Trackday Campers

wantahertzdonut

I rock a tent or just a mat & sleeping bag in a garage.

Not as comfortable as a small toy hauler or RV.

But pull a 5x8 trailer with my Pontiac.

I have gotten as good as 23 mpg for a tank pulling 2 bikes.

Dream setup is a small to mid size toy-hauler and a tow vehicle with a decent back seat.

eqqi3a.jpg

2lcmffd.jpg

Edited by aforrest4

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we're getting away from the OP's original question though about doing a few months of traveling and wanting to bring bikes along.

I keep going back to simplicity and cost.

A van-based camper with the bikes on a small open trailer is going to be the absolute simplest. The open trailer will be small and light, and won't require trailer brakes. From what I was seeing, even pop-up campers weigh considerably more than 2 sportbikes on an open trailer. Especially if you get one with a water tank.

A true toy hauler would be most luxurious, but also have the smallest resale market, and among the worst gas mileage.

Sleeping in an enclosed trailer can be quite comfortable with minimal money invested, but that means unloading the bikes every time you want to sleep. It's something to consider.

I know I have raved about the pit-bull TRS a lot on this board, but i'll plug it one more time. For an extended trip with lots of miles, it is well worth the peace of mind, and you can sell it for what you paid when your trip is over...

So if you already have a truck, I say buy a small enclosed and set that up for a little comfort. If you don't, then a small open trailer and a camp van is probably the cheaper option.

yeah but that dude want's way way too much. hell my buddy had a 2001 ford van much nicer than that old thing for $4900.

here's a really quick example i found. way newer and way less $.

http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/Class-B-Motorhomes/1996/Airstream-Airstream/248832/

I figured his price was high, but that was in 30 seconds of searching CL, AND it's right around the corner from me. I'd at least like to check it out just to see one in person.

The van you posted...ooolala!

I tow a 5x7 HF trailer right now that I'm happy with but for longer term towing I think I'd like to get an enclosed trailer just to keep the bikes out of the elements if we're driving for a while. Plus it's more cargo room and we won't have to pile up the tow vehicle, whatever it is.

I like the toy hauler idea, but as mentioned it's the smallest resale market. I need to look further into them because the ones I've turned up (again in a 2 minute CL search) have very inefficient floor plans. Not sure why.

Anybody ever just stash their bikes into a camper? I'm not sure if that would be possible, but it just popped into my head. Again it's only 2 of us so we certainly don't need 3-4 beds like a lot of campers I see seem to have.

I've seen it done at the dirt tracks with scooters, but need to remember, campers don't have reinforced floors like TH's do. You could do this yourself, or what not, but I personally wouldn't trust a camper floor for hauling something.

Like I said, I've seen it done though.

I didn't think much about floor strenght and that is a good point. What is the usual construction of these things? I remember being shocked that the floors of the busses I drove in college were plywood, so I can't say I'm surprised that a camper floor wouldn't hold up.

Out of curiosity, I found this on local craigslist http://cleveland.craigslist.org/rvs/3413535262.html

Anything worth looking into?

I'm also hunting for a 3/4T Suburban. I've always wanted one and now I'd have an excuse to get it. The trailer camper is sounding like a better idea.

I looked into that, only thing we didnt like was that there was no seperation from garage to living quarters which I wanted.

But that's a good price for a clean looking unit. I would have been more interested if he had posted it before I bought mine. But like I said, we wanted a garage with a wall/door to divide it from living quarters. The bathroom in that one is similar to ours, a little smaller, but good sized for real touring.

If that is in your price range, I would definitely look at it.

FYI, I would probably offer 7K for that and would not go over 7500 though.

I don't know how I feel about having separation or not. I would think that having another wall would make the thing feel smaller, but not having been in one I can't say for sure.

I'm stuck doing pointless overtime at work right now so if I get a chance to look at it, it'll be next week when we shut down for Christmas. I'll definitely haggle, it's a way of life!

I take it the manufacturer is reputable? I don't know who is good and who isn't.

What about a truck with a 8 foot bed with a cap on it and a small trailer. Use the trailer for bikes only And sleep in the truck bed with blankets or a small air mattress. Also, you always have the option of leaving the trailer at home and driving the truck in bad weather or a a second vehicle

I don't know how I feel about having separation or not. I would think that having another wall would make the thing feel smaller, but not having been in one I can't say for sure.

I'm stuck doing pointless overtime at work right now so if I get a chance to look at it, it'll be next week when we shut down for Christmas. I'll definitely haggle, it's a way of life!

I take it the manufacturer is reputable? I don't know who is good and who isn't.

Yeah, I almost bought a 5er from the same manufacture, actually regret not picking it up the day I saw it, but I drug my feet and spent way more on something different. Oh well.

Yes that's a very good brand, and that thing looks almost brand new. IF it has an onboard genny, I'd probably do the 7500, BUT Im not really sure, I may still stick to 7K cash.

