Trackday Campers

wantahertzdonut

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11TDI_FROshop115.jpg

FWIW, my dude has one of these for his Avalance since they also have that drop down rear, meaning he has access to heat/ac, power, radio, all that good stuff. He loved it at the races a few years ago.

I would definitely consider something like this if I was going like dirt biking and had to take the bare bare min.

• 3 weeks later...

About pickup beds, are caps available that are tall enough to allow a motorcycle to drive in? I've never looked at truck caps before so I have no idea if someone makes one that's tall enough. Finding something like this would open up options for what we're after, since we could go back to just getting a camper trailer instead of a toy hauler.

About pickup beds, are caps available that are tall enough to allow a motorcycle to drive in? I've never looked at truck caps before so I have no idea if someone makes one that's tall enough. Finding something like this would open up options for what we're after, since we could go back to just getting a camper trailer instead of a toy hauler.

Depending on the truck yes. For my F250 you can actually get one that is like super tall and not just roof level. This would definitely work, then sleep in there when bike is out.

Actually my truck had a cap on it, then had an interior light on a switch in it also. And technically, you can get like little 12v heaters or even use a little buddy heater, just leave a vent window open or what not.

Same concept as the tent thing, just more versatile.

the thing with a capped truck is that it will be difficult for YOU to fit, even if the bike does.

Remember, you have to load and unload the thing. Unless you remove the cap, you're doing all that bent over. Not fun.

A conventional roof-level cap is a great place to store "stuff" that isn't super valuable, but you want out of the elements though. I have seen people leave their luggage in the bed all day, and then move their generator (powering the RV they're towing) into the truck bed over night. Keeps the rain off. Lock it up though...

I'm not planning on sleeping in the truck bed, ever. I didn't really state that before. I'm still looking at a camper trailer to tow behind the truck. Bikes only will come out when they're going out on the track or the road.

Being bent over does sound like it stinks, but I'd be doing the same in a van too. And I haven't liked any of the layouts of toy haulers I've seen so far, so I'm just considering this as another option. Reason being is I'm looking at diesels, and it's much easier to find a diesel pickup than a Suburban or van. This enables me to go with a camper or toy hauler, whatever I find first.