Trackday Campers

wantahertzdonut

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my brother has a chevy van converted to a rv. toilet, sink, stove, the works. it's pretty awesome for just this exact thing. and he got if for a little under a grand.

they're called a class b motorhome if you wanted to check out some on the net.

Something like this? I'd prefer a GM van since they have the longer wheelbase along with the longer body, but I think this would be the ideal with a covered trailer for the bikes.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/rvs/3383639103.html

Yeah man, actually those are sweet setups, double check any laws you may have if you live in a development tho, they can classify them as motorcoaches etc. That even has a shower so I'd guess its a wetbath setup, and that'd be fine for boondocking if needed.

Yep, that has the kig and queen, and all the features. I would definitely rock something like that plus trailer for bike. Just wasn't practical for what we use ours for.

Here is what I roll around in. F350 diesel and toyhauler that will definitely transport 2 bikes comfortably. Inside has a queen bed up front, full size bed above the garage and the standard table that folds down to a bed. Definite overkill for only 2 people and 2 bikes, but we go camping with friends/family also who will stay in it. When we aren't taking the bikes, the garage area works great for other storage like the grill, bicycles, kayaks and such.

2012-06-28_20-51-51_574.jpg

Here is what I roll around in. F350 diesel and toyhauler that will definitely transport 2 bikes comfortably. Inside has a queen bed up front, full size bed above the garage and the standard table that folds down to a bed. Definite overkill for only 2 people and 2 bikes, but we go camping with friends/family also who will stay in it. When we aren't taking the bikes, the garage area works great for other storage like the grill, bicycles, kayaks and such.

2012-06-28_20-51-51_574.jpg

Man nice setup, makes me want a dually even more :( My F250 does love my TH more than the TT though I will say that.

Definitely can't wait to load it up with bikes, golf cart, and just us for some camping trips this summer.

A question about the tow vehicle, at what point do you find the dual axle necessary? I've wanted a dually since I was a kid but would never buy one unless I had a need. I associate them with 5th wheels and bed campers but I don't know at what point it becomes a must.

Definitely can't wait to load it up with bikes, golf cart, and just us for some camping trips this summer.

I have been tossing around the idea of finding a campground a few hours away (in prime riding territory) to park it next season. Then I can hop on the bike, ride to the campground and hang out for the weekend without worrying about loading everything up and wasting a half day Friday and on Sunday hauling the camper around...

30ft plus on bumpers(I prefer 28 or more), or a 5th wheel/goosneck. This is something we can get in a pissing match ALL day about with people on here, I've seen it tons of times on my powerstroke forums, on here, hell even my car forums. 30ft, or ANY 5th wheel/gooseneck, I don't give a shit what people say about towing a 5er with a 150/1500, etc, it isn't smart nor safe. Yes it can be done, but it's stupid and you are putting everyone on the road in danger, not just yourself.

I had a 30ft lifted 5er toy hauler in MI I could have gotten way cheaper than I paid for my 28ft bumper pull, but I wanted a bumper pull just in case I needed to use my dads truck if mine broke down, or wife had it etc. Plus not everyone has a 5er hitch in the bed, and they are over 500 just in parts for a decent one, then 2-5hrs labor or self install.

If you want more info on that PM or email me, I am sure you will get conflicting stories if some of the people from the last pissing match jump in.

And trust me, Ive wanted a dually forever too, Ricart has 2 2008 Ford F350's right now both Duallys I would love, but they don't make sense for my play truck, 6 tires is way the hell more than 4, plus beefier lift kits, shocks, etc. But hella sweet.

I have been tossing around the idea of finding a campground a few hours away (in prime riding territory) to park it next season. Then I can hop on the bike, ride to the campground and hang out for the weekend without worrying about loading everything up and wasting a half day Friday and on Sunday hauling the camper around...

Actually, we were considering that down at Hocking. The park lets you own the lot, then you can build whatever like a cover/shed place to store it. Think enclosed storage but still being able to pull it out for the winter or whatever. I have the name of the place, it's gated, golf carts allowed, and I am sure trails etc.

A question about the tow vehicle, at what point do you find the dual axle necessary? I've wanted a dually since I was a kid but would never buy one unless I had a need. I associate them with 5th wheels and bed campers but I don't know at what point it becomes a must.

I must admit, the dually may be overkill on towing the toyhauler. I had an F150 with the 5.4L when I bought the TH and actually hauled it back home from Michigan with that truck. It did okay, but I decided to get a bigger truck and found the diesel dually MONSTER F350 :bow: for a good price and went for it. My wife and I frequent Michigan (that's where family is) and I didn't want a tow vehicle that would be manhandled around on the highway because of what I was hauling. Also visions of hauling the camper and bikes to shows around the country came to mind! :D

The dually setup will also help stabilize the camper and minimize it being tossed around on the highway if the camper sways a bit. More tires on the ground means more traction. :D Also, if you head down into KY or mountainy (sp?) areas, the diesel pulls like a mule up the hills and gets decent mileage too. I went down to Maysville, KY a few months back and was averaging 16mpg towing the camper. Pretty sweet when you are hauling something that weighs in around 10,000lbs loaded down!

One con I can think of is that when you change the oil, you need about 4 gallons of the stuff... Lol!

I don't give a shit what people say about towing a 5er with a 150/1500, etc, it isn't smart nor safe. Yes it can be done, but it's stupid and you are putting everyone on the road in danger, not just yourself.

