Official anything Mt. Bike thread.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

I guess my problem is I have never been into mainstream bicycle types. I have had several recumbents, a fixed gear, a CrossCheck single speed and 45mm tires (commuter) and a fat bike for my mountain bike. Never owned a performance road bike or a mountain bike with suspension. 

Nothing wrong with that! One of the things I love about bicycles (and motorcycles too, for that matter) is the variety and self-expression they allow. Also why I want to someday own a half dozen of each.

I guess my problem is I have never been into mainstream bicycle types. I have had several recumbents, a fixed gear, a CrossCheck single speed and 45mm tires (commuter) and a fat bike for my mountain bike. Never owned a performance road bike or a mountain bike with suspension. 

i rode with a dude during mohican 100 who was riding a fat bike.  work for all those miles!

i rode with a dude during mohican 100 who was riding a fat bike.  work for all those miles!

Wow

Thats my goal. To do the mohican 100k on my fat bike. Ofcourse the goal will just be to finish before dark :)

Craig

he was doing the 100miler.  i dont know if he finished.  he was ahead of me at mile 52...then he stopped and never saw him again.

my girlfriend wants to do the 100k next year...so i plan on doing that with her...tired of the 100m.

Me, my gf, and my buddy hit Chestnut Ridge yesterday.  Trail was in great shape. 

There's a race there this weekend:

http://www.331racing.com/cms/event/chestnut/index.html

my gf and I will be entering it.  it will be her first mtn bike race.  She'll be doing beginner, I'll do the CAT 2 Sport race.

So where is a good total noob trail near the west side of cleveland?

Royalview trail in Millstream metroparks, Strongsville.

Nice easy trail and not too long. I would guess it will take a while to dry out from the recent rains though.

Canalway center in Cuyahoga is shorter and more challenging but is on a hillside so holds up pretty well to wet conditions.

Ive heard that Regan park in Medina is much better than either in the Cleveland metro parks and just a few more miles south, but I have not been yet.

Craig

Better as how its kept up or more challenging? I am just looking for some easy trails to break my cherry on.i been doing the paved metropark trails so far.

Both, its just plain better ride experience and more enjoyable trails as well.

Next question is roof rack mount or hatch back mount to carry the bike to the trails? I got a hatch back with a roof rack on it.

Hate my trunk rack so I vote for roof rack.

IMO, hitch receiver mount>roof rack>strap-on tail mount.

Spent last weekend on the trails at Stonewall Jackson Lake in WV. So, so fun! The trails were kinda raw and unkempt, but nice and challenging, and muddy! Good times. Our first ride there we did 10 miles and climbed 2000+ feet!

IMO, hitch receiver mount>roof rack>strap-on tail mount.

Spent last weekend on the trails at Stonewall Jackson Lake in WV. So, so fun! The trails were kinda raw and unkempt, but nice and challenging, and muddy! Good times. Our first ride there we did 10 miles and climbed 2000+ feet!

+1

If you already have the load bars for a roof rack then that is probably much cheaper than a hitch mount, otherwise get the hitch mount. Unless you have a short car getting the bike into a roof mount is a pain, and Im 6'2".

I really like the tray type systems like 

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1122106_-1_400170__400170

However it does not fit my fat bike easily :D

Craig

Better as how its kept up or more challenging? I am just looking for some easy trails to break my cherry on.i been doing the paved metropark trails so far.

I will say that the Royalview trail is a great trail to start on, especially if you are close. Any competent rider should be to complete the loop on a knobbie tired bike without much difficultly.

Craig  

No hitch on my car. The family suv has one though. Just looked i ride my bike down to rt 82 now on the bike path. It would be kind of a hike to ride there do the trail then ride home. Maybe that is what i could work u to.

Edited by speedytriple

No hitch on my car. The family suv has one though. Just looked i ride my bike down to rt 82 now on the bike path. It would be kind of a hike to ride there do the trail then ride home. Maybe that is what i could work u to.

If you are going to do a trunk mounted rack get a Saris Bones. Far better than any other I have tried. Thats what I usually use to carry my fat bike on the Beetle.

Craig

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My girlfriend and I r considering getting bikes, price range is $100-150 per bike (prob used) unless anybody can attempt to talking me into justifying spending $200-300+ on a new one. We have about 8-10 miles of trails where I live. I prefer a hybrid bike, with at least a front shock. I'm not to knowledgeable in this area beyond that.

I was able to find this on Amazon - but it seems to be too good of a deal to be true - and now that Schwinn sells their bikes at Wal-Mart, I question their quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Protocol-Dual-Suspension-Mountain-26-Inch/dp/B001IANSJ6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3Q4XO3VNRL250&coliid=I57OLZRXVM4L1&psc=1

I am going to go look around at a few local bike shops today to see if they have any deals. Any helpful suggestions are highly appreciated.

For the little trail riding I do I just went to dicks and got a diamond back hard tail with disk brakes. It is a little aggressive for bike path riding but works. It has handled my fat ass in the woods without breaking so far. I might have to get my front shocks upgraded though as they bottom out under bigger drops and small jumps. But I think most cheaper bikes are not going to be rated for my weight in the shock area. LOL! Do they make shocks for 240-250 pounds?

My girlfriend and I r considering getting bikes, price range is $100-150 per bike (prob used) unless anybody can attempt to talking me into justifying spending $200-300+ on a new one. We have about 8-10 miles of trails where I live. I prefer a hybrid bike, with at least a front shock. I'm not to knowledgeable in this area beyond that.

I was able to find this on Amazon - but it seems to be too good of a deal to be true - and now that Schwinn sells their bikes at Wal-Mart, I question their quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Protocol-Dual-Suspension-Mountain-26-Inch/dp/B001IANSJ6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3Q4XO3VNRL250&coliid=I57OLZRXVM4L1&psc=1

I am going to go look around at a few local bike shops today to see if they have any deals. Any helpful suggestions are highly appreciated.

Do not get "full" suspension. 

At that price range the suspension is mostly for looks and "feature" set. It will be much more effective in bouncing you up and down and robbing the power you are trying to put into the pedals.

"hybrid" bikes usually refer to bike path bikes. They are mainly targeted as comfortable, easy to ride bikes for smooth paved or gravel trails. 

I would suggest a decent used hardtail MTB would be a good place to start for off-road trails. Entry level models will be in the $400 range, so you may find so older used versions at half that.

Craig