2011 death statistics by the numbers

Kent2406

SERIOUSLY? :wtf: I travel allot....And I would just love to see you defend yourself from a meth-head crack addict with a knife.

I don't, sometimes I travel on business, and more often I ride to various locations around the nation via highways and byways...

Probably 85-90% of my time is spent in my home county.

the numbers are a little old, but they haven't changed much either...

http://www.fedstats.gov/mapstats/crime/county/39007.html

http://www.criminal.com/statistics/ohio/ashtabula.htm

average murder rate per year is somewhere between 1 and 0...

in a population just over 100,000, the math isnt that difficult.

I'm just as likely to die by lightning strike, or by earthquake as to be murdered by another human being in this county.

More likely to die by hornets/wasps/bees.

70 times more likely to die in a plane crash.

100 times more likely to die in a fire or drown.

and yes 761 times more likely to die on my motorcycle.

I just don't need a gun... take into account that nearly everyone one of those murders were perpetrated by the spouse...the odds get even more astronomical since I'm single.

In my career field i am forced to go into some of the shittiest neighborhoods from Toledo, lima, Dayton, Columbus and Cincinnati after dark. Places where i have specifically been told by the residents that white boys weren't welcome. Ive been robbed 3 times in Dayton in the past 6 years while on the job. 2 had guns one was obviously strung out on dope with a chef's knife. I made it out fine because i sacrificed my dignity and cried like a bitch so they wouldn't hurt me. The last time it happened i started thinking about getting my ccw and a hand gun. Now that i have both i dont have to sit there while a couple of lazy fucks steal my tools.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

In my career field i am forced to go into some of the shittiest neighborhoods from Toledo, lima, Dayton, Columbus and Cincinnati after dark. Places where i have specifically been told by the residents that white boys weren't welcome.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I have worked with people that i have given rides home afterwork that were nice enough to fill me in on that type of information. And when they tell you this they are not trying to be hard asses.

Once all i did was turn around in a parking lot in Dayton and some random crackie tried climbing in my car wanting a ride. This happened during the day while i was minding my own business. I didnt have my CHL then nor was it legal at that time but it shows something can happen that fast. Who knows what she really wanted. She gave up at about 15-20 mph.

I'm certain that will happen eventually, and our kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews will be safer for it. :dunno: times change.

Papers please!

I think the reason japan didn't invade america was A. their surprise attack intended to cripple our navy failed, and B. our nuclear capability demonstrated on hiroshima and nagasaki.

it had nothing to do with your guns, it was the United States military that they feared.

:lol: we didn't have nukes at the beginning of WWII, genius.

:nono: so full of fail.

Funny... someone at Bloomberg was wondering that same thing.

American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities by 2015

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-19/american-gun-deaths-to-exceed-traffic-fatalities-by-2015.html

i3cs6F7hTHkc.jpg

I'm a little late but this is a poor comparison IMO.

First, auto accident deaths have declined because cars continue to be made safer...not so much for guns/ammo. It has little to do with the competence/intent of people behind them. The first dip is around '91 when they passed the air bag law and manufacturers starting putting them in cars (not mandatory until '98). The drop in 2008 is largely attributed to gas prices and the fact that people drove less as a result.

Secondly, this measures deaths. It doesn't discern between accidents and purposeful events. Obviously, most car related deaths are accidents, not intentional. Gun ownership has increased at a greater rate than car ownership so it stands to reason that accidental deaths from firearms would rise commensurately. I don't hear a lot of people up in arms about people accidentally shooting themselves. I can compare the death rates for autos against deaths from scuba diving or skiing or slipping in the shower. They are all unrelated other than a death occurred.

This is simply a way to present unrelated data in a way that the average person would look at and say wow, we have a problem. People are sheep. Most can't figure the tax on a candy bar much less digesting the information presented on a graph in a deeper way other than saying "yep, one line goes up and one line goes down".

The point of the chart being, regardless of "accident" or "intention" -- gun deaths will surpass traffic fatalities.

So, when the gov't or private industry looks at way to mitigate deaths, they look through the leading causes and decide how to address them in a economical way. When guns > cars on that list -- that'll show up on the radar, someone will either lobby Washington to mandate 'x' 'y' or 'z' to make guns safer (in a manner that you agree with or not), or the industry will come up with a way to regulate itself so the gov't isn't asked to by the public. Especially if the gun deaths are "accidental" in nature regardless of the amount of ownership.

I suppose if 5 people in the US owned cars, we wouldn't need mandates for seat belts or air bags or crumple zones. But rising ownership, which includes irresponsible people and the "accidents" that happen, will end up forcing a shift to either hinder/prevent irresponsible people from owning one, making the guns themselves "safer" in a manner that you may or may not like, or both.

So if the gun folks like things the way they are now, they should be totally on board for reducing gun deaths before it reaches a point where someone in a position of power or vast wealth decides that "Gun deaths" is the next problem we as a country needs to address.

