2013 Assault Weapons Ban Summary

Scruit

Montana wishes to amend the US constitution and amendments.

Lawmaker: Tweak Constitution to affirm gun rights

Basically wants to start with changing the Commerce Clause, so that the states have rights within their sovereign borders.

He said that in Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution the word “among” would be replaced with “between” so that it reads, “Congress shall have power … to regulate commerce with foreign nations, and interstate commerce between the several states, and with the Indian tribes.”

“States have the right to do what they wish inside their own borders,” he said.

Montana's statehood was of a type that requires state approval of federal changes that effect Montana.

The short story is that a majority of US states have called for the right to make whatever weapons they want without federal interference.

Following Montana’s enactment, virtually identical versions of the MFFA were adopted in Tennessee (SB1610); Utah (SB11); Wyoming (HB95); South Dakota (SB89); Arizona (HB2307); Idaho (HB589); and Alaska (HB1860). Representing a consensus among the states on the limits of federal power, virtually identical copies of the MFFA have also been introduced in the legislatures of 23 other states, for a total of 31 jurisdictions where it has been enacted or introduced.

edit: My take on this. If 34 states (now 34) are passing this legislation, then indeed the federal government has exercised power too far. State governments would not pass legislation of this type without good reason. The majority speaks. 68%.

edit: This is really kinda old news, it didn't go anywhere in many states, including Ohio. But the federal government did notice and wasn't happy.

Edited by ReconRat

Apparently the media is going into hypersensitivity mode and any shooting (other than where a conceal carry saves the day) is going to be thrust in the spotlight

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/01/16286049-gunfire-rings-in-a-deadly-new-year-across-us?lite

On another note, I was talking to a friend of mine today and he said that a couple from England used to come into his shop every year and at one point commented that in England, you pretty much expect your place to get broken into. Since there are no guns, the criminals have little fear of residents defending their property and there are so many break ins that police do little, if anything, about it.

Apparently the media is going into hypersensitivity mode and any shooting (other than where a conceal carry saves the day) is going to be thrust in the spotlight

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/01/16286049-gunfire-rings-in-a-deadly-new-year-across-us?lite

On another note, I was talking to a friend of mine today and he said that a couple from England used to come into his shop every year and at one point commented that in England, you pretty much expect your place to get broken into. Since there are no guns, the criminals have little fear of residents defending their property and there are so many break ins that police do little, if anything, about it.

In the UK there are many more "hot" burglaries (when people are home) but they tend to be more of a sneak-in and sneak-out at night, not home invasion style. Residents are expected to flee rather than confront.

Great video.
Tru dat. I followed the link and sent a message. I saw fit to point them to this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98FHuaU0

...which is 6 minutes long - 3 minutes longer than they spent reviewing the fiscal cliff agreement. I can't help it, I'm a smart ass. I doubt the message will ever get read anyway.

For those that don't have the time to watch the video - here is the link to send your elected officials a note of protest -

http://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.congress.org%2Fcongressorg%2Fmail%2F%3Falertid%3D61046526%26type%3DML&session_token=25C3w3CUl_ssmRdRSiUijtaF46p8MTM1NzI2OTEzNUAxMzU3MTgyNzM1

Edited by ScubaCinci

This is what Portman sent me back today. Have wrote him 3 times, got two responses back.

Dear Adam,

Thank you for contacting me about our Second Amendment rights. It is good to hear from you.

I am a gun owner who believes in the right to bear arms in defense of self, family and property. During my 12 years serving in Congress, I received an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association for defending our Constitutional Rights. I opposed the so-called "assault weapons ban" and opposed the Brady Bill. I supported repealing both the Clinton gun ban and the Washington, D.C. gun ban. I voted to protect the private information of gun owners; to protect state gun laws; and to protect firearm and ammunition manufacturers, dealers or importers from lawsuits and damages related to criminal misuse by a third party.

As a life-long hunter, I also believe the rights and freedoms of hunters must be guarded and I developed an executive order that the president signed to enhance hunting and fishing opportunities at wildlife refuges and national preserves. As your Senator, I will continue to protect our Constitutional freedoms and will be a strong advocate for preserving these rights and traditions for future generations.

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. For more information, I encourage you to visit my website at www.portman.senate.gov. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Rob Portman

U.S. Senator

The "choose your own stats" video is flawed. It compares us violent crime stats with uk, but the classifications are very different.

The us classification covers homicide, aggravated assault, robbery and rape. The uk numbers he uses don't include robbery and rape, but DO include simple assault (slap in the face) that the US number don't.

When you do an apples to apples comparison, it works out that the uk violent crime rate is ~730/100k. This is 2x the us rate, not 3.5x

The underlying point is valid, but be ready for the obvious criticism of the numbers he uses.

I got this automated response from Sherrod Brown.

Thank you for sending me your comments. Listening to the views of the people I represent in the U.S. Senate is a critical part of my job. I do my best to provide every Ohioan with a prompt response. If you have an urgent matter, please feel free to call any of my offices in Ohio or Washington, DC.

If you have not done so already, please visit my Senate website (http://brown.senate.gov) for comprehensive information about my work in the Senate, as well as constituent services that my office provides and how to get connected with federal programs.

Or, you may be interested in receiving my e-Newsletters to stay connected with what's happening in Congress of importance to Ohio. Sign up for regular updates on the work I am doing in the Senate, and please select a few issues to get newsletter updates on specific topics as subjects arise. Sign-up here: http://brown.senate.gov/newsletter/landing

Just go this from Bill Johnson.

January 4, 2013

Dear Mr. Frantz,

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts on regulating the sale and possession of firearms, particularly in light of the recent tragedy in Connecticut. I appreciate having the benefit of your views on this very important issue.

I can't even begin to process the emotions I feel because of the actions of a disturbed young man who senselessly took the lives of 20 innocent children and 6 loving teachers. As a father and a grandfather, my heart is broken – for the victims, their families, and for those first responders who will never get the images of that dreadful day out of their minds. While some will try to politicize these events by using their First Amendment rights to attack the Second Amendment rights of others, right now we should be focused on mourning for those who were lost, grieving with their families, and coming together to heal as a nation.

In the days ahead, we all, as Americans, will have a national conversation about how to reduce the violence that seems to permeate our culture, as well as how to ensure those with significant mental challenges are being appropriately identified, diagnosed, and treated so something like this never happens again. Please be assured that I will keep your comments in mind should the 113th Congress consider reforming gun regulations, or legislation addressing school safety and mental health treatment.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns. I also encourage you to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and at www.billjohnson.house.gov, so that you may keep track of my most recent work in Congress. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.