Go Bags, what to have in one

JStump

Hopefully the bridge is still good :) Its on the far east side near the water. NW of Detour and SE of Sault St Marie... its like a 20 minute drive from detour.

Raber Bay area? Mom lives on Neebish Island, about 20 miles SE of the Soo. I've been going up there since I was 6. My parents retired up there 16 years ago.

Raber Bay area? Mom lives on Neebish Island, about 20 miles SE of the Soo. I've been going up there since I was 6. My parents retired up there 16 years ago.

Yep, Raber Bay! There's some really good salmon fishing off of detour. What do you do while you're there?

Speedy, I have been trying out different meals like the link you posted. Some of them are pretty tasty and they do a good job of keeping your energy up. They're light weight and a good option for if you have plenty of water available... so i would agree they are decent for a go bag!

Did you find them somewhere locally? Inquiring minds wish to know...

Yep, Raber Bay! There's some really good salmon fishing off of detour. What do you do while you're there?

Awesome! In the summer we do a lot of ship watching, quad riding, hiking and fishing when I'm not working on mom's house. There are a lot of trails on the island plus they have been logging for the past 5 years and made a bunch of new "roads" that we walk. Lot's of wildlife, deer, moose (occasionally), 'yotes, black bear and suppossibly there is a cougar too. In the winter it is riding snowmobiles from morning to night. In the winter there are less than 125 fulltime residents on the island. The island is 5 miles long by 2 miles wide, so we pretty much have the entire place to ourselves. We like to ride down the river on the ice and have lunch at Raber Bay bar, great place to to have a good lunch and a few beers. We also like to ride up to Paradise and the to the Falls, great way to spend the day.

nah, mostly purchase them online. I bought 1 or 2 from cabela's when I was there too.

Awesome! In the summer we do a lot of ship watching, quad riding, hiking and fishing when I'm not working on mom's house. There are a lot of trails on the island plus they have been logging for the past 5 years and made a bunch of new "roads" that we walk. Lot's of wildlife, deer, moose (occasionally), 'yotes, black bear and suppossibly there is a cougar too. In the winter it is riding snowmobiles from morning to night. In the winter there are less than 125 fulltime residents on the island. The island is 5 miles long by 2 miles wide, so we pretty much have the entire place to ourselves. We like to ride down the river on the ice and have lunch at Raber Bay bar, great place to to have a good lunch and a few beers. We also like to ride up to Paradise and the to the Falls, great way to spend the day.

We mostly fish... lol. However, we have gone to oswald's bear ranch and done some hiking near some waterfalls and drove over to pictured rocks as well. We eat at Raber Bay Bar a lot - the cabin is less than a mile from there.

I found some local at Fin Feather Fur, I also found some local at my army navy store. I am about to order some from this place also to try them out they say they are the best price per calorie on the market I have not done enough research to check this out.

http://www.preparewise.com/#back

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone is looking for medium ALICE bags and frames. I just bought a brand new UGGI setup from armygear.net for $44.

can you do a little review when you get a chance? been wanting to build a bag, but since i didn't know what bag to get, i have languished in inaction

Picked up an ILBE assault pack (that's the small one) at Dale's yesterday. No internal frame. Pouch and opening for 3 liter hydration system (not included). ACU woodland camo. $35. Marine Corp gen II, I think. Good size for a weekend out. He's got a stack of them, dunno how many total. I think it's got enough strap surface to tie down a tent and sleeping bag ok. Made by Arc'Teryx.

Now looking for either Molle or ILBE pouches of various sizes. (And load straps of various lengths.)

ILBE radio bags are everywhere in surplus right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improved_Load_Bearing_Equipment

http://www.ilbepack.com/

edit: Gen 1 has the black buckles and straps. Gen 2 has the coyote/khaki buckles and straps. I grabbed the only gen 1 I saw. It was closer to mint condition. But there might be more. Be sure to check all zippers for function. Missing buckles are easily replaced. I'll be ordering some black ones.

edit: The ILBE assault pack can hold 1500 cubic inches of gear internally with a load capacity of up to 40 pounds. The ILBE does not incorporate well with the modular tactical vest.

edit: Needed two buckles, black. Found out the hard way that Army kit buckles aren't the same as the Marine kit buckles. They still work if you replace both halves, but the two types won't buckle together.

