Looking at new cars need thoughts.

oldschoolsdime92

My truck is rated to pull 7200 but that doesn't mean shit if you can only put 500 on the bumper. I think a realistic max on a bumper hitch without some trick load-leveling is probably about 7.5x rated tongue weight.

I tried towing a ~5500lb trailer once and failed miserably. :nono:

Your bumper tow weight and running a proper class hitch is two entirely different things.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a Tundra you can tow a space shuttle..... I'm kidding btw. You will get no where close to good gas mileage especially while towing.

Maybe look at a Mitsubishi Outlander. I got 27 on the highway, when driving to Canada, never tried pulling anything with it. That's why I have the Tundra.

I checked the towing capacities for the 2007 Outlander which is what we have the 4wd version can tow 3500lbs, and the 2wd version can tow 2000lbs. There is only about 1mpg difference between the 2wd and 4wd versions. We have the 4wd version. We have 2 kids and they have no issues with space. WE also got the XLS version which came with a sunroof, GPS navigation, hands free calling, leather heated seats, and the Rockford Fosgate system with an 8 or 10 inch sub. It had like 35000k miles on it and I paid under 20k for it.

Edited by Meanie

I guess I dont know just how much 2000lbs is. It seems like a big number for a smaller vehicle, I feel like trucks are rated at 2000 lbs of towing or is that maybe the rating for using the bumper to tow?

No

My 2012 6 banger outback will tow 3000 pounds. Gets 25-27 highway, 23 average. Would get closer to 30 if I drove flat roads. Towing gets 23 highway. No power issues for towing. It does great. 300 pound tongue weight. Tows two quads fine, a third would be no problem. Not a fan of the traction control. If you're stuck it limits wheel spin. Turn it off and off you go. Great car so far.

+1 for the subarus outbacks. Very handy vehicles

2000lbs isn't much to tow. Most trucks are rated upwards of 10,000.

Most 1/2 tons can tow more. Not most trucks, 3/4 & 1 tons are significantly more.

IMO, as far as the Outback/Legacy Hatchbacks go, the 2009+ models are nicer. The older ones (aka: the hatch of my Legacy) look too small. Are you looking at CPO cars? The extended warranty is like 6yr/100k mi, not too shabby.

I used to have a Nissan Pathfinder that was a 5 speed, that would be perfect for you if you could find one. The older Jeep Cherokee Sports are pretty ideal too, and they run damn near forever.

Edited by Pokey

I think when you're in the impreza range its 2000 or 1500. I thought they didn't really advertise for towing with that car. In my opinion any mid sized car can pull a normal single axle utility trailer with a couple quads or 600# bikes. It comes down to common sense and how you load the trailer. I have a double axle horse trailer that might weigh 2000#'s but no way am I pulling it loaded and empty I'd have to drive very gently. The design of the trailer puts too many forces on the hitch.

My 2nd gen Tacoma DC 4wd 4.0L is 650lb tongue capable, and towing up to 6500lbs. Of course mileage wont be the greatest under load, and its only typically 20-21mpg highway, trailer free. If you opt for the 2.7L 4cyl version, the tongue/towing is about half as much but your mpg would improve.

I have 2011 Legacy 2.5i Premium with the CVT transmission. THis one has heated seats and heated outside mirror. THis is my first Subaru. Great mileage, usually 32 MPG and up. A summer highway drive to Charlotte, 77 south and the A/C on the entire trip, averaged 38 MPG at 70-75 MPH. The only negative is loading anything into the trunk. WIth the decklid short and not too tall, even loading a Xerox paper size box, you have to angle it in, and the top of the box scrapes the rubber weather seal.

In hindsight, I should have bought an Outback for the more room, and higher ground clearance.

I don't know the specs for towing on the Forester, but that might be option as a "small Outback"

I have owned two Outbacks and still have one. 1st one was hit and I sold it after repair.

Awesome cars and I have never owned a car that is so good on tires and brakes. 100k on my '02 Outback and I just replaced the front pads (resurfaced rotors) backs are still original. 2nd set of tires just went on. Gas mileage is not great 23-24 average city or highway. Only knock is that while they look big, they fill up fast, especially if you have passengers. So, top rack box almost becomes a necessity.

The other vehicle that I have thought of looking at and I wish Ford had done more with it is the http://www.ford.com/crossovers/flex/ They priced the damn thing too high and fuel economy blows but not much worse than the Subby. No clue on the reliability but given my luck with Subaru, I doubt it is better.

I have owned two Outbacks and still have one. 1st one was hit and I sold it after repair.

Awesome cars and I have never owned a car that is so good on tires and brakes. 100k on my '02 Outback and I just replaced the front pads (resurfaced rotors) backs are still original. 2nd set of tires just went on. Gas mileage is not great 23-24 average city or highway. Only knock is that while they look big, they fill up fast, especially if you have passengers. So, top rack box almost becomes a necessity.

The other vehicle that I have thought of looking at and I wish Ford had done more with it is the http://www.ford.com/crossovers/flex/ They priced the damn thing too high and fuel economy blows but not much worse than the Subby. No clue on the reliability but given my luck with Subaru, I doubt it is better.

The flex limited is actually pretty cool. Not sure about reliability but I have seen some higher mileage ones come through the auctions. The are pretty big too

I'm sure its great. My biggest concern is long term reliability. This is something I am planning to have for the next 8-10 years.

Subaru's reliability is legendary, they are 250k cars no problem. Why do you think Subaru has more repeat buyers than any other car company?