Trackday Campers

wantahertzdonut

I'm looking into getting a camper for staying at the track on weekends as well as longer term living as my job will be wrapping up in the Spring, and my girlfriend and I are going to travel for a while.

I'm new to campers, I've only used tents or slept in cars in the past. What do you guys look for and what features are handy for trackdays?

I haven't really set a budget yet, but I'm definitely wanting to stay as small as reasonable. I don't want $400 fill-ups. I am torn between a few options.

1) Getting a crew cab pickup and putting the bikes in the bed, and towing a trailer camper

2) Getting a van based camper and towing the bikes on the trailer

3) Other options?

For what it's worth, I have a class B cdl so I could drive a bus based camper but I think it's out of the budget, plus fuel isn't cheap. My girlfriend won't be able to drive it either. But if there's a converted bus for the right price, I may reconsider. I'm also not sure if I'll want to bring a car to to behind or not. It wouldn't be necessary unless we had a bus, of course.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a toy hauler. Best of both worlds. Room to sleep and it will easily store two bikes. Have to tow with a truck tho unless you want to buy an realllly ecpensive one

If you have the budget this is obviously the best option, priciest, and the 400 FUs will happen, trust me, I do it all the time, 100-150 all summer long.

A lot of this depends how many days, how serious you are about using it, traveling, and what your needs/future needs are.

I've done it all, starting with enclosed trailer with no power, no insulation, etc. just a cot or air mattress. It's fine and a lot of people do this, but you need facilities in order to make that happen. This was as I had an enclosed trailer and also had a bumper pull travel trailer, so not able to use both at the same time.

The TT I would take to races I wasn't racing like dirt races, and just camping in general, the enclosed I would ride share.

For just you and wife, get a TT Hybrid and toss the bike in the back of your truck, or a popup WITH AC. The TT Hybrids are nice because they have showers, crappers, AC, fridges, everything. You can actually get a toy hauler hybrid used small enough to tow with a 1/2 ton for 7-8K ALL DAY, trust me, I've researched for 2yrs now, and extensively the last 6 months. These are light, smaller water tanks, etc. but have at least 1 queen bed up front in the fold out, and either a fold down or 2 couches that fold out in the back, which is usually a dinette too. Can haul 2 bikes tops, gear, water, food, etc.

Pop ups/a normal non toy hauler hybrid are also nice, never ownes a pop up, but family did, Marty does, and they are nice, light, and easy to take care of. Most don't have showers/crappers, but as long as you go somewhere with that it's fine. Most have an outside grill or take one, and some even have inside stoves, fridges, and sinks. Personally I never cook inside mine, just so it doesnt smell liek food, but whatever.

A lot of it depends on the following, will you have friends with you, will you have more than 1-2 bikes, will you need to be gone long periods, will you have kids, pets, do you plan to cook, eat out, does personal showers/bathrooms matter, etc?

I could go own, I will start with that. FYI I Just sold my TT to a member, helped winterize it last night, and picked up a 28FT TH, hard side, king size bunk, queen fold out couch, and dinette that folds out too. Has a huge bathroom and 2 50 gal water tanks, and 2 waste tanks. Full kitchen etc. I live in it weds PM-Sunday 3-5 times a year, then about another 6 weekends depending. On 2 of the weekends we pack up after the first night and travel with the drivers to the other track up to 3 hrs away.

For me, I can fit 3 bikes if I have to, or 2 and scooter, or golf cart, then everything we'd need in the TH for over a week of travel if needed, so it made sense. I would have gotten a hybrid toy hauler had I not wanted the seperate garage like mine has from living quarters.

Let me know if you have specifics, feel free to PM me and email me if you want, like I said, I've owned campers for about 10 yrs now, and am on my 3rd living one, along with 1 enclosed. I can tell you details about brands, what to look for on used, etc. I know others on here will chime in with their experiences too.

Depends on budget as Mad stated. I run a church style van with an enclosed trailer. I run just the van for dirty bike riding and the trailer when road race stuff is going on. Idea for me is the tools and possible work area should it be needed. Hard to work on stuff inside a van... worse with a pick up truck...

