2011 death statistics by the numbers

Kent2406

I'd like to see this compared to death related to car accidents and drunk driving

Funny... someone at Bloomberg was wondering that same thing.

American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities by 2015

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-19/american-gun-deaths-to-exceed-traffic-fatalities-by-2015.html

i3cs6F7hTHkc.jpg

I think the reason japan didn't invade america was A. their surprise attack intended to cripple our navy failed, and B. our nuclear capability demonstrated on hiroshima and nagasaki.

it had nothing to do with your guns, it was the United States military that they feared.

Ummmmmm considering we didnt demonstrate our nuclear power until well after Pearl Harbor how does this support your point?

Ummmmmm considering we didnt demonstrate our nuclear power until well after Pearl Harbor how does this support your point?

that's why the failure at pearl harbor was point A... (had they succeeded in crippling our fleet, they might have been more inclined to invade)

and H&N were point B... (once they knew what kind of heat we were packing, they didn't want anything more to do with being at war with us)

my point was that it was our military they feared, our big guns, not the general public/ small arms...

Edited by magley64

Funny... someone at Bloomberg was wondering that same thing.

American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities by 2015

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-19/american-gun-deaths-to-exceed-traffic-fatalities-by-2015.html

i3cs6F7hTHkc.jpg

Fine print... Firearms homicide, suicide and accidents. How many are justified homicides?

What are the total number of suicides by method? assuming they are pretty close to firearms just more curious.

I think the reason japan didn't invade america was A. their surprise attack intended to cripple our navy failed, and B. our nuclear capability demonstrated on hiroshima and nagasaki.

it had nothing to do with your guns, it was the United States military that they feared.

I would say your half right on this one.

-It was our military thay feared and also the distance. To invade the west coast they would have to deal with the Navy in Hawaii first. Even if they did sneek past by the time they got close to the coast they would have the navy up there ass and a return trip back to Japan wouldnt be an option.

-Now as far as invading the US mainland, it was not high on the list of importance.

Them holding/overtaking S.E. Asia and the Pacific islands was there plan. Hence attacking Pearl Harbor. Our Navy being the only thing that could stop them is the main reason of there sneak attack. Cripple our main fleet and they could have there way with that part of the world.

-Nuclear bomb, not a factor

-"Gun behind every blade of grass" probaly not so much. Even though they said it im sure the reasons above were the deciding factors.

Side note: The US killed more people fire bombing Japan than both nuclear bombs combined.

Fine print... Firearms homicide, suicide and accidents. How many are justified homicides?

What are the total number of suicides by method? assuming they are pretty close to firearms just more curious.

I'm sure that breakdown is available... and I think it's already been discussed that suicides account for the majority of gun deaths (or at least > than the number of homicides - which would include defensive justified homicide)

But thats why the chart says Gun Deaths... it's factually correct per the words used. It's on the people to interpret or ask additional questions to ferret out additional relevant information.

Here you go, please watch. I posted this in another thread. At the end is a very good axample as to why we should have the right to have 1, or 10, 20, or however many I wish to own. Is it common for riots or life threatening situations to accur that would require one or many? Nope. Is it it possible? You damn right it's possible. I hope you never find yourself in that situation, but what are you going to do if you do? Talk your way out of it?

If there's one person who could drive a crowd of people to despair, apathy and make them want to just give up on life just by droning on, it would be Magz.

I actually concede, he might be the one living person who could talk his way out of harm by the sheer mind-numbing stupidity of his ramblings.

It's like arguing with a child, isn't it?

We didn't demonstrate nukes until Japan was completely unable to project force at the death-throes of their military and Navy and Japan's only military options were how to train old men and kids to fight with punji sticks when we invaded. They were issuing last-ditch rifles to troops at that point in the war.

Magz is a fucking retard.

Before Pearl Harbor even happened Japanese leadership asked planners for invasion possibilities. There is no hard evidence of Yamamoto cautioning about our gun ownership, in fact it's probably bogus, but there is no doubt that invasion was strategized. He would have most certainly have been part of those plans or been instrumental in their devlopment, but importantly it was ultimately decided against at the height of their arrogance and power. It's not unreasonable at all to believe they considered the strong and undeniable resistance that would have been met by civilians (among other reasons it was a stupid idea).

They landed and fought in the Aleutian Islands...which were largely uninhabited...that's as far as invasion got.

