2013 Assault Weapons Ban Summary

Scruit

I don't think an AWB woudl pass on it's own - I think it would get included into something bigger that the Republicans need and they'd have to let it through. Reid voted against the AWB in '93, but voted FOR the omnibus crime bill in 94 that included the AWB.

Right here. There is no way any AWB could pass on it's own. It has to be included in with something else, or it will just get shot down, no matter how little it tried to do.

I think this is why they(meaning both parties) refuse to even start negotiating on the fiscal cliff. They will not reach an agreement before the end of the year. We'll go "over the cliff" which really means jack shit for most of us until tax time for 2013. That means they have all year to come up with a bill that brings us back up from the cliff jump by making the tax breaks that disappear at the first of the year retroactive and go back to where they are now, and institutes a new AWB.

It conveniently provides a huge excuse for the R's who "had" to vote for it to protect the tax breaks we "all"(meaning the top 1%)need, and also gives the D's an excuse for accepting those tax breaks they had to let stay to get the AWB. They both get what they want, more power and money for the DC elite, less rights for the masses. The whole two party system is a dog and pony show. It's no more real than reality television. :mad:

Now where did I put my tin foil hat.....

Edited by imaposer

Right here. There is no way any AWB could pass on it's own. It has to be included in with something else, or it will just get shot down, no matter how little it tried to do.

I think this is why they(meaning both parties) refuse to even start negotiating on the fiscal cliff. They will not reach an agreement before the end of the year. We'll go "over the cliff" which really means jack shit for most of us until tax time for 2013. That means they have all year to come up with a bill that brings us back up from the cliff jump by retroactively making the tax breaks that disappear at the first of the year go back to where they are now, and institutes a new AWB.

It conveniently provides a huge excuse for the R's who "had" to vote for it to protect the tax breaks we "all"(meaning the top 1%)need, and also gives the D's an excuse for accepting those tax breaks they had to let stay to get the AWB. They both get what they want, more power and money for the DC elite, less rights for the masses. The whole two party system is a dog and pony show. It's no more real than reality television. :mad:

Now where did I put my tin foil hat.....

Put away the tinfoil hat - combining the AWB and fiscal cliff fixup is likely to happen. If the dems manage to get an AWB then they'll get pounded into dust at the midterms. I'm a swing voter and I know which way I'll swing next time. Party line dem voters don't choose the direction of the county, netiehr do party-line repubs. It's swing voters like me that will switch sides based upon the balance of the issues that actually make the choices.

If the republicans get a veto-proof majority at the midterms then look for an attempt to repeal or water-down the AWB. If they get the house, senate and oval office in 4 years then look for the same.

This doesn't mean the end the second amendment, but I think you know what it DOES mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBml1XZDg3w

I think this is why they(meaning both parties) refuse to even start negotiating on the fiscal cliff. They will not reach an agreement before the end of the year. We'll go "over the cliff" which really means jack shit for most of us until tax time for 2013. That means they have all year to come up with a bill that brings us back up from the cliff jump by making the tax breaks that disappear at the first of the year retroactive and go back to where they are now, and institutes a new AWB.

I'm pretty sure that if the fiscal cliff happens, it'll affect paycheck withholding immediately, so they don't really have all year. Also payroll taxes, estate taxes and the rest go into immediate effect.

Glad Congress just got a pay raise, though. :nono:

I'm pretty sure that if the fiscal cliff happens, it'll affect paycheck withholding immediately, so they don't really have all year. Also payroll taxes, estate taxes and the rest go into immediate effect.

Correct. You will feel it immediately upon expiration of the Bush tax cuts. This is significant cash.

Wait...they can cooperate long enough to give themselves a raise? I've been on a fucking pay freeze for 3 years. Shit our government sucks!

So change your withholdings to keep getting the same, and after they rollback the taxes, it will all work out when you do your taxes at the end if the year.

So change your withholdings to keep getting the same, and after they rollback the taxes, it will all work out when you do your taxes at the end if the year.

lol, by the time my human resources dept processes all those requests, it would be done and over with. Too late.