Point is that you can baller it all day and get the RV and have AC, fridge, shelter, beds, etc.

That would be sweet. But, I don't need the fuel bill and you can't just run to Lowe's with the thing to get lumber. Same with an enclosed trailer. I can haul sheets of plywood, furniture, etc. Toy haulers are kewl, but you can't haul much shit in the back as they are minimalist - toys are a thought, but it is an RV first and trailer second.

Depends on budget as Mad stated. I run a church style van with an enclosed trailer. I run just the van for dirty bike riding and the trailer when road race stuff is going on. Idea for me is the tools and possible work area should it be needed. Hard to work on stuff inside a van... worse with a pick up truck...

Point is that you can baller it all day and get the RV and have AC, fridge, shelter, beds, etc.

That would be sweet. But, I don't need the fuel bill and you can't just run to Lowe's with the thing to get lumber. Same with an enclosed trailer. I can haul sheets of plywood, furniture, etc. Toy haulers are kewl, but you can't haul much shit in the back as they are minimalist - toys are a thought, but it is an RV first and trailer second.

Yep, this to a T. Also forgot to mention tow vehicle is a huge thought too. Had I been balla like Wrobel or Neyra I'd run super dirty like they do, or Prison I mean church van like DESMO and a sick enclosed like his. But he also is a man and makes 3 hr commutes before racing, I however am like a soft little puppy just starting out all cute and cuddly.

Edited by madcat6183
Brian changed his name..... again.

I'm looking into getting a camper for staying at the track on weekends.

I'm new to campers, I've only used tents or slept in cars in the past. What do you guys look for and what features are handy for trackdays?

I haven't really set a budget yet, but I'm definitely wanting to stay as small as reasonable. I don't want $400 fill-ups. I am torn between a few options.

1) Getting a crew cab pickup and putting the bikes in the bed, and towing a trailer camper

You will want this option: 0718_sylvan_sport.jpg

I would add my $.02, but as others have mentioned, you really have to decide if shitter and sink are requirements.

If not, then your portions open up a TON, and your price drops a lot too.

The way I would personally try to avoid RV's and toy haulers, as I feel they are harder to resell an depreciate a lot. I would do without the bathroom and insulate a 6x12 enclosed, spring for a Honda genny, and then install heat/AC, lights, and a couple outlets.

I would add my $.02, but as others have mentioned, you really have to decide if shitter and sink are requirements.

If not, then your portions open up a TON, and your price drops a lot too.

The way I would personally try to avoid RV's and toy haulers, as I feel they are harder to resell an depreciate a lot. I would do without the bathroom and insulate a 6x12 enclosed, spring for a Honda genny, and then install heat/AC, lights, and a couple outlets.

This is very good info too, because TH/TT depreciate a ton, so buying used is the only way to go unless you plan to keep/use it forever.

Also his idea on the 6x12 is a very easy project, and very affordable, I mean we all sleep/slept in our enclosed with no insulation, AC, heat, etc just fine. It all depends what you are really using it for the most, camping, track, hauling, etc.

This is very good info too, because TH/TT depreciate a ton, so buying used is the only way to go unless you plan to keep/use it forever.

Also his idea on the 6x12 is a very easy project, and very affordable, I mean we all sleep/slept in our enclosed with no insulation, AC, heat, etc just fine. It all depends what you are really using it for the most, camping, track, hauling, gratuitous HJ's, etc.

ftfy

That's another good point - you have to really be honest with yourself about how it's going to be used MOST OFTEN.

Buying a great camper that you sleep in 20 nights a year, but haul stuff in 50 times a year is silly... I personally think a cargo trailer is more useful, and sort of "tough it out" on sleeping arrangements, because that's the secondary function.

I like the idea of that soft-sided trailer/tent combo, but my guess is that it begins to approach the same costs as a used enclosed solid-sided trailer. The only reason to go that route would be if you're towing with a car, but really need a place to 'camp.'