Edited by swingset

I think the name calling is necessary.. lest there some pent up rage that doesn't get vented and swingset goes postal.

You alone Magz are keeping swingset from becoming one of those unhinged "gun nuts" by allowed him to throw insults your way. If you expect civilized discourse, it might end in tragedy because his emotions cannot be checked. And I'm willing to let you bear that cross (you're welcome?) if it means keeping swingsets mental health in the 'sane' range.

right, but how long did all that fire bombing take? vs 2 very big bombs

9 months of heavy bombing after the B-29 was introduced.

"The Operation Meetinghouse firebombing of Tokyo on the night of 9/10 March 1945 was the single deadliest air raid of World War II;[12] greater than Dresden,[13] Hiroshima, or Nagasaki as single events."

What really is amazing is what it took for the Japanese to finally say enough is enough. Read the part of the B-29 bombings in the link. You never hear about these bombings but yet were way more devastating as far as casualties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo

Edit: If i remember correctly the US had a list of cities in Japan in order by population and just went right down the list.

Edited by 20thGix
More info

I think the name calling is necessary.. lest there some pent up rage that doesn't get vented and swingset goes postal.

You alone Magz are keeping swingset from becoming one of those unhinged "gun nuts" by allowed him to throw insults your way. If you expect civilized discourse, it might end in tragedy because his emotions cannot be checked. And I'm willing to let you bear that cross (you're welcome?) if it means keeping swingsets mental health in the 'sane' range.

Well, if it's a public service...

9 months of heavy bombing after the B-29 was introduced.

"The Operation Meetinghouse firebombing of Tokyo on the night of 9/10 March 1945 was the single deadliest air raid of World War II;[12] greater than Dresden,[13] Hiroshima, or Nagasaki as single events."

What really is amazing is what it took for the Japanese to finally say enough is enough. Read the part of the B-29 bombings in the link. You never hear about these bombings but yet were way more devastating as far as casualties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo

Was just going to look for that info.

I knew there was a single bombing raid (multiple planes) that killed more people than either nuke. It was not until the second nuke that the Japanese were fully convinced enough that a single bomb was responsible.

However as mentioned by the time we were firebombing or nuking Japan there was no possibility that the Japanese could attack the mainland as there military was in shambles.

Actually we were very worried about invading the Japanese mainland due to the ferocity of the fighting they did in defense of relatively small islands. Hence the reason we dropped what was basically prototype weapons.

It is interesting that gun ban advocates will use gun death statistics as a sum when almost 2/3 of the deaths are suicides (19k out of the 32k). And as mentioned a good percentage of the rest are drug/gang related. Unfortunately there are too many gun deaths of innocent people caught in the cross fire or mistaken for rivals. So the gang violence does spill over into other areas. Especially for those without means to move to safer neighborhoods.

Craig

looking at that graph makes one wonder why they didn't outlaw cars back in the 80s to save all those people killed in car accidents.

because most of those things have legitimate practical uses...

what do you use an assault rifle for? trimming trees? planting corn?

Quit calling these assault rifles........do you have any idea how small few in this country own a fully automatic combat rifle? Do you also realize that most AR and AK/SKS owners use their rifles to hunt with, or shoot targets? These are semi automatic rifles capable of high capacity, these are not M16's or full auto AK47's. Do you realize how many semi automatic pistols are capable of holding/shooting more than a 12 round capacity magazine.....are those assault pistols? We know that you would rather everyone only own a revolver or a single shot shotgun or rifle, but that just isn't being realistic or fair to the millions of responsible gun owners.....and I mean millions. Do you know the main reason why law enforcement went to semi automatic high capacity pistols, it is because the criminals had them and were killing too many police and overwhelming them. I will admit that I am not a big fan of gun shows, so wouldn't affect me at all should they ban them or make them much more strict with purchases. There are so many different ways a criminal can get ahold of a gun, no new laws or bans is gonna make a dent in that problem. Fight fire with fire, that is the country that we live in, you just haven't experienced that yet. Maybe if you had a Wife or kid to protect and keep safe, you "might" feel a bit differently about things. You truly think you are safe, and being complacent and under that illusion is very dangerous for you.

• Upvote 2

You truly think you are safe, and being complacent and under that illusion is very dangerous for you.

this keeps coming back to me... but okay... we can talk about me...

