volume.

FYI, early fall--after the summer tourist rush is officially over--is THE TIME to hit this area. Great weather and much lower traffic volume.

I have to disagree. Foggy, often rainy, and the wet leaves are outright dangerous.