Holy shit! I looked into that "go" trailer with the integrated tent.

$8,000

You could build a nice enclosed 6x12 for half that. Yes it would weigh more an you will get worse mileage, but $4000 buys a lot of gas! I guess if you only have a small car, but damn...

Edited by redkow97

My biggest worry with something large is what to do with it when I'm not using it. It'll just be 2 of us, no kids, no pets, just food, cameras, and 2 motorcycles.

Not sure about the bathroom thing yet. On one hand it's handy, on the other it's space being taken up and money spent to empty the tanks. I think nearly all our stops would be tracks or national parks. We'll live if we have to skip a shower or two also. It's not a house, afterall.

I like the idea of building a trailer into something with bunks, but I'll have to see if I have time to put it all together before summer. I've tossed the idea around of doing the same with a used box truck, but again the resale thing comes into play. I don't know how long I'll really hold on to it once I'm done. Initial cost comes in to play there.

Oh, and definitely buying used.

Madcat- I'd love to pick your brain about this stuff, I'm completely new to any of this so I am just trying to pick a starting point. I'll PM you my email.

my brother has a chevy van converted to a rv. toilet, sink, stove, the works. it's pretty awesome for just this exact thing. and he got if for a little under a grand.

they're called a class b motorhome if you wanted to check out some on the net.

Edited by serpentracer

my brother has a chevy van converted to a rv. toilet, sink, stove, the works. it's pretty awesome for just this exact thing. and he got if for a little under a grand.

they're called a class b motorhome if you wanted to check out some on the net.

Yep, these are awesome, everything but a shower usually, even propane stoves, fridge/freezer, some have 2 beds even, like a fold out couch AND a rear bed and the front seats are comfy too.

If just you and the wife and you're looking at staying at tracks and parks, I'd most likely look at a popup with the front toyhauler option. Actually there was one by me, made by Scorpion and I think like 7500, so not bad, and I know you could find used, heck could make your own with a flatbed trailer and just toss on a pop up. I've seen them.

Also, your idea of just making a trailer into living is going to be pricey vs a pop up, IF you have a tow vehicle you can toss the bike on/in, yes a Van will work, seen it done even from Canada to Jennings, actually he had 2 bikes I think. Heck I saw a bike at Putnam in a station wagon with a small trailer behind.

http://www.google.com/search?q=scorpion+toy+hauler&hl=en&tbo=d&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=y4u_UMSaH8WMygGi3oCYCA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1515&bih=503

I emailed from work, normally here until 5-6pm and around 7am.

I was not aware that pop-up campers could have plumbing, but in 30 seconds on CL, I found a 1995 pop-up in good shape with a toilet and clean water tank for $1900...

If you have a pickup that will fit bikes in the bed (I've seen 2 bikes in a ranger bed...), that is probably just about as cheap as buying a decent van and pulling an open trailer. And I imagine sleeping in the pop-up is a bit more comfortable than even a well-appointed van.

I was not aware that pop-up campers could have plumbing, but in 30 seconds on CL, I found a 1995 pop-up in good shape with a toilet and clean water tank for $1900...

If you have a pickup that will fit bikes in the bed (I've seen 2 bikes in a ranger bed...), that is probably just about as cheap as buying a decent van and pulling an open trailer. And I imagine sleeping in the pop-up is a bit more comfortable than even a well-appointed van.

Oh all day long 2K and under with AC and plumbing. Like I mentioned in 1st post tho, no shower USUALLY, BUT I've seen some with wet toilets, which means a toilet sharing with shower/sink. Usually have a 6 gal hot water tank, propane meaning it will have stove and small fridge like 1.6cuft. But most toilet only models are like a porta potty that has to be emtiped, DONT dump in that. Just get a 5 gal bucket with a seat and plastic bag, trust me.

Yeah if I was doing it for JUST track and ease, I would do a popup WITH AC, get an F150 and toss bikes in bed. That is if I didnt care about the bieks that much etc.