I find it quite relaxing actually. You just think it's dangerous because you've never lived it. You think it's just an illusion, I know it as reality because it's all I've ever known at home.

The homicides that occur in this county, are almost always performed by spouses.(sure there is the rare meth deal gone bad, but I don't deal in meth.) The bank robberies that occur, are almost always done with notes, not with guns. I just don't need the hassle of buying, loading and carrying a device that I never anticipate the need to use, and that I disagree with on personal principle. The best thing I can do to cut down my chances of meeting the business end of a firearm is just to stay single.(which despite my better judgement, I'm probably not going to do)

now what about you? What about your lifestyle makes it so likely that someone would want to pull a gun on you?

Edited by magley64

Factoring in the rate of death caused by mass shootings from Columbine to the present (about 210 people in 13 years), it will be more than 300 years until we reach the number of casualties that occur from accidental drownings every single year in this country. In a little more than 150 years from now, we’ll approach the number of people who are poisoned to death every single year in this country. Sometime in 2014 we might surpass the number of people struck by lightning every single year in this country.

Which is to say that mass shootings are incredibly rare and don’t kill a lot of people when they do happen.

It is tempting to ask why accidental drowning is not 340 times more important a social issue than gun control. Or why poisoning isn’t 150 times as pressing a political issue. (If the number of people dying is truly what’s important, almost anything would be more pressing.) The problem is not hard to understand though, and rests in a psychological concept known as the “logical fallacy of misleading vividness”.

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/why-not-renew-the-assault-weapons-ban-well-ill-tell-you/

• Upvote 1

From the FBI crime statistics:

20616_477579415613755_206418272_n.jpg

Magz, your hands and feet are responsible for more death than my semi auto rifles are, by the numbers. In fact, I'd wager throughout history millions more have died by hands and feet than by rifles. They are offensive weapons, with no legitimate use.

I suggest you cut yours off, before you snap or they're taken and used against an innocent person.

You won't be able to post as much, either.

this keeps coming back to me... but okay... we can talk about me...

I find it quite relaxing actually. You just think it's dangerous because you've never lived it. You think it's just an illusion, I know it as reality because it's all I've ever known at home.

The homicides that occur in this county, are almost always performed by spouses.(sure there is the rare meth deal gone bad, but I don't deal in meth.) The bank robberies that occur, are almost always done with notes, not with guns. I just don't need the hassle of buying, loading and carrying a device that I never anticipate the need to use, and that I disagree with on personal principle. The best thing I can do to cut down my chances of meeting the business end of a firearm is just to stay single.(which despite my better judgement, I'm probably not going to do)

now what about you? What about your lifestyle makes it so likely that someone would want to pull a gun on you?

SERIOUSLY? :wtf: I travel allot, and sometimes not in the best part of towns "where murders, pandering, homicides, and drug deals do in fact go down." And people get robbed, shot or assaulted in places like restaurants, churches, parking lots, parks, gas stations, "schools" walking down the street....etc. Watching the ID channel you will see all the murders that have occurred with people just hiking or taking a damn walk. What about all the attempted and rapes on women? This occurs every single day, and not always in the big cities either. There are statistics for a reason, that is why they are called statistics. And not all have a gun, many times a knife is the weapon of choice. And I would just love to see you defend yourself from a meth-head crack addict with a knife.

SERIOUSLY? :wtf: I travel allot, and sometimes not in the best part of towns "where murders, pandering, homicides, and drug deals do in fact go down." And people get robbed, shot or assaulted in places like restaurants, churches, parking lots, parks, gas stations, "schools" walking down the street....etc. Watching the ID channel you will see all the murders that have occurred with people just hiking or taking a damn walk. What about all the attempted and rapes on women? This occurs every single day, and not always in the big cities either. There are statistics for a reason, that is why they are called statistics. And not all have a gun, many times a knife is the weapon of choice. And I would just love to see you defend yourself from a meth-head crack addict with a knife.

It's okay, none of this ever happens in Ashtubula County, and he never leaves the county. :rolleyes:

Food for Thought!!!!! (1993-2003 stats)

Number of physicians in the U.S. : 700,000

Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year : 120,000

Accidental deaths per physician : 0.171

Number of gun owners in the U.S. : 80,000,000

Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) : 1,500

Accidental deaths per gun owner : 0.0000188

Therefore, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous

than gun owners.