Another reason I forgot to mention. The last thing you want is something going wrong when hauling that kind of weight around. Overkill is better than pushing the limit...

6 tires is way the hell more than 4, plus beefier lift kits, shocks, etc. But hella sweet.

I dropped $1000 on 6 Firestone's shortly after I got the truck because they were all mismatched and showed some wear. Again, the last thing you want is something failing during a tow.

Actually, we were considering that down at Hocking. The park lets you own the lot, then you can build whatever like a cover/shed place to store it. Think enclosed storage but still being able to pull it out for the winter or whatever. I have the name of the place, it's gated, golf carts allowed, and I am sure trails etc.

Pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Hocking is a great area too, I rode out that way a few times this year.

Everything he said to a T, takes 15qts of oil, plus you need to change fuel and oil filters both each oil change.

But That 350 would be nice to have, I actually picked my TH up in KY so I know about the Mtns lol. Brought it back on its maiden voyage through those in the rain, and heavy traffic.

Where do you go in MI? I go up there a lot and hope to be heading up there with the TH too. And your comments on the dually are so right, the 5.4 would tow it, same with mine, but man I've been there, done that, never again unless I have to.

Where do you go in MI? I go up there a lot and hope to be heading up there with the TH too.

My in-laws have a nice little piece of property near Croton/Hardy Dam and one of my buddy's owns about 10 acres a bit east of Manistee off of 55. We like to get up to both places and do some river trips and just hang out.

And your comments on the dually are so right, the 5.4 would tow it, same with mine, but man I've been there, done that, never again unless I have to.

Agreed! It did the job, but that was the one and only 5 hour trip the F150 made with the TH.

My in-laws have a nice little piece of property near Croton/Hardy Dam and one of my buddy's owns about 10 acres a bit east of Manistee off of 55. We like to get up to both places and do some river trips and just hang out.

Agreed! It did the job, but that was the one and only 5 hour trip the F150 made with the TH.

Nice, I'm thinking about taking a trip back to Mackinaw with the wife to show her how beautiful the state is up there. Most of my family lives around West Bloomfield now, Adrian, Tecumseh, and MIS.

Wife and I want to get some land down here in Cbus too so may make a perm spot on there until we build our house, but at least have a place to go have a fire drink some beers and ride atvs around.

Nice, I'm thinking about taking a trip back to Mackinaw with the wife to show her how beautiful the state is up there. Most of my family lives around West Bloomfield now, Adrian, Tecumseh, and MIS.

My wife's side of the family all live in and around Vandercook Lake, little place just south of Jackson. There is some nice country riding down by Adrian, Tecumseh, and MIS area. US 12 and M-50 are a few roads that come to mind.

I have a 24ft Terry, sleeps 6, bought it new in 1996, before the days of toy haulers68A539AE-89FC-4E09-BF91-6F2B517910E1-1738-00000259672FBE93.jpg...A64E2E03-2F81-4115-AA9D-3FAB756D7235-1738-000002596942BC76.jpg....I get 6mpg to a best of 9mpg while towing this 6,500lb portable house .... I have licensed it in 5years due to steep fuel prices FD126BC6-75C2-47E6-B39A-F6DF23F20F15-1738-000002596A8BA5F9.jpg...I have sold my 7x16 cargo trailer to a buddy, he brings a cot to sleep on while at MotoGP and such..I think I only paid $4300 for that new cargo trailer from a dealer in Columbus area. We have used to to haul four bikes to the Dragon - 13mpg at 80mph ...2B4C388A-D26E-4E93-A192-927D53E9BAFC-1738-000002596B5F92E0.jpg

6-9mpg? Does your truck have s V6 in it? Wow I thought my 10-11 with my TT was bad, or the 10 I averaged down to Jennings with all our stuff in an enclosed last year was bad.

Im hoping to be around 11-12 this year with the TH loaded with 2 bikes or golf cart. Got almost 12 empty in the mtns, and I basically drive flat and straight to any track I go to.

6-9mpg? Does your truck have s V6 in it? Wow I thought my 10-11 with my TT was bad, or the 10 I averaged down to Jennings with all our stuff in an enclosed last year was bad.

Im hoping to be around 11-12 this year with the TH loaded with 2 bikes or golf cart. Got almost 12 empty in the mtns, and I basically drive flat and straight to any track I go to.

the titan gets about 10 mpg towing the 6x12 loaded

my sonata got 23 mpg towing the bike to colorado in the summer :D

Something like this? I'd prefer a GM van since they have the longer wheelbase along with the longer body, but I think this would be the ideal with a covered trailer for the bikes.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/rvs/3383639103.html

yeah but that dude want's way way too much. hell my buddy had a 2001 ford van much nicer than that old thing for $4900.

here's a really quick example i found. way newer and way less $.

http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/Class-B-Motorhomes/1996/Airstream-Airstream/248832/

Edited by serpentracer

Here is my modified 4x6 trailer that my buddy and I used to haul his bike from Indianapolis to Minneapolis. I extended the front a bit and added a Harbor Freight wheel chock and some tie down points. Very lightweight setup, I pulled it with a Mercury Sable that has a 3.0L DOHC. The car didn't even bat an eye pulling it. I can practically haul a bike anywhere I go, which is sweet when my wife and I go hang out with family for the weekend... :D

2012-11-16_16-52-02_608.jpg