Just ordered my new helmet!

Mary#17

I've been in an Arai for while now and am going back so I'm looking forward to it. The Arai was very nice but seemed louder and I hated changing the visor. I think Shoei is much simpler but this has a built in sun visor so that may be a none issue. Although I still really like dark shields for the look.

Mary

So jealous... Can't wait to get back into a shoei instead of this bell

Which Bell do you have? I got the RS-1 and I love it. I tried a Shoei RF-1100 on and it did not fit my head at all, so I guess that could be a big factor.

Which Bell do you have? I got the RS-1 and I love it. I tried a Shoei RF-1100 on and it did not fit my head at all, so I guess that could be a big factor.

It's all about how it fits your dome.

A $700 Arai will be miserable if it doesn't fit right. I don't think she was bashing Bell as a brand.

Scorpions fit my head better than several "nicer" helmets I have owned.

I buy most of my lids on close out anymore though. Between crashing them and the 5 year rule for racing, I try not to break the bank on what amounts to a relatively disposable piece of gear.

I made that mistake last year, broke a brand new model 400 down the tube.... sucks

I buy most of my lids on close out anymore though. Between crashing them and the 5 year rule for racing, I try not to break the bank on what amounts to a relatively disposable piece of gear.

Yeah, we did that with our race helmets too. Just bought closeouts. We have a mighty impressive helmet hall of shame ;) I can't get myself to throw them out regardless of how trashed they are. I have one helmet where I high-sided at Putnam and the way I landed made a perfect smiley face on the back. Quite odd but at least my helmet had a sense of humor.

Mary

Now you just need to tape up the lights on the Duc and come out to Nelsons and play with us, Mary.

:D

Ha! What I need is for my kids to get older so I don't have to pay for daycare anymore and that way I can get a dedicated track bike again!

How's the pavement at Nelson these days?

Ha! What I need is for my kids to get older so I don't have to pay for daycare anymore and that way I can get a dedicated track bike again!

How's the pavement at Nelson these days?

There's plenty of free daycare at the track. Just don't leave the youngin's with anyone going by the name John or Marty...especially don't with the two of them together.

:cool:

And Nelsons is Nelsons...just with more tires piled around the place.

There's plenty of free daycare at the track. Just don't leave the youngin's with anyone going by the name John or Marty...especially don't with the two of them together.

:cool:

And Nelsons is Nelsons...just with more tires piled around the place.

Thank you, I represent that! Now if my lovely wife comes she is safe, I however am not allowed around schools or daycares. I kid I kid.

I'm lookin at a new bucket myself. Wish there was a chart to see which helmets fit round heads and which fit oval heads....

Nate has some good stuff and good prices. STG is closing out Bell Stars for a pretty good price right now also. I don't know if others cater to head shapes as much as Arai does. I went from Arai to Star and I'm very happy with fit and comfort.

I'm lookin at a new bucket myself. Wish there was a chart to see which helmets fit round heads and which fit oval heads....

Check this web site out. They have LOTS of helmet reviews and actually have a fit guide like you are talking about.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

• Upvote 1

The new Star from Bell is now incorporating the RS-1 type shell. So, here forward, the Star shell will fit better...

Basically, Shoei, Arai, Top shelf Bells, the new HJC series that are renamed, etc are all great choices. You just need to get yourself fit and try things on and decide what fits you and fits into what you expect from it.

Personally, I hate the inner shield lids. They have a deeper cavity and the eye port is weird when the shield is up. But, they kinda make sense. I just don't see the hassle of having a shield in your bag for when it gets dark, etc... But, that's why they make all different sorts of helmets these days...

Basically, Shoei, Arai, Top shelf Bells, the new HJC series that are renamed, etc are all great choices. You just need to get yourself fit and try things on and decide what fits you and fits into what you expect from it.

Personally, I hate the inner shield lids. They have a deeper cavity and the eye port is weird when the shield is up. But, they kinda make sense. I just don't see the hassle of having a shield in your bag for when it gets dark, etc... But, that's why they make all different sorts of helmets these days...

You know... For a while I was so fixated on having an internal sun visor, I almost ignored other aspects of a helmet like fit, how clear the visor was, visor action, fogging, etc... Now neither of the helmets I use have an internal shield... On my Bell, I have the transition visor; problem solved. On my HJC, I have a mirror visor and a clear visor,with pinlock inserts (clear and smoked)... I don't really miss the internal shield now. My helmets fit much better, provide better vision, comfort, and ventilation.

That GT Air does look nice however... I may have to look into one when I'm looking into another helmet, but that'll be quite a while.

You know... For a while I was so fixated on having an internal sun visor, I almost ignored other aspects of a helmet like fit, how clear the visor was, visor action, fogging, etc... Now neither of the helmets I use have an internal shield... On my Bell, I have the transition visor; problem solved. On my HJC, I have a mirror visor and a clear visor,with pinlock inserts (clear and smoked)... I don't really miss the internal shield now. My helmets fit much better, provide better vision, comfort, and ventilation.

That GT Air does look nice however... I may have to look into one when I'm looking into another helmet, but that'll be quite a while.

Yes, the Bell transition shield is AMAZING and is probably what the industry will turn to at some point unless Bell has a solid patent on that technology within helmet shields.