Its a win for gun owners in ohio

Gunner75

On Wednesday, December 20, Governor John Kasich ® signed amended House Bill 495 into law.

HB495, sponsored by Rep. Terry Johnson ®, makes three changes to current law:

Eliminates the "demonstrated competency" requirement for second and future CHL renewals, making CHL training similar to a hunting license.

Fixes the definition of a "loaded gun" to match the commonly accepted definition.

Allows law-abiding gun owners to have their firearms stored in their cars in the state-owned parking garages such as the one under the Statehouse.

"This represents a dramatic improvement to the law," said Jim Irvine, Buckeye Firearms Association Chairman. "We solved the critical issues of removing the ill-conceived 'demonstrated competency' for renewals that start next month, and achieved a workable definition of a "unloaded firearm.'"

The law, which received bi-partisan approval in the House (66-23) and Senate (26-7), will take effect on March 22, 2013.

That "loaded gun" definition is a loaded magazine inserted into the weapon.

Actually, that's probably good. It would have been much tougher to sign with that provision right now.

You do have a point, however I am an advocate of removing the Gun safe zones specifically for CCW carriers. Weve demonstrated that we are responsible enough to carry without serious incident. And I am certainly for removing the damn notices at retailers banning weapons from their premises. BW3 is one of those.

It would have good too if there was a defined time for the " must notify promptly" part.

Thats easy. Once you roll the window down and the officer says what he has to say thats when you tell them, "Its my duty to inform you I am a licensed concealed carry holder and I currently have my weapon in the vehicle" I was told by my local chief LEO to say that exact phrase.

Thats easy. Once you roll the window down and the officer says what he has to say thats when you tell them, "Its my duty to inform you I am a licensed concealed carry holder and I currently have my weapon in the vehicle" I was told by my local chief LEO to say that exact phrase.

I personally would add to that "Please instruct me as to how you would like me to proceed." to show that you are willing to be compliant as well as showing respect which tends to go over well.

I personally would add to that "Please instruct me as to how you would like me to proceed." to show that you are willing to be compliant as well as showing respect which tends to go over well.

Worded like that, if you have a new officer he might think that he is supposed to have you do something. I'd stick with the "I have a concealed handgun permit and I am currently armed. It is located ______." This is also short and to the point and lets the officer to go back to what he is doing.

Good on the Gov to do this much for Ohioans, and I agree that private property owners should retain the right to deny weapons if they so choose. That should remain THEIR right if they dont agree to CCW laws, there's always other places to visit/eat/shop/go if it means THAT much to the carrier.

Worded like that, if you have a new officer he might think that he is supposed to have you do something. I'd stick with the "I have a concealed handgun permit and I am currently armed. It is located ______." This is also short and to the point and lets the officer to go back to what he is doing.

Plus there is no reason to be meek or overly accommodating. You are carrying a weapon, so what. No big deal. I have only had to notify once but the cops just don't care. Mine said 'Thank you but no problem'. And that was the end of it. He gave no instruction and didn't do anything different.

The reason they don't do anything different is because they treat everyone as armed. They have to.

I'd also like to address Gunner's post about CPZ signs posted on private property. Sorry' date=' but private property is private property. I'm all in for removing the ban on public/govt property carry, but a business owner ought not be forced to serve a gun carrier if he/she doesn't desire to.[/quote']

I agree with this ^^^

If business owners were smart, they would allow concealed carry in their businesses because crooks aren't going to heed the sign. The only place I think it's a good idea to not allow it is at bars/clubs because there's a greater risk that tempers will flare and somebody will do something rash in the heat of the moment. In the grocery store, not so much unless there are fights over produce :D

How about "I'm packing and I have a license"

I heard from a business owner that used to have "no guns" signs up that business owners that choose to post "no guns" signs are liable if there should happen to be a shooting on their property if it's not posted they are relieved of all liability. He said he was never told this when he received the signs to post that it was his insurance agent that told him. Has anyone heard of this before??