If you get any more details, important ones are water holding tank size(fresh), genny, AC/Heat, hot water heater details, I.E. mine has DSI and is electric and gas both, and 10 gallon. This means I have dual heating elements and that is rare and awesome both lol. I start on gas, then turn the elec on and that just keeps it hot enough, but the gas heats up much faster. The DSI is electronic gas ignition, our first one had it inside the trailer, my TH has it outside, but still a nice feature, come to think of it, I didn't test that yet. Shoot.

Stupid off the wall question, but a motorcycle will fit on a wheel chock inside a full size van, correct? Can you get 2 side-by-side?

I'm finding a few LWB 1T vans for pretty decent prices. With the idea that the bikes would go in the van, tow a camper behind, or just camp in the van with 1 bike for trackdays if I don't want to haul the whole trailer around. Or because of the long wheel base, just have the bike and a bed where the 2nd/3rd row seats would normally go.

• 3 weeks later...

really anything that is still in business is pretty solid. I've owned Dutchmen, Jayco, and I forget the first trailer(Sunlight, just came to me), but right now, any name brand that isn't just some random fly by night custom builder is solid.

Thor, Jayco, Dutchmen, Sunlight, etc.

I'm not in the market for an rv, but I might still try to hit up the show if I can score free tickets.

Just pick up some ideas of what I like and don't like, or steal some ideas for a DIY enclosed trailer conversion.

I'm more likely to buy a "browns bus" than a track hauler, but maybe some day...

Right now I'm leaning more toward a single use trailer suitable for 2 people. I've been watching 15-passenger vans and hunting for a good deal on one. But I won't buy until I see something I like for sure at the show. Bikes would go in the van to keep them out of the elements and I certainly wouldn't mind having a van.

We went to the RV show last night and learned quite a bit by seeing what was there and talking to salesmen and such. Most importantly we ruled a lot of stuff out.

We will certainly not be buying a motorhome of any sort, so Class B's which I thought would have been the way to go will not work out. Too cramped and too expensive for what you get. No Class C's either, I don't want a huge vehicle that only serves one purpose.

We did find a couple small trailers we liked, one Coachman especially. 24' long and pretty light, with a double axle and good floor plan.

I'm warming up more to the idea of a toy hauler now, however. But every floor plan seems to miss the mark in one area or another. Am I wrong to assume most of these are designed with the idea that 3 guys will be sleeping in there? Every one we saw had 3 single beds, or just a piss poor layout. I have an idea of what a good layout would be, but just need to find it.

Haha, yeah a lot of them are laid out like that. Ours for instance has a king bunk, fold out couch(queen), and fold down dinette to a twin. Then the whole garage I could add bunks or a bench that turns into a twin(or two with bunks), on the wall, but dont plan to unless I see it truly needed. So really, most are designed for 2-3 adults, the rest being kids.

Rmember, BATHROOM size.

The one we looked at was a fairly short trailer and my girlfriend declared the bathroom as waaaaay too big. She's somewhat opposed to toting around a bathroom with us, but I wouldn't mind something small for emergencies. We'll keep looking.

In looking at trailers at the show, it seems like new prices are on par with used prices. Am I crazy or are sellers in Cleveland dreaming?

Do people seriously think they'll get what they're asking when a new unit is less? WTF?

Dude let me tell you a story, Im long winded so bear with me, but here;

So I had found a unit in Indy I was interested in, not hugely but a little. Anyways, dude told me straight up that he was trading it Saturday adn if I wanted to get it for what he was asking(private party) I had to buy it right away. I was like well you will get 1/2 what you are asking so you can GFY, but I was polite and nice about it saying no thanks. He texted and called me daily for the next 3 days until he traded it in.

THEN he gave MY information to the dealer who was now asking MORE for the used unit than the dude had been. The dealer actually texted me a few times and called me several.

Finally I told the dealer straight up he was harassing me and I was going to file a report if he called me again, it had gotten that bad.

Dealers will do anything to make a sale on these units because they have to move a ton to make a lot of $$.

Dude let me tell you a story, Im long winded so bear with me, but here;

So I had found a unit in Indy I was interested in, not hugely but a little. Anyways, dude told me straight up that he was trading it Saturday adn if I wanted to get it for what he was asking(private party) I had to buy it right away. I was like well you will get 1/2 what you are asking so you can GFY, but I was polite and nice about it saying no thanks. He texted and called me daily for the next 3 days until he traded it in.

THEN he gave MY information to the dealer who was now asking MORE for the used unit than the dude had been. The dealer actually texted me a few times and called me several.

Finally I told the dealer straight up he was harassing me and I was going to file a report if he called me again, it had gotten that bad.

Dealers will do anything to make a sale on these units because they have to move a ton to make a lot of $$.

Thats bullshit that he gave your info to the dealer.:nono: