slumlords, get in here: renting out your house

jbot

Forget appointment showings. Set up an open house, leave agreements for prospectives to look at and applications for interested parties. Go over them at your leisure and reshow if needed. Trust me you will save a lot of time doing this.

I found this out very early in my interview process. I did line up 5 people on the same day, back to back....and no one showed up. I learned that lesson real quick. If you don't have the decency to show up on time or call, then I probably don't need you in my house.

Someone give me $40K so I can pay down my balance and sell.

Jbot, interested in htis as well. We are getting our house fixed up to market, but not sure if it would sell or how long it would take. I have a house I want to buy now, and the wife is okay with it as well, however we don't want 2 mtgs. We also don't want to rent if we don't have to, but would do it if found the right people.

I'll be following this closely. Rent is more than my mtg payment by a ton in our area, and people just cant get financing anymore like they used to.

Thanks for updating often.

I wouldn't want to carry 2 mortgages either. In your case, I would definitely sell, if you have equity in the house especially. I'm going into this understanding that there is risk in getting shitty tenants and having the house trashed, rent unpaid, possibly going through nightmare eviction process... To have to burden that risk AND possibly depend on the rent money to make payments to the second mortgage would be too much for me. the only reason I'm willing to risk it is cause my house is paid off and I'm partial to it and don't really want to sell (childhood home, its a good growing area, etc).

Regardless, I'm glad somebody appreciates it. I'm pretty much going to use this thread as my diary of being a first time noob landlord. Hopefully, this thread won't see too many expletives from me.

Didn't mean to offend you and there are exceptions to every thing Hell I drive a shitty truck and I own 4 houses Just ONE of the MANY things I take a look at when letting some one rent from me as it seams to work for me

But on the other hand if they own a motorcycle no need to check any more......................... there in

you didn't offend me, i just think your 'Judge 'em on their cars' opinion is dumb. ;) I think intuitively, people should know not to judge people by their cars. New cars are usually a dumb investment because of how quickly they devalue. How many people who 'can't afford' to pay for their children's food/clothes are rocking new escalades... I've seen a least a few. I've also known more people (I can think of several just off the top of my head) who are relatively rich who drive around old clunkers because cars are not where they want their money to go. So, if you're basing your opinion solely on vehicle, I think you may be pretty disappointed, and you'll probably miss out on some decent renters.

you didn't offend me, i just think your 'Judge 'em on their cars' opinion is dumb. ;) I think intuitively, people should know not to judge people by their cars. New cars are usually a dumb investment because of how quickly they devalue. How many people who 'can't afford' to pay for their children's food/clothes are rocking new escalades... I've seen a least a few. I've also known more people (I can think of several just off the top of my head) who are relatively rich who drive around old clunkers because cars are not where they want their money to go. So, if you're basing your opinion solely on vehicle, I think you may be pretty disappointed, and you'll probably miss out on some decent renters.

I think he meant the condition of the interior of their vehicle, not how new it is. If someone has a clean car that is 15 years old it is an indicative of their respect for their possessions.

I think he meant the condition of the interior of their vehicle, not how new it is. If someone has a clean car that is 15 years old it is an indicative of their respect for their possessions.

Or the fact that the dead hookers never see the outside of the trunk.

I'm OK with either.

As a potential landlord, are you going to walk up to someone's car and look inside?? I've never had a potential landlord get that close to my vehicle (probably not even within 20') while I'm checking out the place, and i think that would make me a little uncomfortable - its not reasonable in my opinion - so I'm guessing that they aren't saying judge from the messiness inside the car, but rather the general appearance of the vehicle.

I realize I didn't make my point very well, but no, how you treat your car isn't indicative of how you treat other people's property (a rental property). Also, if you have an old shitty car, who cares if its dirty? It gets you from place to place and that is its purpose. A rental house/apartment isn't yours to mess up.

• 1 month later...

I kinda sorta really wish the first choice tenant would've moved in (hot realtor lady) but oh wellllll. I'm due for my first visit at the house since my guys moved into the house. I'm going to have a house cleaner go in there soon too after they get their shit settled so they can start with a clean house.

I don't understand why people complain about getting hit if they won't say the safe word.

Just say "honorificabilitudinitatibus" and I'll fucking stop. No hard feelings.