Edited by ReconRat

Recon, I just got rid of a bunch of load straps the other day to a friend. I wish you would have said something when you got that ammo.

Look at Tactical Tailor, SKD Tactical, Blackhawk, Eagle Industries. There are a lot of companies that have Molle and other pouches, prices vary A LOT!

Yeah, for cheap stuff, it comes down to a pair of SAW pouches on the sides, and a sustainment pouch on the back of the pack. I still have a web belt that I like to use for a lot of stuff. Like a gallon of water in a pair of 2qt canteens.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back...

I found a really good 27 pound - 7 day check list for a backpack.

It assumes water is steadily available to filter and use.

If not, water adds a LOT of weight.

The 27-Pound, 7-Day Gear Checklist

edit: btw, the Katadyn Vario, MiniWorks EX, and SweetWater are the only small water filters I would consider. In that order, but I like the Miniworks.

Edited by ReconRat

I skipped over this thread back when, but after all the goings on here lately decided I should do some reading to get some pointers on setting up a 'shtf' bag...lots of great info here and I am only part way through.

I'm back...

I found a really good 27 pound - 7 day check list for a backpack.

It assumes water is steadily available to filter and use.

If not, water adds a LOT of weight.

The 27-Pound, 7-Day Gear Checklist

edit: btw, the Katadyn Vario, MiniWorks EX, and SweetWater are the only small water filters I would consider. In that order, but I like the Miniworks.

It really does seem like every list is missing at least one thing. I didn't notice it mentioning glasses/contacts if necessary and also any necessary medication which would be outside of your first aid kit (asthma, allergies, etc).

The other thing i was thinking about the other day after the caffeine thread came up, if you had to get out for a few days and had a caffeine dependency, you're going to have a really hard time traveling with a headache for a day or two. The whole idea of keeping a light pack so that you can move faster is so pressing but i'm not sure we do enough for ourselves to make it matter. I wonder how many people with go bags can actually hike/walk 10-20 miles tomorrow if they needed to, then again the next day and maybe the day after that too. Hell, I've known at least 2 guys in the past 5 years that didn't even own a pair of tennis shoes when I met them... how are you gonna hike in your business sketchers? ;)

I need to put a much smaller 1 person bag together for going solo. Thoughts on 5.11 messenger bag as a GHB? I. Will probavly br switching to a day cab semi this summer and with my other gear my big bag is gonna be way too big.

Hell, I've known at least 2 guys in the past 5 years that didn't even own a pair of tennis shoes when I met them... how are you gonna hike in your business sketchers? ;)

These guys ain't going nowhere even if they had a gobag.....also I noticed some bags have things I will never need.

To each his own I guess........I mean 'go' means different things to different people. Me, I look at it as g.o.d. (get outta dodge) as in 'no more conveniences, a govt takeover, or something of that nature where having to survive in the wilderness (or what there is left of it) would be the necessity. I'm taking bits and pieces of advice from a wide spread bunch of sources to make up something to meet this need. Some sort of shelter; a way to get drinking water; tools to get food, fire, to protect, to construct; footwear, clothing; first aid;....all in forms that allows mobility.

Lots to consider......

• 3 weeks later...

...glasses/contacts

...necessary medication

...shoes

...caffeine

it's on my list. Two types of individual instant coffee/bags and tea bags.

and plenty of...

aspirin

acetaminophen

ibuprofen

midol

and a lot of stuff for feet/blisters

I like Converse tactical/duty boots. I wear them out in a year or two. I'm getting two new pairs of them. And still have warm heavy duty Wolverine mountain style hiking boots.

Just picked up a sustainment pouch and two smaller side pouches that attach to the back pack. Almost doubles the pack space. Stuffed them all with clothes to try it out, and the pack rides well. I can jump up and down without rattling or shifting weight. Added used mil spec compass. Found OD compression bags on line. Still not done. More stuff.

The side pouches were cheap ugly ACU digital camo, but I already figured out how to dye them some sort of green.

Found a website that sells individual packets of everything. Cheap.

Meds, foods, whatever. They have kits for hikers/etc.

Here's the website link so I can find it again, ha.

http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx?Affiliate=579

How many people are remembering to add bug repellent to the list?