fuel line help

Steve Butters

ok the car is back together and im in need of some assistance with a fuel line.... when i removed the line, it made a snap sound and something fell and i have no idea what it was....the line snapped back in, but its spitting fuel like crazy

the line im talking about is, im assuming, the fuel supply line....its the one in the back in this picture, with the blue clip

20121215_234501-2.jpg

can anybody tell me what im missing here? is there an o ring or another clip or something? the check engine light is on and the car is missing hard....looked there and its just pouring out fuel

An o-ring, maybe? The thank that fell out - did it sound hard when it hit stuff in the way down?

Inspect the blue clip well - are both the lugs intact and able to click into place in the black plastic socket? Is the black plastic socket intact too, so the clips can engage?

Look at the fuel line closer to the camera - specifically the section of line that plugs into the the white clip - if you look inside the fitting that teh whote plastic clip plugs into can you see an o-ring in there?

There's either a seal/o-ring missing or the fitting is not holding the line in tight enough.

Edited by Scruit

I need to see a better picture of that line. There should be hard plastic extended beyond the blue clip. That's where the o-ring is located.

I found a plastic ring but wasn't sure if that's what fell or not.... Should I go to Saturn dealership and have them open it in fiche and buy the ring? I don't have that piece anymore, idk what I did with it

I'll get a better pic tomorrow for you of the line

This parts will be common with other GMs. Maybe a Saturn forum can tell you which mother models the parts interchange with?

OR online... Try here: http://www.saturnparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.htm If nothing else, just to get a part number or dimensions. Maybe that same part# is available from Chevy, or there is a Chevy equivalent, etc.

I remember u saying u were trying to do this on the cheap. From the picture it looks like u broke the end of that plastic fuel line. It's hard to tell without seeing the bigger picture but u could just cut off both ends and use a rubber hose to connect the two. Most cars fuel pressures can be handled by hose and a couple clamps. I've done it multiple times when fuel lines have rusted under a car.

Those are just standard connectors. In the female end it has an o-ring then a plastic piece that holds the o-ring in place. You may need to just replace the connector. They make kits that you splice onto the old line. I forget how they tell you to heat the tube to get it to fit over the coupler they provide, I think they say to use hot water, but I ignore that and apply heat with a small butane torch or a heat gun as I push the lines together. Just a little heat, and keep the heat source moving to keep from burning the plastic line. You want to make sure the fuel has dried in the line though! If you have the lines started together, the flame or heat gun shouldn't bother the fuel in there anyway. It may take a third had to manipulate it all.

Ok the plastic piece with o ring must be what fell... I found a repair kit at advance I may try.. Not sure how I'll splice it onto the manifold though... I'll take a better look at it Wednesday... Thanks for the help, I'll update thread after I take another look at it

Only thing is, I think the female end is metal and attached to the manifold.. So I can't replace it.. Do I need to buy an insert with o ring?

A standard practice for me is to hit the junk yard and get another fuel line. Also can check out the parts and fit while there. Cheap and fun.

edit: If it was that easy to fall off and get lost, NAPA should have the parts for you.