• Upvote 1

The point of the chart being, regardless of "accident" or "intention" -- gun deaths will surpass traffic fatalities.

So, when the gov't or private industry looks at way to mitigate deaths, they look through the leading causes and decide how to address them in a economical way. When guns > cars on that list -- that'll show up on the radar, someone will either lobby Washington to mandate 'x' 'y' or 'z' to make guns safer (in a manner that you agree with or not), or the industry will come up with a way to regulate itself so the gov't isn't asked to by the public. Especially if the gun deaths are "accidental" in nature regardless of the amount of ownership.

If auto fatalities were the benchmark against which all other forms of fatalities were measured then I'd agree with the above. Also, heart disease, cancer, chronic lower respiratory diseases, and stroke all cause more deaths annually - why aren't they listed? Because the chart is intended to influence the reader against guns in some form or fashion. Granted, those listed are illnesses/diseases that aren't necessarily a choice for those impacted but all can either be avoided, mitigated or treated to minimize fatalities.

Too bad they lump all accidents together...murder doesn't even rank in the top 10. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm

• Heart disease: 599,413
  • Cancer: 567,628
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 137,353
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,842
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 118,021
  • Alzheimer's disease: 79,003
  • Diabetes: 68,705
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,692
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,935
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 36,909

I know that the leading causes are heath related. Guns and Automobiles are compared because they are, in theory, 100% preventable. I don't view the chart as being biased one way or another. If the simple question was, what causes more deaths, cars or guns, the simple answer is cars -- but is projected to be guns in 2015. Now, I don't think the analysis should stop there, though some people will, either due to their own biases or inability to process the complexity of the problem. It's a directional question that gives you a directional answer to further investigate the data, sources, compilation and reporting thereof.

If automobiles or guns didn't exist, they would cause zero deaths. Man has control of their existence, which makes the comparison simple.

As the vast majority of that list is health related, those aren't necessarily preventable due to genetic and environmental factors that are only known to increase or reduce the risk of such factors, not 100% prevent the risk. Those factors are out of our control, save for studying and implementing eugenics. Though we should be able to agree that TONS of money each year goes to fighting those health risks as well.

Edited by JRMMiii

looking at jrmmiii's graph, i wonder if we were magically able make all guns disappear, would suicide rates go down, or would suicides via drugs-hanging-knife-emocutting-automobile-jumping-wrestling a tiger go up to compensate because the number of people who want to die stays consistent? my personal belief is that it would still go down because people can't do the job without the right tools. if we banned all amish, the stat of the number of people with good furniture would drop severely.

Good thing our gun laws kept guns away from this nutjob. :eek:

Do I detect your doubts about the effectiveness of current gun laws? Would this lead me to believe you have skepticism of future gun laws having a meaningful impact? Let’s try to decipher this; mass killings are carried out by utilizing several tools' date=' from fire to explosives not to mention poisons or gasses don’t forget to include firearms. The one common theme in all of this is the mentally disturbed mind that plans and executes the atrocity. Why isn’t it obvious that regulating firearms is the only effective way we have to combat these events? What could go wrong?[/font']

I have worked with people that i have given rides home afterwork that were nice enough to fill me in on that type of information. And when they tell you this they are not trying to be hard asses.

Once all i did was turn around in a parking lot in Dayton and some random crackie tried climbing in my car wanting a ride. This happened during the day while i was minding my own business. I didnt have my CHL then nor was it legal at that time but it shows something can happen that fast. Who knows what she really wanted. She gave up at about 15-20 mph.

I had something similar happen to me. I was visiting a family member at the cleveland clinic and my family was hungry, so I went down the street to a burger king, and while I was in the drive through, some dude basically tried to climb through my driver window! Luckily a cop pulled up at that exact moment and the guy took off, but what would have happened if the cop hadn't shown up?? I had nothing to find this dude off.

I had something similar happen to me. I was visiting a family member at the cleveland clinic and my family was hungry, so I went down the street to a burger king, and while I was in the drive through, some dude basically tried to climb through my driver window! Luckily a cop pulled up at that exact moment and the guy took off, but what would have happened if the cop hadn't shown up?? I had nothing to find this dude off.

why would you need to find him? Thought he had already found you?

Food for Thought!!!!! (1993-2003 stats)

Number of physicians in the U.S. : 700,000

Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year : 120,000

Accidental deaths per physician : 0.171

Number of gun owners in the U.S. : 80,000,000

Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) : 1,500

Accidental deaths per gun owner : 0.0000188

Therefore, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous

than gun owners.

actually this probably could be adjusted a little seeing as some of those physicians are cosmetic plastic surgeons or dermatologists. and I've never really heard of anyone dying from getting breast implants or from getting a nevus biopsied. but that may just be me.

actually this probably could be adjusted a little seeing as some of those physicians are cosmetic plastic surgeons or dermatologists. and I've never really heard of anyone dying from getting breast implants or from getting a nevus biopsied. but that may just be me.

Its not unusual for people die from the anaesthesia and allergic reactions.