2013 Assault Weapons Ban Summary

Scruit

Summary of 2013 legislation

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

• Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
    • 120 specifically-named firearms
    • Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
    • Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

[*]Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

• Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
    • Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
    • Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

[*]Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

[*]Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:

• Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
    • Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
    • Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

[*]Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

• Background check of owner and any transferee;
    • Type and serial number of the firearm;
    • Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    • Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    • Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

My thoughts:

- If grandfathered weapons are banned from transfer then why would they reference background checks on transferees?

- The Bullet Button will be banned. What's next? A thumbscrew holding in the magazine?

- Pistol grip and thumbhole stocks will be banned? Well, then the next version of that is a stock there the 'pistol grip' is molded into the right side of the stock and it sized to be used normally, but the left side of the stock is solid. Therefore the grip doesn't protude down below the rifle, nor is there a thumbhole?

What of rifles where the stock IS a pistol grip? http://doantrevor.com/2010/12/28/finished-english-walnut-palma-rifle-stock/

Edited by Scruit

So if we have to register all grandfathered guns with the nfa, can we then mount suppressors? And run short barrels on them? LOL! I sold all my guns sorry and pmags in the buying frenzy made a ton of money.
All of my guns were lost in a terrible boating tragedy with KawiKid.

No, no, and no. Obviously, like any negotiation.... Starts out with the door in your face and moderates as we come to the middle. Our position must be as extreme. "No new restrictive legislation, in fact.... Repeal NFA."

No, no, and no. Obviously, like any negotiation.... Starts out with the door in your face and moderates as we come to the middle. Our position must be as extreme. "No new restrictive legislation, in fact.... Repeal NFA."

My 3 year old has already caught on to this negotiation technique. When he wants a cookie, he starts by asking for 3 cookies.

• Upvote 2

Moar Fear :nono:

How's Delta Espilon doing throughout the fearmongering? What kind of % rise in sales are you seeing?

I wanted to go to blackwing and shoot my AR and SKS but I'm going to have to call ahead first to make sure there will be ammo for me to use! (My milsurp ammo is not suited for the indoor range)

I don't understand the point of grandfathering in weapons that are so dangerous they needed to be banned in the first place. if they're so dangerous, they should be confiscating them.

They want to confiscate, but they have far too many hurdles. It would be an apparent violation of several constitutional amendments (unreasonable search/seizure/due process) etc.

Also, TBH I thought the federal government was in the business of regulating interstate trade, not what goes in inside the states, so when they want to ban something they have to find an inter-state angle - like you cannot import a banned gun, or assemble a banned gun from imported parts, or you cannot take a banned gun across state lines etc. All the previous firearms bans have been grandfathered that I know of - I'd welcome anyone who can point me in the direction of a federal ban with confiscation of "contraband" owned pre-ban.

Thirdly - there are more gun owners than all the police forces and military branches combined. Civil War is not very likely, but if it were to happen the government would be ridiculously outgunned in terms of manpower and number of weapons. They know this. They have cooler toys and can blow up more stuff, but when half the country owns guns they can't militarily fight the populous.

Finally - if they tried to buy back all the assault weapons, all 30 million (one estimate I saw based upon reported sales of ARs only) of them, at $500 a piece (below value, yes, but the govt isn't going to make you a profit) that's $15 billion dollars. Who is going to fund that? That's almost as much as NASA's budget. Or $100 for every taxpayer.

i wrote my representative (LaTourette) and senators.

i hope you all do too, no matter what side of the coin you're on.

i asked that if any legislation is passed, that it only include measures that are practical and useful, not reactionary and uninformed and generally pointless.

i wrote my representative (LaTourette) and senators.

i hope you all do too, no matter what side of the coin you're on.

i asked that if any legislation is passed, that it only include measures that are practical and useful, not reactionary and uninformed and generally pointless.

Is there a petition online yet?

found elsewhere:

Dear Senator Feinstein:

I am a lawyer and a gun owner. If you truly believe that it is time to ban or register under the National Firearms Act of 1934 essentially all "modern" firearms then do it honestly and properly; by proposing a Constitutional Amendment to repeal or re-write the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. If you feel that our 18th century rights are obsolete in the 21st century then say so plainly. But before you do please re-read the Federalist Papers and George Washington's second congressional address. Please note the genocides that occurred in other countries after they banned private ownership of modern firearms (Turkey in 1915, Germany in 1939, Cambodia, Russia, China and Uganda). Is a theoretical, speculative and statistically insignificant decrease in gun violence worth the sacrifice of the one constitutional right that guarantees the people the means of preserving all the other constitutional rights in the Bill of Rights?

Climbing on the backs of dead children in front of the nearest TV camera (as you did on "Meet the Press" on the Sunday after the Newtown tragedy) to promote your narrow political agenda is wrong and misguided. You are a United States Senator who should act deliberately and carefully to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

• Upvote 1

Here, have another:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/try-senator-dianne-feinstein-federal-court-treason-constitution/TVq4dXPg

and this:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/create-28th-amendment-gun-ownership-privilege/tRJtD6L7

and a little humor in petition:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/eliminate-armed-guards-president-vice-president-and-their-families-and-establish-gun-free-zones/6RDGkxLK

edit: btw, what jblosser quoted above. Think of it this way. The number one cause of death in the 20th century was not warfare and combat, it was death by government. Citizens murdered by their own government. That part of freedom from tyranny has not changed.

Edited by ReconRat

The normally silent majority, better step up this time. Been reading some posts under news stories concerning gun control and there are some seriously retarded, delirious, unrealistic, want to live in a pretty, government managed, sterile bubble, people out there.

Edited by Gump

If she bans handguns that can accept a magazine >10 rounds, then that means all semis are banned, as they could all take an extended mag >10.

Will semi autos like my P226 become NFA grandfathered? What?

Looking at setting a a Scruit Family Firearms Trust that all my guns will be owned by, and my wife, my son and myself are members of. Then my grandfathered guns will be available for all my family to inherit for the future.