Go Bags, what to have in one

JStump

RR, what's the point of a radio? I like gadgets but I've always wondered what's the point, who'd be broadcasting what that would be of use? I'd be headed the opposite direction of any collection of people.

RR, what's the point of a radio? I like gadgets but I've always wondered what's the point, who'd be broadcasting what that would be of use? I'd be headed the opposite direction of any collection of people.

Information, which can be valuable when you don't have it.

Say for instance you heard about a bandit road block ahead, or a town out of control. You'd want to avoid those.

Conversely you might hear of a town that would appreciate your arrival.

Or simply where a shelter is, or when it's safe to go home.

If it's important, a little AM/FM radio might tell you.

edit: Or confirm the worst is happening. You will probably want to know.

If it's total break down of society, yeah, toss the radio and good luck.

How about those small "2-way" walkie-talkie style Motorolas? Just for 2 way info within your group, if one person goes ahead in a "scouting" trip? Or would that be bad since there are only a few channels those broadcast on, a third person could hear the communication within the group?

Fishing pole?
MJ, you would if you're hungry enough. Or if some one else skins and cooks it.

And the basic fishing gear is a good idea. Small and lightweight.

Yes, my first preference would be fishing... and I'm pretty good at it.

I'm sure if I was hungry enough, it wouldn't be such a problem, but the first couple of days that would be something that i would have to overcome.

I'm with ya on the radio thing. Makes good sense to at least be able to listen in and see what is going on. If we're being invaded from the east coast, I would not be headed east.... or if the major cities were all disaster areas, I would want to steer clear.... or if the river I was hanging out near had biological poisons released in it, that would be good to know.

No problem killing live fish but could not eat small game?

Well, I didn't say I don't have a problem killing live fish, I still feel bad, and I'm still pretty grossed out about it, but I can do it. Its a mental thing but a furry little wood creature seems harder than a fish. Yep, this is my weak point for survival.

How about those small "2-way" walkie-talkie style Motorolas? Just for 2 way info within your group, if one person goes ahead in a "scouting" trip? Or would that be bad since there are only a few channels those broadcast on, a third person could hear the communication within the group?

Not all groups are tactical. And a scout is a good idea anyway. So yeah, a few two way radios are good. Some of the new ones are encrypted.

Dried food is the key to cutting weight. So is sticking with a .22 gun an ammo.

definitely. when i'm getting ready for a big hike I usually pack high calorie foods so I don't need to carry as much.... I know spam is gross, but if you put it in a plastic bag its light and it packs a lot of calories, and its delicious over camp fire.

Edited by OsuMj

I do beef jerky(homemade) to get protein and some calories. I have ten days worth of dried food in my pack weighs like 2 pounds. My down fall was ammo and cans of food before added lots of weight. I removed some 9mm ammo and 5.56 ammo/mags dropped some weight out of the pack. Also water was a major weight factor. Before I had almost 10 pounds of water. Now I have two 16 oz bottles, and have a filter system to refill them with.

Dried food is the key to cutting weight. So is sticking with a .22 gun an ammo.

Will have a .22 pistol and ammo, but will also have the AR. Yeah dried foods seems to be the way to go for reducing weight, and jerky is always good. Real good idea about the water too, and I would like a GI style canteen as well.

Will have a .22 pistol and ammo, but will also have the AR. Yeah dried foods seems to be the way to go for reducing weight, and jerky is always good. Real good idea about the water too, and I would like a GI style canteen as well.

Look at the Nalgene bottles. They have a canteen shape bottle. I know they sell them at Target and they have combo deals online that include free shipping.

I've been looking into the Katadyn pocket filter to go with it but need to do more research on the filtering system.

I just bought a water bottle with a carbon filter in the nozzle, not sure how well it works exactly since I do not have the ability to test that, but I have noticed the water tastes better when using tap water. Not sure if something like that would work on bacteria though.